LowcarbGod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LowcarbGod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LowcarbGod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LowcarbGod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LowcarbGod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LowcarbGod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LowcarbGod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LowcarbGod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LowcarbGod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LowcarbGod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LowcarbGod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Read this article about how ketogenic diets work as anti-depressant medicines

Dear friends, the other day I wrote in this forum that on this ketogenic diet I can concentrate a lot better. Here is an article that says that ketogenic diets has a positive impact on the brain and it can help control many mental disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, epilepsy and many other psychologic disorders. I've noticed that on this high fat diet I feel more relaxed and less hyper-active.

Source: http://eugenia.queru.com/2011/11/22/...tal-disorders/

I was reluctant to write this article, because I’m not a doctor, and I have never tried a ketogenic diet myself (update: I now have), neither I have a mental disorder that I know of. The depression I had accumulated in the past 10 years because of IBS-D ruining my life, is already gone with the plain, less-restrictive Paleo/Primal diet.

As it happens, I kept researching about ketogenic diets as a way to lose more weight. But what I ended up finding instead, is a whole new way of fixing (== making asymptomatic) disorders that until very recently I’d thought to be “unfixable”. I always thought of mental disorders as this whole other thing, medically. It’s not like a broken arm, where you put it in a cast, and it gets fixed in a month or so. Or even like with my own problem, IBS-D, where you remove certain foods, while adding others, to fix this GI issue. Mental disorders are shrouded in this mystique of the unknown, which I always found fascinating, and scary as hell at the same time.

So while researching (some links: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7), I found that the known ketogenic diet for epileptics, actually has magical effects also to autistic/aspergers, bipolar, depressed, anxious, and even schizophrenic people (report). Other positive benefits of a very low-carb, high-fat diet was found during the treatment of Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, Lou Gehrig’s disease, and even brain cancer patients! Unfortunately, no research was ever done for adults to study the alleviating of these illnesses’ symptoms with a keto diet (Update: there’s such research for bipolar now, read the updates at the bottom of the article). The epileptic keto diet is mostly tested on children, who are not allowed to eat more than 10 grams of carbs daily. A number of children who have followed the diet, generally saw a reducing of the number of seizures within a few weeks, and in some cases, they got a complete loss of seizures within a few months. There are also a lot of autistic kids who got their ability to connect with others, and even speak, or go to normal school, just by following the similar to Paleo & Keto diets: the GAPS and SCD diets. A bipolar woman got so much better that she even managed to stop her medication within 6 months time of following a strict ketogenic diet (with the agreement of her doctor, one of the few doctors who suggests diet as a prescription). There are these who claim that most mental disorders are nothing but inflammation. A completely “physical” problem, that is.

Recommended books to increase the emotional, spiritual, psychologic feelings of power, the will to power: The Republic by Plato, The Will to Power by Nietzsche, Hegemony or Survival by Noam Chomsky, Faust by Goethe, Spectre of Marx by Jacques Derrida, Red and Black by Stendhal, The Wisdom of Life by Arthur Schopenhauer, Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche, Power by Michael Foucault, Beyond Good and Evil by Fredrich Nietzsche, The Search after Truth by Malebranche

Missimia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Missimia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Missimia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Missimia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Missimia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Missimia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Missimia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Missimia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Missimia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Missimia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Missimia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've read a lot of pretty cool medical stories, esp regarding the GAPS diet. But I am not touching this with a ten foot pole, lol. I don't know enough about mental illness to speculate and I am not going to suggest, even indirectly, on a public forum that people who face the relentless challenges of a disorder like schizophrenia or autism just need to change their diet and abra cadabra! They're neurotypical. Heck, I don't even know enough to really judge whether the research is sufficient for the conclusions reached.

I may like this diet, but I dont believe it is the only healthy way to eat and I certainly don't think it has any magical properties.
    1 Corinthians 6:20
    人定胜天

PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I find not eating carbs depressing as hell
    FKK - Elastic waisted jeans are fashionable too.

If you feel bench presses most in your spotter's biceps, you're doing it wrong

"Don't take diet advice from hippies" - Martin Berkhan

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LowcarbGod View Post
    Here is an article that says that ketogenic diets has a positive impact on the brain and it can help control many mental disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, epilepsy and many other psychologic disorders. I've noticed that on this high fat diet I feel more relaxed and less hyper-active.
    I haven't read this article yet, so I don't know if it's mentioned, but there is some anecdotal evidence that epilepsy, bipolar disorder and migraines are closely related, originating deep in the brain. Just some more "food for thought".
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calutaxi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    I haven't read this article yet, so I don't know if it's mentioned, but there is some anecdotal evidence that epilepsy, bipolar disorder and migraines are closely related, originating deep in the brain. Just some more "food for thought".
    That's pretty interesting! In that FatHead movie, the dude talks about a link between "low fat" diets and depression. He talks about how important dietary fat is for mental health. It's not scientific, but it's something I'd heard before.

As for anecdotal experience:
    I've had some pretty bad bouts of depression (I'm not taking any meds for it or anything) since my brother died. If anything keto really DOES improve my mood and motivation. Can't comment on the rest.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I hope it's all true because I am bipolar 2 hypomanic/depressive. I am on Wellbutrin 240 mg, Lamictal 200 mg and ****** 5 mg. I want very much to get off these. I know I will have to taper, so I don't get the brain zaps. I won't say I'm addicted to them, because they are not addictive, except for the ****** which I take only when absolutely necessary, but my fear that keeps me on them is going back to the really bad prolonged mood swings and rages I had before. I could go into a nosedive that would last 2-3 days.

Most importantly, I'm very sorry about the loss of your brother. I can only imagine what it's like, to have sent you into a depression over his loss. But he's not gone, he's still with you, you just can't see him.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).