mikeyank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are strict meal intervals important?

We all know by now that in order to gain muscle weight, we must eat small balanced meals 6-7 times a day. I bring to work my lunch bag, but I can not seem to be able to space myself out to eat every 2.5 - 3 hours apart. So, I continuously munch on my lunch stash: salad here, boiled egg there, hour later maybe a trail mix, etc. If I really must, I can limit myself to eat at specific times of the day. But, do I have to? If I continuously eat necessary amount of calories: carbs and proteins, and not just pack my stomach three times a day, does not it offer the same effect?

HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mikeyank View Post
    We all know by now that in order to gain muscle weight, we must eat small balanced meals 6-7 times a day.
    Anyone with any knowledge of nutrition based on recent research knows that this isn't true.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    We all know by now that in order to gain muscle weight, we must eat small balanced meals 6-7 times a day.
    Nobody knows this. Anybody who thinks this is true is wrong.

Location: Lincolnshire, England, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000)
    No I don't believe it is necessary. Technically you could eat your entire days calories in one single meal. It wouldn't be easy, and probs not necessarily the most efficient way to do it. I think the main reason for spacing out the meals is 1) because of how much food we eat, much easier to split it up and 2) it helps prevent snacking. By ensuring you spread out your meals, you shouldn't go long periods of time without food and find your hungry mid morning and knipping to the vending machine for a chocolate bar!

The "scientific" reason is because it keeps your metabolism high...whether you choose to believe that is a different story.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer."

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by TonedJordan View Post
    The "scientific" reason is because it keeps your metabolism high...whether you choose to believe that is a different story.
    It isn't a matter of opinion or debate - there are studies that show this is not the case.

moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Oh yeah??
    Follow me on an enchanting adventure (My Log):

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153543271

evidence based poster Terrimonas's Avatar
    Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    By "scientific" I hope you mean "invented by getting pulled out of thin air bereft of scientific evidence".

moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000) moosedahgoose is a name known to all. (+5000)
    http://www.jissn.com/content/8/1/4

HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Please post said research

TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ok seriously, the inverted commas, and the "whether you choose to believe it" part might be worth you taking note of. Jeez, its like being in teen misc

MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    2) it helps prevent snacking. By ensuring you spread out your meals, you shouldn't go long periods of time without food and find your hungry mid morning and knipping to the vending machine for a chocolate bar!
    You ever heard of IF?

Your body adapts to your eating habits, fast in the day and eat in the evening for long enough and eventually you'll only get hungry in the evenings.

Originally Posted by MrBillson View Post
    You ever heard of IF?

Your body adapts to your eating habits, fast in the day and eat in the evening for long enough and eventually you'll only get hungry in the evenings.
    I guess it works the same going in as coming out. I always tend to hit the loo around the same time!

mikeyank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    dumb ass sarcastic photo goes here
    It sucks when newcomers ask the questions that you knew answers to years ago, right? Deal with it or just skip the thread and move along!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    It sucks when newcomers are too lazy to use the 'search' function to find an answer already posted a million times.
    fixed

No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    fixed

Lol at this.

Also, OP: If you're a new comer why have you ignored all the sticky posts at the top of the forum?

wrhalljr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wrhalljr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wrhalljr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wrhalljr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wrhalljr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wrhalljr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wrhalljr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wrhalljr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wrhalljr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wrhalljr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wrhalljr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by moosedahgoose View Post
    Actually a great link which I have referenced many times...

In reference strictly to metabolism you may be correct as it states: Increased meal frequency does not appear to significantly enhance diet induced thermogenesis, total energy expenditure or resting metabolic rate. (Still not definitive though)

But some key points in the abstract (summary) in this position statement that you and others seem to leave out are:

1. Increasing meal frequency does not appear to favorably change body composition in "sedentary" populations. "sedentary" being the key word..
    2. If protein levels are adequate, increasing meal frequency during periods of hypoenergetic dieting may preserve lean body mass in athletic populations.
    3. Increased meal frequency appears to have a "positive" effect on various blood markers of health, particularly LDL cholesterol, total cholesterol, and insulin.
    4. Increasing meal frequency appears to help decrease hunger and improve appetite control.

And particularly the 1st line of the conclusion: Like many areas of nutritional science, there is "NO" universal consensus regarding the effects of meal frequency on body composition, body weight, markers of health, markers of metabolism, nitrogen retention, or satiety.

So when statements are made like "of course this is not true" and "this is just bro-science" they are not based on any definitive "proof" or statement of "fact"...

Originally Posted by wrhalljr View Post

In reference strictly to metabolism you may be correct as it states: Increased meal frequency does not appear to significantly enhance diet induced thermogenesis, total energy expenditure or resting metabolic rate. (Still not definitive though)

But some key points in the abstract (summary) in this position statement that you and others seem to leave out are:
    Pardon me? Why would I have posted the link if I was leaving things out?

Also, I am here trying to break the inculcation of certain "ideas" perpetuated by supplement companies & and those in this field trying to make a buck, exemplified of course by: "we all know by now that in order to gain muscle weight..." ~OP

Carvinge is just really nice. (+1000) Carvinge is just really nice. (+1000) Carvinge is just really nice. (+1000) Carvinge is just really nice. (+1000) Carvinge is just really nice. (+1000) Carvinge is just really nice. (+1000) Carvinge is just really nice. (+1000) Carvinge is just really nice. (+1000) Carvinge is just really nice. (+1000) Carvinge is just really nice. (+1000) Carvinge is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wow. I did not know I needed to eat every 3 hours! What will I do though? I have a very busy life and can not fit in 6 meals a day every 3 hours.. My gainz... Goodnight sweet prince.

jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by wrhalljr View Post

1. Increasing meal frequency does not appear to favorably change body composition in "sedentary" populations. "sedentary" being the key word..
    2. If protein levels are adequate, increasing meal frequency during periods of hypoenergetic dieting may preserve lean body mass in athletic populations.
    3. Increased meal frequency appears to have a "positive" effect on various blood markers of health, particularly LDL cholesterol, total cholesterol, and insulin.
    4. Increasing meal frequency appears to help decrease hunger and improve appetite control.
    Regarding point 3 - there are studies showing "positive" effects on various blood markers (including cholesterol) with Intermittent fasting.
    Regarding point 4 - IF (and therebye decreased meal frequency) also improves appetite control for a lot of folks.

MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It sucks when newcomers ask the questions that you knew answers to years ago, right? Deal with it or just skip the thread and move along!
    It's one thing when a newcomer asks a question. It's quite another thing when they come in stating "We all know that . . ." and then proceed to spout what is one of the most often corrected misconceptions on here as a great truth.

Oddly enough, people looking to lose weight instead of gain it often have a very similar misconception.

so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Lol, this is at least the 6th thread I've seen in the last month that started with "We all know that x is required to achieve y", I'm beginning to think it's a new form of trolling.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Food for thought: Increased meal frequency is associated with increased hunger.

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by so far away View Post
    Lol, this is at least the 6th thread I've seen in the last month that started with "We all know that x is required to achieve y", I'm beginning to think it's a new form of trolling.
    Tell me about it.

Amout of trolls during the month of May is too damn high!
    Retired 74kg PL Open Division (3 meets)

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Food for thought: Increased meal frequency is associated with increased hunger.
    I can confirm that. I basically graze through the day because I love eating and have too much spare time, so I usually eat >7 'meals' a day. If I go like 2 hours without eating I'm absolutely starving. Even if the last meal was like 700 calories.

rippyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I eat my calories, make sure my macros are in check, and eat whenever I feel like it (even right before bed). As long as I meet my daily nutrition goals I don't worry about meal size or times... Seems to be working well so far. Making all kiiiindzzz of gainz..... Lol

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^ I wanna know your secret being 0'6 and 183lbs with awesome gains.
    Retired 74kg PL Open Division (3 meets)