Thread: foam roller?

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

foam roller?

So i've noticed some buttwink in my squats, and maybe my deadlifts (still trying to figure out my form, working on getting a smooth video uploaded) and i've read about and gotten recommendations for dynamic stretching. does this mean that buttwink is caused by poor flexibility? i can't touch my toes.

will using foam roller exercises help develop long term flexibility in my lower back and hamstring or is it a short term solution to allow me to exercise better?

regardless, does it matter if i go buy a cheap generic foam roller or should i buy a better one? and if foam roller exercises don't lead to long term flexibility then what does?

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I bought a foam roller at Target, but it quickly started self-compressing. I also own the top selling one from amazon, it seems to hold up a lot better -
    http://www.amazon.com/Black-High-Den...ds=foam+roller

You don't need anything larger than the 18".

Foam rollers are useful for a dynamic warmup, and for massaging the muscle. They don't - in and of themselves - improve your flexibility. However, I use mine with the "Defranco Agile 8" and it's helped my hip flexibility a lot - I think just by warming up the hip before squatting.

I know this sounds contradictory, but...it is how it is...

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
    I bought a foam roller at Target, but it quickly started self-compressing. I also own the top selling one from amazon, it seems to hold up a lot better -
    http://www.amazon.com/Black-High-Den...ds=foam+roller

You don't need anything larger than the 18".

Foam rollers are useful for a dynamic warmup, and for massaging the muscle. They don't - in and of themselves - improve your flexibility. However, I use mine with the "Defranco Agile 8" and it's helped my hip flexibility a lot - I think just by warming up the hip before squatting.

I know this sounds contradictory, but...it is how it is...
    I use some of Defranco's warm-ups as well, from his Amped DVDs. When I started using a foam roller it was as if I'd discovered something made of magic. I found just a few minutes was equivalent to 10x that amount of time traditional stretching. It certainly helps with flexibility as part of an overall conditioning program.

The rollers generally come in blue and black. The blue is good for starting off. The black is a bit more rigid. Some people even progress to using PVC pipe. Use whatever works for you. As far as size, I like the bigger ones because I have a wide back and the smaller ones don't seem to have the same effect.

nmarquis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nmarquis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nmarquis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nmarquis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nmarquis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nmarquis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nmarquis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nmarquis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nmarquis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nmarquis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nmarquis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    regardless of flexibility, I highly recommend a foam roller. I was given a "rumble roller" from a friend (it's a beach body product) and I love it because it gets MUCH deeper into the tissue. It loosens up the muscles and allows them to both open up for a better workout, and reduce recovery time. I swear by a decent foam roller.

Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    So i've noticed some buttwink in my squats, and maybe my deadlifts (still trying to figure out my form, working on getting a smooth video uploaded) and i've read about and gotten recommendations for dynamic stretching. does this mean that buttwink is caused by poor flexibility? i can't touch my toes.

will using foam roller exercises help develop long term flexibility in my lower back and hamstring or is it a short term solution to allow me to exercise better?

regardless, does it matter if i go buy a cheap generic foam roller or should i buy a better one? and if foam roller exercises don't lead to long term flexibility then what does?

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    ones in the mail on the way to me, thanks for the help!

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm happy I saw this thread. It's reminded me that I need to spend more time with my foam rollers.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Adramalech is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adramalech is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adramalech is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adramalech is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adramalech is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adramalech is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adramalech is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adramalech is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adramalech is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adramalech is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adramalech is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    ones in the mail on the way to me, thanks for the help!
    Just don't forget to use it. If you lift heavy, take the damn thing to the gym with you and use it between sets. And you reminded me that I need to order a better one. I'm a fat ass and need really dense rollers or ones with a plastic core.

Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    Just don't forget to use it. If you lift heavy, take the damn thing to the gym with you and use it between sets. And you reminded me that I need to order a better one. I'm a fat ass and need really dense rollers or ones with a plastic core.
    Any reasoning for that, thought they are mostly for recovery to help with DOMS and warm up before workout. I only use it when muscles feel sore.