Gruff1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gruff1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gruff1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gruff1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gruff1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gruff1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Keto Diet questions

Trying to figure out if i am in ketosis or not and if my diet is good enough.

breakfast - 2 eggs & 3 slices of bacon

Snack - 20g peanut butter (organic)

lunch - 120g tuna, cup of spinach, 1/2 cup lettuce, 1 celery stick, 1/2 red onion, 90g soft cheese full fat

evening - 250g meat, steamed veg, 20g peanut butter

2 cups of black coffee and water is all i drink

totals

fat - 100g
    carbs - 16g
    protein - 160g

Thanks
    Dont Let people put you off your goal by saying you CANT do it!!

Starting weight - 114.4kg (252lbs) @ 36% BF

Lowest weight - 82.5kg (182lbs) @ 12% BF

Current Weight - 92kg (204lbs) @ 18% BF

DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Looks real good.

If you've just started, eat this way for 5-10 days and you'll be in ketosis. Eat this way for 3-4 weeks and your body will become adept at selecting fat as its fuel source.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=608052853&posted=1#post608052853

BEARS, CUBS, BULLS, HAWKS, SOX, MMA

Gruff1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gruff1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gruff1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gruff1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gruff1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gruff1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DustyChicago View Post
    Looks real good.

If you've just started, eat this way for 5-10 days and you'll be in ketosis. Eat this way for 3-4 weeks and your body will become adept at selecting fat as its fuel source.
    Thanks for your reply. Have you tried keto before? do you tend to lose bodyfat easier this way? Im trying keto as it seems like a good way to lose the fat but preserve the muscle as i lost allot of muscle with the 5 stone i lost upto now

DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been low carb/keto/paleo-ish for 4+ years.

Wumonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wumonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wumonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wumonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wumonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wumonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wumonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wumonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wumonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wumonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wumonger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Get yourself some Ketostix. They're a good way of checking if you're in ketosis or not. If you get knocked out they're a good way of seeing how long it takes you to get back in and how exercise affects your speed of getting back.

Once you get in the swing of things, you'll know from your bodily clues whether you're in ketosis or not. The metallic taste in your mouth and funky breath are my telltale signs.

mikee5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikee5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikee5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikee5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikee5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Gruff1985 View Post
    Trying to figure out if i am in ketosis or not and if my diet is good enough.

breakfast - 2 eggs & 3 slices of bacon

Snack - 20g peanut butter (organic)

lunch - 120g tuna, cup of spinach, 1/2 cup lettuce, 1 celery stick, 1/2 red onion, 90g soft cheese full fat

evening - 250g meat, steamed veg, 20g peanut butter

2 cups of black coffee and water is all i drink

totals

fat - 100g
    carbs - 16g
    protein - 160g

Thanks
    If protein grams are higher than fat or higher than the ideal amount (you're 196 lbs, so consume 180g of protein and 200g fat) gluconeogenesis will occur where protein converts into glucose and starts acting as a carbohydrate in your body which is inefficient and dangerous. You need your body to adapt to fat as fuel.

Add oil and butter when cooking your meat, eat the fat.

Originally Posted by mikee5 View Post
    If protein grams are higher than fat or higher than the ideal amount (you're 196 lbs, so consume 180g of protein and 200g fat) gluconeogenesis will occur where protein converts into glucose and starts acting as a carbohydrate in your body which is inefficient and dangerous. You need your body to adapt to fat as fuel.

No, no no dude. The ketogenic ratio is to achieved by measuring calories not grams. That said, I eat more fat than protein, and I'm fine.

Forever Musclebound aaaaaaaaaachooo's Avatar
    aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mikee5 View Post

Originally Posted by DustyChicago View Post
    No, no no dude. The ketogenic ratio is to achieved by measuring calories not grams. That said, I eat more fat than protein, and I'm fine.
    I think he was just trying to say that OP needs to consume more fat for his stats.
    And I would have to agree in saying OP probably needs to add more fat into the diet.
    Quality of food looks fine, but IMO his macro % looks a little off
    This all depends on activity level & training of course & TDEE (but Keto is meant for active people)
    My $0.02
    505 / 315 / 545

Thanks for the info guys, my problem is that im at 1600 calories at the moment so to add more fat, i can add peanut butter or another piece of bacon at breakfast and more cheese at lunch but that will take my calories up to 2000. Im a medical professional who spends his day in a chair so 9-5 i am not using much calories, but i walk the dogs every evening, do weights every morning bar sunday and do cardio in the form of spin class, squash, rugby, 5-a-side footy each evening. The problem is, at 1600 calories i find i can lose weight, but any more i find i just stay the same size.

So how do i add more fat without going up in calories too much? or is that the point of keto, your high fat intake makes the body stop storing fat and reduces your own body fat levels at the same time?
    Thanks

Thanks for the info guys, my problem is that im at 1600 calories at the moment so to add more fat, i can add peanut butter or another piece of bacon at breakfast and more cheese at lunch but that will take my calories up to 2000. Im a medical professional who spends his day in a chair so 9-5 i am not using much calories, but i walk the dogs every evening, do weights every morning bar sunday and do cardio in the form of spin class, squash, rugby, 5-a-side footy each evening. The problem is, at 1600 calories i find i can lose weight, but any more i find i just stay the same size.

So how do i add more fat without going up in calories too much? or is that the point of keto, your high fat intake makes the body stop storing fat and reduces your own body fat levels at the same time?
    Thanks
    Coconut oil, butter, olive oil

What seems hella low for your activity. I bet if you took out some of that peanut butter and replaced it with the healthier fats above, you could be above 2000 and cut fat. And, if you're a medical professional, you should be able to look up all the extra benefits of coconut oil, (grassfed) butter, and olive oil.

5'8 and proud crew TommyGun1988's Avatar
    Location: london, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1600 calories way to low for any diet. Carry kn eating so little especially with no carbs you are gonna burn out big time.
    April 13 - 135lbs 13 percent bf
    Dec 16 - 188lbs 13 percent bf

Train hard eat well and never lose sight of your dreams.
    Quitters quit

Ive so far lost 5 stone since i started a year ago and i find that at 1600 calories i lose 1lb a week but if i go to 2000 i seem to maintain weight altho i prefer measurements over scales as its more accurate. I have tweaked my diet from peoples advice and trawling the net but i think i have to accept that to get the fat in i need to up my calories so im going to try it and see. This is what i have come up with, what do you think??

Breakfast - 2 boiled eggs, 3 bacon rashers cooked in 10ml cocnut oil, 50g organic peanut butter

Lunch - spinach, celery, lettuce, red onion with 1/2 avocado, 300g soft cheese, 20 ml olive oil

Evening - 14g grass fed kerrygold butter, 60 goats cheese, asparagus, cabbage brocollli and 250 g of meat. (steak and lamb mostly)

This works out at:

2050 calories
    157 fat
    17 carbs
    124 protein

Whats your thought guys?? Cheers

TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ive so far lost 5 stone since i started a year ago and i find that at 1600 calories i lose 1lb a week but if i go to 2000 i seem to maintain weight altho i prefer measurements over scales as its more accurate. I have tweaked my diet from peoples advice and trawling the net but i think i have to accept that to get the fat in i need to up my calories so im going to try it and see. This is what i have come up with, what do you think??

Breakfast - 2 boiled eggs, 3 bacon rashers cooked in 10ml cocnut oil, 50g organic peanut butter

Lunch - spinach, celery, lettuce, red onion with 1/2 avocado, 300g soft cheese, 20 ml olive oil

Evening - 14g grass fed kerrygold butter, 60 goats cheese, asparagus, cabbage brocollli and 250 g of meat. (steak and lamb mostly)

This works out at:

2050 calories
    157 fat
    17 carbs
    124 protein

Whats your thought guys?? Cheers
    It looks ok but imo I wouldnt have a set plan. It will get old quickly eating the same things. I understand you are on a keto doet but vary it up change things about daily add different cuts of meat, different veggies, cook eggs a different way, incorporate carbs into refeed days maybe once a week.

Quitters quit

Originally Posted by TommyGun1988 View Post
    It looks ok but imo I wouldnt have a set plan. It will get old quickly eating the same things. I understand you are on a keto doet but vary it up change things about daily add different cuts of meat, different veggies, cook eggs a different way, incorporate carbs into refeed days maybe once a week.
    I actually find it very easy to eat the same thing over and over, my wife doesnt understand how i dont get bored of it but i like routine! ha.

Do you have to do a carb up day??

calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I actually find it very easy to eat the same thing over and over, my wife doesnt understand how i dont get bored of it but i like routine! ha.

Honestly I'm the exact same way. I can literally eat the EXACT same meals for 1 month+ straight.
    What I've found works best (for me) is to keep my protein intake constant (according to LBM), instead of using the actual keto ratios. Now my carbs are still low, but my ratios are closer to 5/35/60. Basically I just shifted a little bit more into protein, but from fat.

Usually when I'm tweaking, I mess around with my fat intake. As long as you're not going way overboard with the protein you probably shouldn't have much of a problem with GNG.

Originally Posted by calutaxi View Post
    Honestly I'm the exact same way. I can literally eat the EXACT same meals for 1 month+ straight.
    What I've found works best (for me) is to keep my protein intake constant (according to LBM), instead of using the actual keto ratios. Now my carbs are still low, but my ratios are closer to 5/35/60. Basically I just shifted a little bit more into protein, but from fat.

Usually when I'm tweaking, I mess around with my fat intake. As long as you're not going way overboard with the protein you probably shouldn't have much of a problem with GNG.
    Whats GNG?

Have you tried Keto before? Did you get good results? Ive been on it 5 days now and have had no carbs other than from green veg but im still not sure in im ketosis?

No metal taste
    Pee doesnt stink
    No brain Fog

hopefully I am and the BF% will start to drop but i wont know to mon as i measure my waist once a week to see if what im doing is working.

Heres hoping

I personally dont follow keto anymore I toyed with it for abit but im currently bulking so keto would be quite hard. I still stay low carb well I try for 150g per day max. I find I get bloated and get majkr water weight from carbs. Id reccomend a carb up day tho just to replenish energy levels.

Quitters quit

calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whats GNG?

Have you tried Keto before? Did you get good results? Ive been on it 5 days now and have had no carbs other than from green veg but im still not sure in im ketosis?

No metal taste
    Pee doesnt stink
    No brain Fog

hopefully I am and the BF% will start to drop but i wont know to mon as i measure my waist once a week to see if what im doing is working.

Heres hoping
    GNG is gluconeogensis: which is basically if you eat too much protein, you can convert it to glucose.
    I've had fantastic results on keto. I've been at it for 2 years almost (and I've fallen off several times, but that's due to life events and not the diet). I've dropped around 45lbs since I started and haven't lost much strength.

Getting "adapted" can take up to a month. All the "keto flu" symptoms are individual dependent, so can't say much there. Once you're past adaption though it's all good. Honestly I can't tell that I "feel" any different when in keto/eating carbs. I get kinda tired after carbups (which you shouldn't do for a month), but besides that I don't get keto breath or any weird tastes.

Originally Posted by calutaxi View Post
    GNG is gluconeogensis: which is basically if you eat too much protein, you can convert it to glucose.
    I've had fantastic results on keto. I've been at it for 2 years almost (and I've fallen off several times, but that's due to life events and not the diet). I've dropped around 45lbs since I started and haven't lost much strength.

Getting "adapted" can take up to a month. All the "keto flu" symptoms are individual dependent, so can't say much there. Once you're past adaption though it's all good. Honestly I can't tell that I "feel" any different when in keto/eating carbs. I get kinda tired after carbups (which you shouldn't do for a month), but besides that I don't get keto breath or any weird tastes.
    can glucogeonemisis happen only when on keto diet or can it happen if you dieting normally and taking to much protein?

GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Damn man I always feel constantly hungry on Keto lol...