wcsoccerfan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need to add intensity to Starting Strength Program

Hello all,

I've been doing Starting Strength pretty consistently for the past 2.5 months. My 5 rep max for bench has improved by about 20 lbs, 35 lbs for squat, and 15 lbs for overhead press. I've been pretty happy with it so far, but I've got a bit of a problem. My workout parter is significantly stronger than myself (90+ lbs on bench, 50+ lbs on squat) and recovery times for him vs. myself are quite different. I need 2-3 minutes in between sets at my level of lifting, where he needs closer to 5. Unfortunately, between racking/unracking weight, his 5 minute rest period, etc, I'm only doing sets every 5-6 minutes, and the total workout is about 75 minutes, which is longer than I think it should be.

I don't really want to hinder his progress for the benefit of my own, so I was wondering about mixing in isolation exercises inbetween sets (unless he needs me to spot him, of course). Examples would be calf raises, reverse flies, abs, or forearm curls inbetween deadlifts/bench/press. Something simple that would not interfere with the heavy lifts, but keep me moving and keep my heartrate a little higher. Getting abs done inbetween sets would also shorten my workouts by 5-10 minutes, which is a plus.

Thoughts? Would I be hurting myself? I know rule #1 of SS is to not screw with the program, but having these long breaks inbetween sets is already screwing with it... I'm open for all suggestions.

Thanks

Franglais will become famous soon enough. (+50) Franglais will become famous soon enough. (+50) Franglais will become famous soon enough. (+50) Franglais will become famous soon enough. (+50) Franglais will become famous soon enough. (+50) Franglais will become famous soon enough. (+50) Franglais will become famous soon enough. (+50) Franglais will become famous soon enough. (+50) Franglais will become famous soon enough. (+50) Franglais will become famous soon enough. (+50) Franglais will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Long breaks don't matter whatsoever
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    Long breaks don't matter whatsoever
    what he said. i dont recall seeing any prescribed rest periods for SS other than perhaps something like "as long as needed"
    The floundering has ended.

wcsoccerfan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Determinednoob View Post
    what he said. i dont recall seeing any prescribed rest periods for SS other than perhaps something like "as long as needed"
    Hmm. It's probably something I encountered reading online about the different 3x5 and 5x5 programs that actually isn't in the book. I guess I won't worry about it too much then.

95theses is not very helpful. (-500) 95theses is not very helpful. (-500) 95theses is not very helpful. (-500) 95theses is not very helpful. (-500) 95theses is not very helpful. (-500) 95theses is not very helpful. (-500) 95theses is not very helpful. (-500) 95theses is not very helpful. (-500) 95theses is not very helpful. (-500) 95theses is not very helpful. (-500) 95theses is not very helpful. (-500)
    For some ADD folks SS may seem boring and lack "intensity" however, you continue with the program and as you progress in the weights that you lift you will less and less be asking for more intesity. Believe me.
    3000 calories/day

superreise2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superreise2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superreise2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superreise2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superreise2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superreise2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superreise2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superreise2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superreise2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superreise2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superreise2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    SS in my opinion is the best program for Anyone who's new to training. The rest periods aren't really problem, you should stick to the routine the way it is. You don't need to worry about adding isolation movements and stuff.