mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Smile ED Recovery and weight gain, any advice welcome!

Hi everyone, new to the board here. I am in recovery from an eating disorder and looking to gain some weight. I have 5'8 and currently weigh about 120lbs. I carry most of my weight around my stomach and thighs but have skinny arms and waist. I want to gain weight the right way so I have been eating clean and lifting weights. My calorie intake is anywhere between 1600-2000 calories. Which is what I am most concerned about, this is the range for my height and activity level, however my metabolism is pretty out of whack from the eating disorder. So I'm not certain about my calorie intake. I am wanting to gain about 10 lbs...I currently only do light cardio 3-4 times a week and am weight lifting 5 times a week..should I be eating more calories? My macros are about 40%/40%/20%. I welcome any advice as well as stories of those who have gone through something similar! Thanks!!

mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Are you currently under the care of professionals?
    I'm only human...except in the gym.

mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariannej5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes I am, and I guess I will clear things up a little bit..I have been "in recovery" for about 8 months now. After hitting my lowest weight at 100lbs, they basically force feed you until you gain weight. I've been trying on my own to gain weight for the past 2 months.

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by mariannej5 View Post
    Yes I am, and I guess I will clear things up a little bit..I have been "in recovery" for about 8 months now. After hitting my lowest weight at 100lbs, they basically force feed you until you gain weight. I've been trying on my own to gain weight for the past 2 months.
    I'm not an ED professional so I may be off in my advice but for your height and weight 1600 calories is eating at a deficit. 2000 is probably close to your maintanence. You won't gain much muscle eating at those calories.
    I'd eat at 2000 calories every day for a month or more until your metabolism catches up then if you want to increase cals to gain muscle add 100 a day for a few weeks then reasses.

Originally Posted by Cara0915 View Post
    I'm not an ED professional so I may be off in my advice but for your height and weight 1600 calories is eating at a deficit. 2000 is probably close to your maintanence. You won't gain much muscle eating at those calories.
    I'd eat at 2000 calories every day for a month or more until your metabolism catches up then if you want to increase cals to gain muscle add 100 a day for a few weeks then reasses.
    Thank you, I wasn't sure, I've calculated by bmr in many different formulas but you get so many different numbers from everywhere so it's hard to know. Thanks for your advice!

BEEvon is just really nice. (+1000) BEEvon is just really nice. (+1000) BEEvon is just really nice. (+1000) BEEvon is just really nice. (+1000) BEEvon is just really nice. (+1000) BEEvon is just really nice. (+1000) BEEvon is just really nice. (+1000) BEEvon is just really nice. (+1000) BEEvon is just really nice. (+1000) BEEvon is just really nice. (+1000) BEEvon is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi everyone, new to the board here. I am in recovery from an eating disorder and looking to gain some weight. I have 5'8 and currently weigh about 120lbs. I carry most of my weight around my stomach and thighs but have skinny arms and waist. I want to gain weight the right way so I have been eating clean and lifting weights. My calorie intake is anywhere between 1600-2000 calories. Which is what I am most concerned about, this is the range for my height and activity level, however my metabolism is pretty out of whack from the eating disorder. So I'm not certain about my calorie intake. I am wanting to gain about 10 lbs...I currently only do light cardio 3-4 times a week and am weight lifting 5 times a week..should I be eating more calories? My macros are about 40%/40%/20%. I welcome any advice as well as stories of those who have gone through something similar! Thanks!!
    Hi there! Sounds like your pretty early in your recovery process OP.
    Focusing too much on exercise, calories, macros, weight gain/ loss, body fat, can be a slippery slope even for those of us who don't struggle with EDs. 5 weight training days on top 3-4 cardio sessions is a lot for someone trying to gain and not necessary for building muscle. I might suggest you just take some time to enjoy life, food, activities that are fun, and just being well. don't worry about WHERE your gaining it for now. Just gain and be ok with it. Best of luck!
    AFAA- CPT

"Make up your mind that, at least for the first year or two, you're not going to worry about body fat levels if you're already lean, because lean is easier to reacquire than strong is to build" (Rippetoe 310).

ASKHOLE: A person who constantly asks for advise, yet always does the opposite of what you told them.

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BEEvon View Post
    Hi there! Sounds like your pretty early in your recovery process OP.
    Focusing too much on exercise, calories, macros, weight gain/ loss, body fat, can be a slippery slope even for those of us who don't struggle with EDs. 5 weight training days on top 3-4 cardio sessions is a lot for someone trying to gain and not necessary for building muscle. I might suggest you just take some time to enjoy life, food, activities that are fun, and just being well. don't worry about WHERE your gaining it for now. Just gain and be ok with it. Best of luck!
    So much THIS.

Get right with you first.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thank you, I wasn't sure, I've calculated by bmr in many different formulas but you get so many different numbers from everywhere so it's hard to know. Thanks for your advice!
    Your exercise, "cardio 3-4 times a week and am weight lifting 5 times a week" is excessive, even if it's not intense. You need to get out of the mindset of "I have to go to the gym every day or I'm slacking". Regardless, obviously you need to gain weight. What calorie intake that requires will take some trial and error. You should probably eat to gain around 1/2 lb every week or two. If you aren't, you simply keep adding calories until you are.

I'm concerned when I see people who are at the gym 5-6 (or 7) days per week. It's too much and not necessary.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    Your exercise, "cardio 3-4 times a week and am weight lifting 5 times a week" is excessive, even if it's not intense. You need to get out of the mindset of "I have to go to the gym every day or I'm slacking". Regardless, obviously you need to gain weight. What calorie intake that requires will take some trial and error. You should probably eat to gain around 1/2 lb every week or two. If you aren't, you simply keep adding calories until you are.

I'm concerned when I see people who are at the gym 5-6 (or 7) days per week. It's too much and not necessary.
    Thanks for your reply, I should clarify my 3-4 times of cardio is walking at a moderate pace for 20 mins, to and from work. I am in the gym weight lifting 5 days for no more than an hour. I do not work out because I feel I have to, nor do I hate on myself when I miss a workout. I am no longer in a place where I "need to get right". I love the changes I see in my body from weightlifting and it has restored a lot of self confidence for me.

My inquiry was simply about the calories I am eating.. all the formulas I've used to calculate have given me 1800 calories to gain. So I will re-phrase my question.

By how much should I increase my daily calories in order to gain weight at a good pace?

b7w4h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey OP I can relate with you, so I thought I might give a little input.

For one, are you eating back the calories that you're working off? You need to make sure that you're not only consuming a healthy amount, but that you're netting in a healthy amount, otherwise you're basically undereating/restricting again, especially in regards to how much exercise you're doing.

Also, you never really said what's going on with your weight right now (or perhaps I overlooked it) are you maintaining or simply not gaining as quickly as you'd like? You said you eat 1600-2000 as it is, so maybe try to aim for no less than 1800 (2000 is probably preferable) for a few weeks and see what happens, then adjust accordingly. Just remember to focus on your net, not merely your intake, especially if you're trying to gain weight. Like was said above, I think 1/2 a pound every week or two would be a good pace, you don't want to gain it too fast.

Good luck

Originally Posted by b7w4h View Post
    Hey OP I can relate with you, so I thought I might give a little input.

For one, are you eating back the calories that you're working off? You need to make sure that you're not only consuming a healthy amount, but that you're netting in a healthy amount, otherwise you're basically undereating/restricting again, especially in regards to how much exercise you're doing.

Also, you never really said what's going on with your weight right now (or perhaps I overlooked it) are you maintaining or simply not gaining as quickly as you'd like? You said you eat 1600-2000 as it is, so maybe try to aim for no less than 1800 (2000 is probably preferable) for a few weeks and see what happens, then adjust accordingly. Just remember to focus on your net, not merely your intake, especially if you're trying to gain weight. Like was said above, I think 1/2 a pound every week or two would be a good pace, you don't want to gain it too fast.

Good luck
    Thank you! This helps. I've been maintaining my weight mostly, I gained about a lb the first two weeks but nothing since. I don't know how many calories during exercise but I usually eat 2000 on days when I workout and 1600 on days when I am totally sedentary.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thank you! This helps. I've been maintaining my weight mostly, I gained about a lb the first two weeks but nothing since. I don't know how many calories during exercise but I usually eat 2000 on days when I workout and 1600 on days when I am totally sedentary.
    That first week was likely glycogen and water filling in your muscles.

Don't worry about exercise calories burned. Just eat enough to where you are steadily gaining up to about a half pound a week. This means you need to weigh/measure yourself at least once a week and keep track of all your foods to be able to evaluate progress and how much you need to eat to maintain or gain.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

MaysieM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I nearly died from anorexia and have fully recovered! But it took me like 4 years to get my mind in a healthy state, so I could embark on this journey to transform my body. What starts as a healthy habit for some will turn into an addiction for others. I think you should really actually take some time to chill out and get used to your new body and the changes before you start trying to change it again! x
    hashtaghamstrings.wordpress.com

I'll keep ya posted on all the tears, sweat, tears and...more tears I go through whilst whooping my butt into gear.

Originally Posted by megdaig View Post
    That first week was likely glycogen and water filling in your muscles.

Don't worry about exercise calories burned. Just eat enough to where you are steadily gaining up to about a half pound a week. This means you need to weigh/measure yourself at least once a week and keep track of all your foods to be able to evaluate progress and how much you need to eat to maintain or gain.
    Thanks for your reply..just another question, if I track my calories for a week and say it comes out to about 14'000 and by the end of that week I have gained like .2 of a lb, should I increase my daily calories by say 200? Sorry if that is a silly question but this concept of eating to gain weight is new to me.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for your reply..just another question, if I track my calories for a week and say it comes out to about 14'000 and by the end of that week I have gained like .2 of a lb, should I increase my daily calories by say 200? Sorry if that is a silly question but this concept of eating to gain weight is new to me.
    Of stay there for another week and of the scale goes up another 0.2 (or whatever) the next then it's safe to say that you are in a slight surplus. On the flip side, if you stay the same or even lose the next week I'd bump the calories up a bit more. Some times it's tough to figure out what is water and what is true weight gain since we are looking for small changes; so evaluate your progress after a whole month. If you aren't up at least a pound then you aren't eating enough.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for your reply, I should clarify my 3-4 times of cardio is walking at a moderate pace for 20 mins, to and from work. I am in the gym weight lifting 5 days for no more than an hour. I do not work out because I feel I have to, nor do I hate on myself when I miss a workout. I am no longer in a place where I "need to get right". I love the changes I see in my body from weightlifting and it has restored a lot of self confidence for me.

My inquiry was simply about the calories I am eating.. all the formulas I've used to calculate have given me 1800 calories to gain. So I will re-phrase my question.

By how much should I increase my daily calories in order to gain weight at a good pace?
    Just add 100 per day and give it a week. If you don't gain, add 100 more.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

@ oregonchick
    @ megdaig

Awesome, thanks so much ladies! Really helpful

immoving has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    girl I'm in the same situation, hit my lowest point at about 80lbs. and now am above 100lbs, started working out, and am under the care of pros.
    I think my metabolism is speeding up, so I don't know where yours is, but I need over 3000kcals a day to maintain the weight gain.. it sounds scary, but when I ate less I would loose weight during my weekly weigh-ins.. I've read a lot about how you need much more food when in recovery, especially if you've been starving yourself for a long period of time (which is definately my case- over a year of starving!)
    I wish you all the luck! stay strong

Originally Posted by immoving View Post
    girl I'm in the same situation, hit my lowest point at about 80lbs. and now am above 100lbs, started working out, and am under the care of pros.
    I think my metabolism is speeding up, so I don't know where yours is, but I need over 3000kcals a day to maintain the weight gain.. it sounds scary, but when I ate less I would loose weight during my weekly weigh-ins.. I've read a lot about how you need much more food when in recovery, especially if you've been starving yourself for a long period of time (which is definately my case- over a year of starving!)
    I wish you all the luck! stay strong
    Hey! Sounds like we are on the right path. The metabolism thing is what really messed up for me. It took me so long to figure out how much I should be eating, and I still even struggle with it. I've been a healthy eater all my life, so I don't want to gain the weight back by a dirty bulk. I literally feel like I am eating all day long to get to 2000 cal, but obviously I need to be eating more since I am hardly maintaining. Good luck to you too girlie! All about staying positive and looking forward

thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    #1. Eat more dietary fat. It will make it easier to hit higher calorie counts and your body needs fats to repair the damage from starvation. IE cellular integrity and hormones. Also, most vitamins and minerals are fat soluble. Low body weight + low calorie intake + low fat diet = limited absorption. Would suggest a bit less protein and a bit more fat.

#2. Eat more calories, as stated. Honestly, you should really work up to 2500 as a minimum for gaining. That way, you can maintain your weight at a more normal level. I know in my own experience - the more I ate while gaining, the better chance of return to a normal metabolic rate. Its like a furnace. The more fuel you give it, the bigger the fire - and a bigger fire is more efficient at doing its job, but requires more energy to maintain.

#3. Don't put all your trust in calculators. They do not factor in your body's needs as someone recovering from starvation. Those same calculators tell me I need about 1800/day to maintain. I lose weight eating 2200 cals. I think its best for you to work on upwards and see what works for YOUR body and not just abide by "Well the calculator says..." because those are impersonal averages based on one single equation.
    I have a vagina so its not my fault I'm a pussy.

There's always room for one more blade, there's always strength for one last breath.

scruffylizard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scruffylizard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scruffylizard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scruffylizard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scruffylizard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scruffylizard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scruffylizard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scruffylizard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scruffylizard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scruffylizard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scruffylizard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by thecityignites View Post
    #3. Don't put all your trust in calculators. They do not factor in your body's needs as someone recovering from starvation. Those same calculators tell me I need about 1800/day to maintain. I lose weight eating 2200 cals. I think its best for you to work on upwards and see what works for YOUR body and not just abide by "Well the calculator says..." because those are impersonal averages based on one single equation.
    Totally, totally this. Oh my lord, you are doing waaaay too much calculating using calculators that are way oversimplified--particularly that BMR calculator. I would go absolutely crazy if I sat around trying to approach the question of body composition in the manner you describe. I know you feel kind of lost/full of questions about what you SHOULD do right now, but let me give you an alternative to think about here--there is nothing you absolutely SHOULD do right now. There are no shoulds. You need to do what's going to keep you emotionally stable and not regressing towards ED thinking--and you know incessant calculation is part of that kind of thinking. At the end of the day, if you follow moderate guidelines and devote yourself to the effort of LIFTING--not obsessing over nutrition--I believe you'll ultimately be happier and able to fully achieve recovery. If necessary, read nutrition advice aimed at men who are strength athletes. The rhetoric and recommendations there tend to be far less charged with crappy messages than those targeted at women even from sources that a specifically addressing women who lift.
    Lifts as a light 148 (April 2016): 336 squat in sleeves, 214 bench, 479 dead.
    Lifts at 123(August 2015): 303 squat, 192 bench, 454 deadlift
    IDK I like lifting.