Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SBHayes View Post
    The immediate thing I see is your elbow position... this seems to be where your form problems start. I'm supposin' that some crossfitter dick told you to push them back to puff your traps and create a platform for the bar.
    NO.
    Pull your elbows forward--it'll automatically keep your upper back pulled back, keeping your back non-arched and in a more upright position. With your back in a more upright position, it'll shift the weight back, allowing you to sit back into the hole better without pushing your knees forward.

Incorporate box squats, too... even if you just grab a milk crate for them. It helps push home the 'sit back' form, as well as serves as a depth marker.

Lastly, as soon as the form comes to ya, add weight! Grow the muscles and let their memory guide you.

Can't wait to see your improvement vids! -SBH
    Rippetoe says to keep your elbows back actually....
    And I heard box squats arent safe because once you sit down on the box, all of the load gets put onto your spine and hip.

Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dafushnizz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hammerfelt View Post
    The reason all of those machine lifts do not feel natural is because they are not natural.

StrongLifts http://stronglifts.com/ would be a very good workout for you. It starts with an empty bar on most lifts.

Starting with an empty bar lets you get your form down while the weight is still light.

You need to sit back more, your knees are travelling well beyond your feet. You will probably have to lean even more to keep your balance. The bar should be moving straight up and down, it almost looks like you have a circular motion.
    Thanks man. Repped

Originally Posted by MichaelCJ View Post
    Yes, you should give up squats. They've been known to make bodies grow balls, after all.

In case that doesn't bother you, have a look at SquatRx on Youtube (do a search there). It's a series of videos that will take you through almost everything you need to know about squats of nearly every kind (but mostly back squats).
    I wasn't srs bout quitting squats. Just pissed.

Originally Posted by jayshort21 View Post
    Buy the book Starting Strength.

There is over a 100 page chapter on how to low bar squat. It helped me a ton. Very in depth and descriptive
    Ooooooh i'm up for a good rippetoe book. Does it matter which edition?

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dafushnizz View Post
    And yet you will see elite squatters do the opposite.

There are some things all squatters should do, but others are dependent on the person. Try pointing your elbows down and see if it works for you.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

georgina5505 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No! Definitely no to giving up, practice makes perfect- just keep focussing on getting the form right and it will feel natural in no time... Then you can have fun adding the weight!

Try moving more thoroughly your hips and drive your tail bone to the floor, I found that helped me.

Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
    And yet you will see elite squatters do the opposite.

There are some things all squatters should do, but others are dependent on the person. Try pointing your elbows down and see if it works for you.
    Should i still put my hand close together to feel tight.

xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000)
    if you're even questioning giving up then just ****ing do it.

we all know that if you're not good at something the only option is quitting.
    trying to get strong again

training log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178444371&p=1605861201#post1605861201

For uneventful videos of me lifting
    https://www.instagram.com/jawn.mcintyre/

Originally Posted by xRequiem View Post
    if you're even questioning giving up then just ****ing do it.

we all know that if you're not good at something the only option is quitting.
    people srsly need to read the replies. I said like 3 times that i wasnt srs. i was just pissed

Colluctor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colluctor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colluctor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colluctor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colluctor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colluctor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colluctor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colluctor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colluctor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colluctor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Colluctor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by psychodiver9 View Post
    Eat more and squat more. You dOnt need knee wraps for a 70 lb squat
    Those are knee sleeves mate. Don't provide any real boost to the lift, just keep the joints warm.

xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000) xRequiem is a name known to all. (+5000)
    people srsly need to read the replies. I said like 3 times that i wasnt srs. i was just pissed
    oo I sorry for not reading the whole thread. we cool man?
    trying to get strong again

training log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178444371&p=1605861201#post1605861201

For uneventful videos of me lifting
    https://www.instagram.com/jawn.mcintyre/

SBHayes is not very well liked. (-100) SBHayes is not very well liked. (-100) SBHayes is not very well liked. (-100) SBHayes is not very well liked. (-100) SBHayes is not very well liked. (-100) SBHayes is not very well liked. (-100) SBHayes is not very well liked. (-100) SBHayes is not very well liked. (-100) SBHayes is not very well liked. (-100) SBHayes is not very well liked. (-100) SBHayes is not very well liked. (-100)
    And I heard box squats arent safe because once you sit down on the box, all of the load gets put onto your spine and hip.
    I don't put any weight on the box when I use it. I actually use a milk crate... I doubt it'd hold much, not to mention a loaded bar plus my fat ass, haha. I also throw a 3 inch soft foam on top so no weight gets transferred to the crate--just use it for the feel of sitting back into the hole.

not actually a goose goosefrabbas's Avatar
    goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So where does the weight get transferred to from the foam?
    Meet: 440/248/485 = 1173@144 sp

My powerlifting log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135067661&page=39

Originally Posted by xRequiem View Post
    oo I sorry for not reading the whole thread. we cool man?
    lol sure y not.

Originally Posted by Colluctor View Post
    Those are knee sleeves mate. Don't provide any real boost to the lift, just keep the joints warm.
    this right here

turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turkey_server is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ooooooh i'm up for a good rippetoe book. Does it matter which edition?
    Yes.
    ND sucks.

Originally Posted by turkey_server View Post
    Yes.
    Which edition then?...

marzelo is not very well liked. (-100) marzelo is not very well liked. (-100) marzelo is not very well liked. (-100) marzelo is not very well liked. (-100) marzelo is not very well liked. (-100) marzelo is not very well liked. (-100) marzelo is not very well liked. (-100) marzelo is not very well liked. (-100) marzelo is not very well liked. (-100) marzelo is not very well liked. (-100) marzelo is not very well liked. (-100)
    Do the exercises you feel comfortable with, you DON'T NEED ANY EXERCISE, squats is just one merely exercise amongst many others, the only thing that matters is that you're comfortable training

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    When I go low bar my elbows have to point back, when I set up with a higher bar position I can get my arms under me like I was doing a behind the neck military press.

If you use your torso's midline as a reference I don't really see how you could get your elbows more under you or out front without doing some decent damage to your shoulders from the low bar position.

I know you have probably been told to use starting strength as your main reference which is great, but do not take 1 person's idea of form as law. You came here to ask the advice of other trainees and they are giving it to you, so every time you want to respond with "but rippetoe says..." just don't. There are more then one way to go about doing things and while yes it can be confusing, you have to be willing to listen and learn even if it might go against what you currently "know" to be the "right" way.

Box squats are more then safe, just don't slam down onto the box and you'll be fine ( but I honestly wouldn not reccommend doing them at your level simply because most people who have been training for some time don't do them correctly either, so you're going to better off working the full range and movement while you are teahcing your body to get better at it, boxes can come later).

Do yourself a favor and watch eveyr video posted in this thread, even if you only take ONE useful peice of information or a particular cue to help better home in on your form, it will be worth it. I remember when I noticed my right knee caving in while squatting and every rep after that always made sure to push my knees out and how much of a positive effect it had on my progress. That was just one simply cue I would tell myself coming out of the hole, and it completely changed the feeling and my ability to squat. At some point after 100's and thousands of reps things will just click.

A good thing to think about when just starting out ( as people tend to only bend their knees and not hips which is why they feel full rnage when they are really only a quarter range down) is to sit back just like your were descending into a chair or onto a toilet.

Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post
    When I go low bar my elbows have to point back, when I set up with a higher bar position I can get my arms under me like I was doing a behind the neck military press.

If you use your torso's midline as a reference I don't really see how you could get your elbows more under you or out front without doing some decent damage to your shoulders from the low bar position.

I know you have probably been told to use starting strength as your main reference which is great, but do not take 1 person's idea of form as law. You came here to ask the advice of other trainees and they are giving it to you, so every time you want to respond with "but rippetoe says..." just don't. There are more then one way to go about doing things and while yes it can be confusing, you have to be willing to listen and learn even if it might go against what you currently "know" to be the "right" way.

Box squats are more then safe, just don't slam down onto the box and you'll be fine ( but I honestly wouldn not reccommend doing them at your level simply because most people who have been training for some time don't do them correctly either, so you're going to better off working the full range and movement while you are teahcing your body to get better at it, boxes can come later).

Do yourself a favor and watch eveyr video posted in this thread, even if you only take ONE useful peice of information or a particular cue to help better home in on your form, it will be worth it. I remember when I noticed my right knee caving in while squatting and every rep after that always made sure to push my knees out and how much of a positive effect it had on my progress. That was just one simply cue I would tell myself coming out of the hole, and it completely changed the feeling and my ability to squat. At some point after 100's and thousands of reps things will just click.

A good thing to think about when just starting out ( as people tend to only bend their knees and not hips which is why they feel full rnage when they are really only a quarter range down) is to sit back just like your were descending into a chair or onto a toilet.
    Thanks alot man. Repd

viralencore84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) viralencore84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) viralencore84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) viralencore84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) viralencore84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) viralencore84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) viralencore84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) viralencore84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Please check my squat form. Please don't regard the light weight. My legs are week. Low bar back squat.

So I need help. I'm very desperate. I can't squat. Nothing feels natural lately when i squat. My hips feel so uncomfortable when i squat i hate it. I get slight pains in my knee usually and i can never find the sweet spot for feet positioning. Sometimes i even get light hip pain. Also, like a already said, my legs are unnaturally weak. I have done wrestling before so i'm confused how my legs could be so weak. Not even leg press(45 degree), leg extensions or leg curls feel natural. My gym has a leg press that goes straight forward and back but the ROM sucks. Also this is a very big problem for me, when i squat, once i go past a certain point a tendon starts to like click in and out of place (it is not injured). I can't explain it well. There is a tendon on the outside and opposite side of knee. That thing feels like it clicks inward then when i come up it clicks back into spot. I do have flat feet and was told 2 years ago i have immature knees (not sure if they still are). I'm thinking of quitting doing legs and giving up my desire from switching from bodybuilding to powerlifting since my legs suck and i can't deadlift, back squat, front squat, clean,etc. Now that you understand my problem you can see why i am desperate for help. By the way, yes i have watched multiple squat form videos.
    -How do I build a strong leg foundation that will give me the power to squat (without squatting ofc).
    -How should i warmup my legs properly
    -How do i check my leg flexibility and check for muscle imbalances and tightness/weakness
    -How do i strengthen my back well (how frequently, rep range, sets, and exercise)
    -How do i strengthen my knees like crazy
    -How to overall fix my legs

I know this is alot. But thank you in advance to anyone that helps.

Try Anderson Squats. Start out light though!

Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Based on the video I can see the arch in your foot collapsing and your knees cave in--which pushes your hips back and makes you compensate by dropping your torso. Look into ankle mobility and plantar faciscitis stretches. I wouldn't be surprised if you currently have knee pain. PM me if you need anymore help.

Originally Posted by Wolfex View Post
    Based on the video I can see the arch in your foot collapsing and your knees cave in--which pushes your hips back and makes you compensate by dropping your torso. Look into ankle mobility and plantar faciscitis stretches. I wouldn't be surprised if you currently have knee pain. PM me if you need anymore help.
    I can't msg u. ur inactive. is stepping on lacrosse balls good for my plantar faciscitis?

evilone777 is just really nice. (+1000) evilone777 is just really nice. (+1000) evilone777 is just really nice. (+1000) evilone777 is just really nice. (+1000) evilone777 is just really nice. (+1000) evilone777 is just really nice. (+1000) evilone777 is just really nice. (+1000) evilone777 is just really nice. (+1000) evilone777 is just really nice. (+1000) evilone777 is just really nice. (+1000) evilone777 is just really nice. (+1000)
    perfect practice makes perfect op keep trying and dont forget to eat
    Deadlift Junkies

Few men during their lifetime comes anywhere near exhausting the resources dwelling within them. There are deep wells of strength that are never used-Richard E. Byrd

I've never seen anybody that wants to be good as much as this kid-my coach

"There is no reason to be alive if you can't do DEADLIFT"--Jon Pall Sigmarsson

Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You need to work on your mobility and your technique. Google Mobilitywod by Kelly Starrett.
    You have a tight thoracic spine, horrible ankle mobility, and weak hamstrings.

I think out of all those, your ankle flexibility is your main problem. Your ankle mobility is very poor, so when you break parallel, you are compensating by shifting the weight more toward the front of your foot, causing knee pain. Again, use mobilitywod.com for proper exercises to increase mobility.

For your bodyweight, that squat isn't the lightest thing in the world. Don't just look at the weight your lifting, but your bodyweight as well.

Originally Posted by Samosaurus View Post
    You need to work on your mobility and your technique. Google Mobilitywod by Kelly Starrett.
    You have a tight thoracic spine, horrible ankle mobility, and weak hamstrings.

I think out of all those, your ankle flexibility is your main problem. Your ankle mobility is very poor, so when you break parallel, you are compensating by shifting the weight more toward the front of your foot, causing knee pain. Again, use mobilitywod.com for proper exercises to increase mobility.

For your bodyweight, that squat isn't the lightest thing in the world. Don't just look at the weight your lifting, but your bodyweight as well.
    Finally someone that talks crap bout my form. thx honestly. that helps.

Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I can't msg u. ur inactive. is stepping on lacrosse balls good for my plantar faciscitis?
    Yeah, you could try that. Just youtube planter fascia stretches/rehab.

Also work on ankle mobility. Find Bryce lewis' channel on youtube and find his ankle mobility video

Also, do some research on foot mobility. Here's something to get you started.

http://70sbig.com/blog/2011/12/foot-drills/