Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Good site to buy a barbell from?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good bar for use at home.

I really like a specific York bar which is on a website called Adamant Barbell. I can't post the link because I'm new here.

It's in my price range. Has anyone used this site before? Or can someone recommend me a good site to purchase from?
    Thanks.

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Get a quote from Allison Foreman directly from York Barbell. She will likely beat the retailers price and service.

allisonforeman@aol.com

Out of curiosity, what bar are you looking at?
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] Equipment Crew #57 [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

[]──[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #26 []──[]

❍--❍ York Barbell Club #34 ❍--❍

☆☆☆ That On3 Cr3w That Has Too Much Pow3r Cr3w ☆☆☆

SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) SymCL is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BloodType3R View Post
    Get a quote from Allison Foreman directly from York Barbell. She will likely beat the retailers price and service.

allisonforeman@aol.com

Out of curiosity, what bar are you looking at?
    It's model number 32110. It seems to be the all-around best deal for the price.

Should I just send an email asking for a quote for that model number?

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Here's a link for others to see..
    http://www.adamantbarbell.com/Olympi...ar-Chrome-28mm

Here it is at a retailer that seems to be fairly trusted around here (not that Adament is not, I'm just not familiar with them either way)..
    http://www.gtechfitness.com/york-nee...ympic-bar.aspx

I'd still strongly reccomend contacting Allison for anything York being purchased new.

As far as the bar goes, it is an interesting bar for the price point though I'm not sure that I can offer much more info than the spec sheets can.

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)
    Adamant Barbell is a solid company. I've bought plates from them twice. Service was good, and shipping was fast.

That being said, what kind of training do you do, Powerlifting, Olympic lifting? For the price of that York bar, you could get a Buddy Capps Texas Power bar, which is about the nicest all around bar I've ever used. There is a rep around here that could get the Buddy Capps bar to you under $300 shipped.

If you insist on the York bar, Allison is probably the way to go, if shipping doesnt kill you. The good thing about Adamant barbell is that they cap shipping at $50.

Here's a link for others to see..
    Thanks for posting the link.

I'll definitely send an email out. In the meantime if anyone has any comments about this bar or they could suggest a different one at $300, that'd be great.

Originally Posted by Paulie_G View Post
    Adamant Barbell is a solid company. I've bought plates from them twice. Service was good, and shipping was fast. That being said, what kind of training do you do, Powerlifting, Olympic lifting? For the price of that York bar, you could get a Buddy Capps Texas Power bar, which is about the nicest all around bar I've ever used.
    I'm on the tail end of Starting Strength, all of my lifts are getting to an intermediate point I suppose you could say; my progress is continually stalling and I think it's time to move on to something different.

That said power cleans are by far my favorite lift and I have been learning the power snatch. So I think I might continue down an "Oly lifting" road now that I have the confidence to move weight around with some of those movements. I mostly want the bar generally for working out on the days I don't feel like taking the bus to the gym.
    Last edited by SymCL; 05-17-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Adamant Barbell is a solid company. I've bought plates from them twice. Service was good, and shipping was fast. That being said, what kind of training do you do, Powerlifting, Olympic lifting? For the price of that York bar, you could get a Buddy Capps Texas Power bar, which is about the nicest all around bar I've ever used.
    ^This.
    Is there a reason that you feel the need for a needle bearing bar? Will this be your only bar?

^This.
    Is there a reason that you feel the need for a needle bearing bar? Will this be your only bar?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that a needle bearing bar would be better for things like power cleans and power snatches. Like I said I'm wrapping up SS and I am looking for an intermediate program. If there is a good basic Oly lifting program I would consider doing that if I could find someone adept enough to really teach me the lifts. I love those movements a lot.

I have a cheap sporting good's store bar at home but it sucks, I get a lot of metal splinters from it and I think I bent it doing deadlifts.
    Last edited by SymCL; 05-17-2013 at 09:43 AM.

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This seller has 100% positive feedback and has this bar in stock if you decide to go this route.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BUDDY-CA...item23298bb480

Legend Fitness in Knoxville, Tn. also sells them at a good price.
    Last edited by deadwoodgregg; 05-17-2013 at 09:43 AM.
    []---[] Equipment crew member #51 []---[]

What's the difference between a PL bar and any other bar?

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by deadwoodgregg View Post
    This seller has 100% positive feedback and has this bar in stock if you decide to go this route.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BUDDY-CA...item23298bb480

Legend Fitness in Knoxville, Tn. also sells them at a good price.
    Yeah, Andrew @ Legend gave me a nice quote. I think he is bringing me another Buddy Capps bar next week.

Originally Posted by SymCL View Post
    What's the difference between a PL bar and any other bar?
    Quite a bit. Knurl pattern, thickness ofthe shaft, sleeve assembly method, etc.

If you are going to be doing soley Olympic lifts (Snatch, Clean and Jerk), the York seems like it could be a good entry level bearing bar.
    If your training is going to revolve around Squats, Bench Presses, Deadlifts then the Capps Texas Power Bar is the way to go.

Quite a bit. Knurl pattern, thickness ofthe shaft, sleeve assembly method, etc.

If you are going to be doing soley Olympic lifts (Snatch, Clean and Jerk), the York seems like it could be a good entry level bearing bar.
    If your training is going to revolve around Squats, Bench Presses, Deadlifts then the Capps Texas Power Bar is the way to go.
    I plan on doing deadlifts with this bar as well. I'm not a huge dude but my eventual goal is a 400 pound deadlift. I'd imagine the York bar could take that.

My plan is to set up a push/pull where I can do the pull portion at home and do the push days at the gym before class. And I would also be using the bar to get comfortable with Oly lifts. I'd imagine it's the better buy here.

I'd reccomend you check out the Pendlay forums for some ideas on Olympic training programs. While you're over there, check out the Pendlay NexGen bars as I think they would also be good options for your training preferences. You should be able to find some feedback on those bars here too. See what "Pendlay NexGen" shows up with the search function.

Originally Posted by jreacher View Post
    Also check out Rogue Fitness. Got my bar from them, and they have a great selection. The details on their site make it easy to compare bars.
    ^Good advice.

SymCL, we seem to have both been crossing paths by adding info and doing edits to our posts. Based on the details that you've added, I would not reccomend the Texas Power Bar for you.
    For a multipurpose bar leaning towards O-lifts, I'd suggest looking at: Pendlay NexGens, Rep Fitness Excalibur, CAP OB-86, Rouge Bar
    Honestly, there just isn't much feedback available for that York bar that you are looking at. The specs seem fair enough but there may be a better bar for the price. If you do decide to get that bar, definitely share your feedback with us.

oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you looking to do Oly lifts and power lifts and want a good all around bar think about CAP's OB-86B. Can usually get it around $144 and it has good reviews. You can search this site for reviews and/or Google. People who own it seem to like and its generally considered the best bang for your buck bar.

judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by oldskooler View Post
    If you looking to do Oly lifts and power lifts and want a good all around bar think about CAP's OB-86B. Can usually get it around $144 and it has good reviews. You can search this site for reviews and/or Google. People who own it seem to like and its generally considered the best bang for your buck bar.
    +1. I have one, as do a lot of other members, and really like it. It's current only $132.74 at Wayfair, plus there's probably a 10% coupon floating around:

http://www.wayfair.com/Cap-Barbell-S...B-CBB1047.html

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The York bar you are looking at is ok... I've used it. It's an entry level Olympic lifting bar. It would be ok if you that is all you are using it for. You can do better for $300.

My Texas power bar gets quite a bit of use, but is also a pretty one dimensional bar. The knurl is really aggressive which makes it a poor choice for cleans or high rep dead lifts. It is a great bar for the price, but you won't be doing any Olympic lifts with it.

The best bar I've used in this price range is the York 32004. Well built, very versatile and has a great knurl. It is chrome which some people do not like like, but it will be able to do whatever you need it to forever. The York B&R bar that is available at Rogue is the same bar with a few design changes and no chrome plating. Some people have had quality issues with the B&R (self included), but I'm told the issues on newer bars have been resolved. The difference between the bar you are looking at and the B&R is night and day.

The Rep fitness bar has a review on here and has amazing specs for the price also.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

Originally Posted by oldskooler View Post
    That was actually my first choice for a bar because of the specs and price point.

I remember researching something along the lines of "what makes a barbell good" or whatever and the literature I read said it came down to a 28mm width and the different types of bearings/bushings. I was just reading about how some of the midpoint York bars don't live up to their quality.

$300 is about the limit I'm willing to spend on just the bar for now. I don't see why that wouldn't suffice for a long while.

Anyways they may all be a sort of moot point since I'm not that experienced yet, but I do want something worth the money and investment and something which I can use for a while. I do like that CAP bar a lot.

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    That was actually my first choice for a bar because of the specs and price point.

I remember researching something along the lines of "what makes a barbell good" or whatever and the literature I read said it came down to a 28mm width and the different types of bearings/bushings. I was just reading about how some of the midpoint York bars don't live up to their quality.

$300 is about the limit I'm willing to spend on just the bar for now. I don't see why that wouldn't suffice for a long while.

Anyways they may all be a sort of moot point since I'm not that experienced yet, but I do want something worth the money and investment and something which I can use for a while. I do like that CAP bar a lot.
    The Cap bar is a great value. Owning both the OB86B and OB86PB, the former is certainly my choice for best value. So far, not overly impressed with the PB version.

28mm does not make a good bar. That is the standard for Olympic Weightlifting, and allows the bar to flex and whip appropriately for those lifts. Power bars are usually a bit thicker (29mm).

Steel strength and sleeve construction determine a good bar. Bearing vs bushing depends on the use of the bar, not how good it is.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

Right now, I own a TPB, and both the OB86B and OB86PB bars. For Squats, deads, and bench, I've never used a better bar than the TPB. As for aggressive Knurling...well, it is aggressive, but I use Versa Gripps when I deadlift, so the aggressive knurling helps, not hinders.

The CAPS bars are good, but they have always felt a bit "bulky" when doing OL's. Not sure how to explain it. So, I'm not sure I'd go that direction, if you are going to move more in that direction.

Right now, I own a TPB, and both the OB86B and OB86PB bars. For Squats, deads, and bench, I've never used a better bar than the TPB. As for aggressive Knurling...well, it is aggressive, but I use Versa Gripps when I deadlift, so the aggressive knurling helps, not hinders.

The CAPS bars are good, but they have always felt a bit "bulky" when doing OL's. Not sure how to explain it. So, I'm not sure I'd go that direction, if you are going to move more in that direction.
    At this point you guys have convinced me to look into either the OB86B or the Rogue Bar. I like the Rogue Bar a lot, I've just been reading up on it to see if it's worth the extra money. Shipping from Rogue Fitness is pretty cheap.

JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As mentioned above check out the Rep Fitness Excalibur. It was just reviewed here a few days ago and does have some great specs.

http://www.repfitness.com/weightlift...te-olympic-bar

The OB-86B is great bar for the money without a doubt and probably has to be the best bang for the buck at around $130-140 shipped.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Someone above mentioned getting the CAP OB86B from Wayfair. I just thought I would mention that if you look around online, you should be able to find a coupon, and I believe they ship for free, which probably represents a pretty big savings.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you're considering the Rogue bar for some reason get their Ohio black oxide. Have you used a Rogue bar and liked it? If not might not like their knurl. OB86 knurl looks better and people that have it confirm it's nice and soft.

Rogue bar is also 150K tensile which is weak compared to 185K B&R and that new 200+K Excalibur bar.

And a cheap needle bearing bar sounds like a bad idea. Stick to bushings, when well oiled you can't tell them apart from needle bearings. One of these Ivanko articles covers the needle hype http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/ and challenges anyone to tell apart bushings and bearings in a blindfold test.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

I agree that the cheap needle bearing is a bad idea now that I have a better understanding about why bars are priced the way they are.

I've been looking into the Excalibur bar and I like that one too. I would like to buy the bar now and then not have to really worry about it for a long time.

I have no idea what bars I've used, the one at home is a real cheap one, the ones at my gym are pretty forgettable, and the ones in the college gym are forgettable as well. The one thing I wish my bar had is a bit more aggressive knurling. I sweat a lot and bar doesn't really grip my hand back. However the ones at the gyms are fine so I am thinking that my current bar is such a POS that anything and everything will be a massive improvement.

Would a "soft knurl" suggest that it doesn't rip your hands up?

Also, a lot of bars seem to be advertised as "maintenance free" but is there anything you can do to take really good care of them?

Another question I have is about bumper plates. I've never used them, when I do power cleans I always control the weight when I'm lowering it. I plan on switching gyms to one where I can really get into those types of lifts but for home I wanted to get two plates, like two 45s. I was wondering if I could put just those two bumper plates on the bar then use smaller regular plates to add weight? Is that safe? So the bumpers would hit the ground but there would still be standard plates on the bar.
    Last edited by SymCL; 05-18-2013 at 09:06 AM.

DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've bought bars from both Ironcompany and Gtechfitness and have been please with both companies.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Another question I have is about bumper plates. I've never used them, when I do power cleans I always control the weight when I'm lowering it. I plan on switching gyms to one where I can really get into those types of lifts but for home I wanted to get two plates, like two 45s. I was wondering if I could put just those two bumper plates on the bar then use smaller regular plates to add weight? Is that safe? So the bumpers would hit the ground but there would still be standard plates on the bar.
    You can't do that. Bumper plates are designed to take their own weight and some more from the bar. Adding too much weight would break them really quickly. People don't even recommend adding 10 lbs metal plates around them. This is if you're dropping them.

What I mean by soft knurl has no sharp edges so there's less skin irritation and skin maintenance required.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    You can't do that. Bumper plates are designed to take their own weight and some more from the bar. Adding too much weight would break them really quickly. People don't even recommend adding 10 lbs metal plates around them. This is if you're dropping them.

What I mean by soft knurl has no sharp edges so there's less skin irritation and skin maintenance required.
    Thanks, that's good to know about the plates.

I'll update this thread when I finally pick a bar out, thanks for all the advice.
    "Build, therefore, your own world." -- Emerson

RealAdvice is on a distinguished road. (+10) RealAdvice is on a distinguished road. (+10) RealAdvice is on a distinguished road. (+10) RealAdvice is on a distinguished road. (+10) RealAdvice is on a distinguished road. (+10) RealAdvice is on a distinguished road. (+10) RealAdvice is on a distinguished road. (+10) RealAdvice is on a distinguished road. (+10) RealAdvice is on a distinguished road. (+10) RealAdvice is on a distinguished road. (+10) RealAdvice is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks, that's good to know about the plates.

I'll update this thread when I finally pick a bar out, thanks for all the advice.
    I wrote up a review on a barbell I just purchased here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...3365501&page=5