nodiesop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

If you couldn't be on Keto, what is the next best diet?

I have been on Keto for 5 months, but I am volunteering overseas and I won't have the luxury of selecting many of my own foods as I will be tenting and eating food made for many.

Let's assume for a second that a high fat/protein diet will not be possible... what is the next best thing?

I'm assuming I will be knocked out of Keto. Is ok to consume low carbs outside of keto or will the high fat work adversely without being in this state?

ie: If I went to 20% carbs, 50% fats, 30% protein?

Not considering keto, what is another good diet to stick to?

One of the main benefits of keto for me is that there is a hard line when deciding what to eat... not very easy to cheat!

Thanks!

Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Nothing wrong with a "traditional diet":
    1) get in 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass
    2) get in .4g of fat per pound of body weight
    3) fill in the remainder of you calories however you see fit... more protein, more fat, carbs... whatever... and this can vary on a daily basis as long as 1 and 2 are met.

JTA762 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JTA762 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JTA762 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Personally, I'd say Paleo. Which is what I plan to switch to when/if I bulk.
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

GOAL:

For my job working with the USFS in Montana I must: be able to carry felled trees, lift boulders, ruck 70# puncheon planks, haul tools over 10 miles along with personal gear, and beat down the camp-invading brown bear. Kidding!

But I do want to be able to run full speed while chasing a bear with a can of pepper spray, screaming obscenities with a hand-rolled cigarette in my mouth.

DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Vivvid View Post
    Nothing wrong with a "traditional diet":
    I call bull****, if not only for the fact that what Monsanto to our food supply is wrong and its damn hard to avoid them when eating a "traditional" diet.

Robb Wolf's Paleo, Mark Sisson's Primal, Paul Jaminet's PerfectHealth Diet, or Dave Asprey's Bulletproof Diet.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=608052853&posted=1#post608052853

BEARS, CUBS, BULLS, HAWKS, SOX, MMA

alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is a very personal question and would depends on a personal goals, etc. I Would say carb cycling. Many different ways to do it. You could research to see which way to do it would benefit you most. Paleo is good too.

devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz
    South beach.
    USMC/USN Crew
    MWC

nodiesop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you everyone for the responses!

I will have a good look at Paleo and Carb Cycling.

I am not sure about South Beach... any explanation?

Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I wouldnt call a paleo a diet which stands out of others. Why? Except for that you try to ban sugar compeltely (as most high GI carbs as well) and not eat "processed" foods.
    But once you take bite out of that hamburger and its gets broken down into nutrients, your body wont know the difference if its either processed or not processed.

PonyBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PonyBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PonyBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PonyBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PonyBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PonyBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PonyBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PonyBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PonyBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Just do low carb then (below 100g carb).

Simple.

DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Vivvid View Post
    But once you take bite out of that hamburger and its gets broken down into nutrients, your body wont know the difference if its either processed or not processed.
    Huh? Ever heard of free radicals created by that breakdown, mold in food, pseudo-estrogen (anything with soy,) nutrient availability, and bpa?

There's tons of reasons why eating real food is better than eating processed stuff. But you dont have to take my word for it, try it for yourself and see if you dont feel better.

I wouldnt know, there in the EU food in general is a lot healthier imo.
    But still protein stays protein, carbs stay carbs nothign that processed and nomn processed can change about that.

15BodyFat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 15BodyFat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 15BodyFat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 15BodyFat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 15BodyFat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 15BodyFat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 15BodyFat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 15BodyFat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 15BodyFat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 15BodyFat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by DustyChicago View Post
    Huh? Ever heard of free radicals created by that breakdown, mold in food, pseudo-estrogen (anything with soy,) nutrient availability, and bpa?

There's tons of reasons why eating real food is better than eating processed stuff. But you dont have to take my word for it, try it for yourself and see if you dont feel better.
    You got scientific articles proving your bold claims? Published in a medical journal would be preferable.

I lived off street markets for a month in Colombia, buying fresh chicken / veggies and didnt notice any "difference". Its all a placebo effect in your head. To each his own.

Originally Posted by 15BodyFat View Post
    You got scientific articles proving your bold claims? Published in a medical journal would be preferable.

I lived off street markets for a month in Colombia, buying fresh chicken / veggies and didnt notice any "difference". Its all a placebo effect in your head. To each his own.
    A simple search of pub med should suffice: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898551/ http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898551/ and here's one from Davey Asprey http://www.bulletproofexec.com/mycotoxins-in-america/

But its not like you'd expect to find too many articles in medical journals given the high cost of peer-reviewed research the dominance of the pharmo-industrial complex in the United States.

People gotta try it out for themselves and see if it works... I just think paleo/primal is a good place to start.