Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    for those experiencing strength loss or fast atrophy with nerves being impinged...wondering if most of you guys have experienced salvaging muscle mass more via more volume vs low rep/heavier weight, and/or once a week vs twice or three times a week hitting each muscle.
    I honestly don't even think about it. Building or preserving muscle is of little concern to me now. I try to get my protein in (around 1lb per bodyweight) from a nutrition standpoint but everything else is like whatever. My typical gym day involves walking 2-4 miles, stretching, and using the elliptical. I only lift when I really feel like lifting for whatever reason. Maybe 1-2x's a week max.

Did you have a herniated disc? If so please share your story. If not, you should know tho that for many of us who did have this injury our complete outlook on lifting changes. Lifting is no longer important (at least to me) and healing yourself to full health is what matters. It makes you realize how little lifting really means. I'm getting the same satisfaction of "being in the gym" without even lifting. I honestly look better too now that it's forcing me to really cut which I always have put off in the past. Foreverbulker lol

Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NorCalMike View Post
    I honestly don't even think about it. Building or preserving muscle is of little concern to me now. I try to get my protein in (around 1lb per bodyweight) from a nutrition standpoint but everything else is like whatever. My typical gym day involves walking 2-4 miles, stretching, and using the elliptical. I only lift when I really feel like lifting for whatever reason. Maybe 1-2x's a week max.

Did you have a herniated disc? If so please share your story. If not, you should know tho that for many of us who did have this injury our complete outlook on lifting changes. Lifting is no longer important (at least to me) and healing yourself to full health is what matters. It makes you realize how little lifting really means. I'm getting the same satisfaction of "being in the gym" without even lifting. I honestly look better too now that it's forcing me to really cut which I always have put off in the past. Foreverbulker lol
    I was diagnosed w bulging discs c6-t1 back in 08. I had stopped lifting heavy in favor of investing more time in mma training, and i just couldn't hack being sore throughout the whole week doing both, so i cut back on lifting heavy to only 2 days a week. Regardless, my right arm was always weaker than my left, didnt make much of it til my arm and pec got smaller and weaker...along w feeling a jolt of shock from my lower back up my back down both arms if i experienced some high impact situations...ie shooting a jumpshot or even doing bear crawls. My right pinky/ring finger/blade of hand have been numb since 08. I noticed my right cross and straight getting weaker and weaker, as well as my grip getting weaker. Sucks...as i always took pride on being strong. My first set of squats (after warmup) was 275 for 12...down the road even 225 for 10 was a monster struggle. Bench was always tough, even in my prime...only got up to 285lbs w the bad arm, but now 155 is a chore. Either way, i'm trying to salvage as much mass/strength as possible, and hoping to gain even if it's 1% a year. Not sure if anyone cares, but i've been a trainer for over a decade and i have no problems swallowing pride by getting feedback here.
    One rep, one set, one meal...one day at a time. You build a fortress brick by brick.

VR-4 Crew

roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hurt lower back quite a few times, doc said it's L5-S1 but I probably haven't herniated and go to a chiro which I did (didn't help). Didn't go to doc the last time it happened, but I still feel a slight jab in the lower back and whatnot when I stop doing any ab work. I also can't squat without feeling iffy in my back. My spine also cracks (like knuckles) when I go down for a deadlift or squat ever since the last time as well. Still, having no pain is great.
    I agree with the guy saying hamstring flexibility is a possible reason. I have absolutely NO flexibility. I've been doing stretches, yoga, etc for almost a year now and still can't touch my toes while standing. Still, stretching GREATLY reduced my injuries and iffy back feeling while lifting.
    Good luck to all.
    Glutes same size as chest crew

NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I was diagnosed w bulging discs c6-t1 back in 08. I had stopped lifting heavy in favor of investing more time in mma training, and i just couldn't hack being sore throughout the whole week doing both, so i cut back on lifting heavy to only 2 days a week. Regardless, my right arm was always weaker than my left, didnt make much of it til my arm and pec got smaller and weaker...along w feeling a jolt of shock from my lower back up my back down both arms if i experienced some high impact situations...ie shooting a jumpshot or even doing bear crawls. My right pinky/ring finger/blade of hand have been numb since 08. I noticed my right cross and straight getting weaker and weaker, as well as my grip getting weaker. Sucks...as i always took pride on being strong. My first set of squats (after warmup) was 275 for 12...down the road even 225 for 10 was a monster struggle. Bench was always tough, even in my prime...only got up to 285lbs w the bad arm, but now 155 is a chore. Either way, i'm trying to salvage as much mass/strength as possible, and hoping to gain even if it's 1% a year. Not sure if anyone cares, but i've been a trainer for over a decade and i have no problems swallowing pride by getting feedback here.
    How often are you lifting nowadays? Only 2 days a week? A lot of the loss of strength you talk about is likely cause you're not in the gym as much so naturally losing some strength. I'm experiencing that too. Used to dumbell shoulder press 100's for reps a couple months back, but since I'm not lifting much (all body-parts) 90's are a struggle. 100lb incline dumbells would be a nice easy "warm-up" but now it's my main lift! This part is natural. If you got back in the gym more, you'll probably get some of that strength back quick.

I'm curious to know if you're fully recovered from the disc bulge in 08?

Originally Posted by roushrsh View Post
    Hurt lower back quite a few times, doc said it's L5-S1 but I probably haven't herniated and go to a chiro which I did (didn't help). Didn't go to doc the last time it happened, but I still feel a slight jab in the lower back and whatnot when I stop doing any ab work. I also can't squat without feeling iffy in my back. My spine also cracks (like knuckles) when I go down for a deadlift or squat ever since the last time as well. Still, having no pain is great.
    I agree with the guy saying hamstring flexibility is a possible reason. I have absolutely NO flexibility. I've been doing stretches, yoga, etc for almost a year now and still can't touch my toes while standing. Still, stretching GREATLY reduced my injuries and iffy back feeling while lifting.
    Good luck to all.
    Hopefully you quit doing squats and deads altogether. I can't touch my toes standing either, but you can still be plenty flexible without I think. A few weeks ago I couldn't lay flat on my back and elevate one straight foot to a 90 degree angle. That is terrible flexibility! Now I can both with no problem. As long as you feel like you're making improvement don't worry about not being able to touch your toes standing straight.
    Last edited by NorCalMike; 06-21-2013 at 01:10 AM.

Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    How often are you lifting nowadays? Only 2 days a week? A lot of the loss of strength you talk about is likely cause you're not in the gym as much so naturally losing some strength. I'm experiencing that too. Used to dumbell shoulder press 100's for reps a couple months back, but since I'm not lifting much (all body-parts) 90's are a struggle. 100lb incline dumbells would be a nice easy "warm-up" but now it's my main lift! This part is natural. If you got back in the gym more, you'll probably get some of that strength back quick.

Hopefully you quit doing squats and deads altogether. I can't touch my toes standing either, but you can still be plenty flexible without I think. A few weeks ago I couldn't lay flat on my back and elevate one straight foot to a 90 degree angle. That is terrible flexibility! Now I can both with no problem. As long as you feel like you're making improvement don't worry about not being able to touch your toes standing straight.
    hitting total body twice a week in general, sometimes once a week...i've done the 5 days a week before and the progress was just super slow. however, im just looking for some input to regroup and try another attack. I'd do anything to bench 2 plates and pull 3 plates again, but im not holding my breath.
    One rep, one set, one meal...one day at a time. You build a fortress brick by brick.

VR-4 Crew

hitting total body twice a week in general, sometimes once a week...i've done the 5 days a week before and the progress was just super slow. however, im just looking for some input to regroup and try another attack. I'd do anything to bench 2 plates and pull 3 plates again, but im not holding my breath.
    The disc bulge from 08 man.. I wanna hear if you're fully recovered. Or any lingering issues.

Mix up your routine. Bench is weak devote a day to just do chest. That way you can hit it fresh. Full body routines aren't ideal if you're trying to build strength. I see them better for maintaining. You only have so much energy for in one workout... spread things out and/or focus solely on your weak points.

roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) roushrsh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

\

I don't think I'll quit, I'll just be more careful, when I stop I start feeling that iffy back feeling as well as the fact that I enjoy powerlifting, so I'll probably have to keep my lower back strong for the rest of my life. Bad backs run in my family so it's more of a precaution than anything.
    Someone asked somewhere in this thread about foam rolling and I just want to mention that foam rolling really is what helped speed up my recovery the past few times, wouldn't be surprised if I still had trouble walking without it. That and Sciatica stretches. I remember having that shock going down my left leg whenever I moved, hope it never happens again *shivers at the thought*.
    Glutes same size as chest crew

The disc bulge from 08 man.. I wanna hear if you're fully recovered. Or any lingering issues.

Mix up your routine. Bench is weak devote a day to just do chest. That way you can hit it fresh. Full body routines aren't ideal if you're trying to build strength. I see them better for maintaining. You only have so much energy for in one workout... spread things out and/or focus solely on your weak points.
    I pretty much do 15-20sets a workout. One reason I limited myself to two workouts a week is recovery time:

-Incline/flat bench switching between bar and db's
    -Close grip bench
    -Barbell row
    -Laterals and Front raises w a plate
    -Very light deadlifts
    -Light shrugs
    -Lunges

those make up a good chunk of most workouts. I mix it up, but the mainstays in most workouts are bench/row/deads...and by light deadlifts I mean most of the time i keep it around 100lbs.

What's discouraging in the past few years, is the affected muscles burn out so fast...they just flat out don't have any muscular endurance. My pushups have gotten better though...but if i don't do them for awhile, i'll backslide on those big time.

Fully recovered? absolutely not. probably slightly worse...but i experience more strength loss/atrophy, the numbness in my right hand is still there, but I don't have earth shattering pain like some guys do. I've been hit a couple times at work over the years (i bounce at a bar on the weekends)- back in '10 one time I cleaned up a situation and waiting for my guys to help out, and as I was holding down a couple guys, I took a knee to the face as I was looking down from a guy i didnt see. That was the worse I ever felt...i felt both elbows and legs flash weak for a few seconds and my whole body felt weak for a little while. I had stopped training the standup portion of mma for a little while cause i didnt want to take headshots. That was the first time I was convinced I was gonna try to get ACDF done, but i soon forgot about that one.

I've lost weight in the past year, due to a stressful gf (not together anymore), slightly less workouts and smaller budget...I went from 203 at the beginning of 2012, and weighed in at 177 fully clothed couple days ago. I am not happy. However, the only saving grace for me is to see how i feel at this lower weight in regards to my discs. Do you guys think it's more advantageous to be lighter or to be as thick as possible to keep everything as structurally rigid as possible? I haven't been under 183 in over 5yrs.

I'd like to add after my novel, that i get utterly depressed after my workouts...sometimes i just end up drinking a lot later on in that night. i just loved lifting heavy weights, and that got taken...had to stop training jiu jitsu...it just gets overwhelmingly discouraging post workout.
    Last edited by Maximum; 06-21-2013 at 12:20 PM.

VR-4 Crew

Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Son of a bitch, this medication is taking forever to leave my system or my back problems are getting worse.

I have random pain from my upper back (shoulder blade area) down to my glutes. Muscle pain, spasms, spine pain, you name it. For the past 2 days I've had this stabbing pain in my glute area that comes and goes. It lasts only a few seconds but its almost enough to make me fall down lol.

The last time I took doxycycline was Thursday morning so it's been 48 hours. I'm gonna have to call my GP, this is getting worse every workout

I'm so tired of going to the doctors lol. My GP must think I'm a hypochondriac by now.
    Last edited by Woolyyyy; 06-22-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Woolyyyy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Doctor wants me in ASAP, so I'm going at some point tomorrow. He said it could be a pinched nerve or a slight herniated disc (no leg pain).

I didn't even hurt myself this time, it just came out of nowhere

jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have a herniation at L4-L5 that is 6mm. the doctors said 1) surgery 2)numbing shot or 3) physical therapy. i took option 3 but it wasnt much help.

I got my injury from poor squat form, i leaned forward on a heavy set.

after about half a year of not knowing what to do since I had constant sciatica and could not lift anything I decided to do whatever it took to get back in the gym.

I invested in a high density foam roller and started spending time every day rolling my upper back, lower back, glutes, IT bands, quads, and hamstrings. I then slowly was able to incorporate lifting back into my life.

Currently I am lifting more than before my injury and I dont plan on slowing down. The pain is gone for the most part and I would say I am at roughly 95%.

I foam roll before and after each training session and from what Ive heard alot of back issues start because of tight glutes and hamstrings.

Originally Posted by jedi-niz View Post
    I have a herniation at L4-L5 that is 6mm. the doctors said 1) surgery 2)numbing shot or 3) physical therapy. i took option 3 but it wasnt much help.

I got my injury from poor squat form, i leaned forward on a heavy set.

after about half a year of not knowing what to do since I had constant sciatica and could not lift anything I decided to do whatever it took to get back in the gym.

I invested in a high density foam roller and started spending time every day rolling my upper back, lower back, glutes, IT bands, quads, and hamstrings. I then slowly was able to incorporate lifting back into my life.

Currently I am lifting more than before my injury and I dont plan on slowing down. The pain is gone for the most part and I would say I am at roughly 95%.

I foam roll before and after each training session and from what Ive heard alot of back issues start because of tight glutes and hamstrings.
    Thanks a ton for sharing your story. Congrats on being mostly recovered and that 95% is likely to get close to 100% in time I'd expect .

But let me ask you, when do you typically have pain/discomfort now? And any other exercises or cardio you'd recommend in the gym?

For me personally, driving and sitting for long periods of time tend to aggravate the sciatica. Just driving in general really. And when I take days off from the gym and am inactive. I walk a lot in the gym and use the elliptical, these seem to help.

Appreciate the input and will rep on rc.

my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    99% sure herniated disc here.

i never got an xray for it, but both my primary and physical therapist think that i have a herniated disc based on my symptoms and what they have experienced/seen.

thankfully, i can tell mine isnt that bad. i used to have bad sciatica down my left leg a while back, but thats healed up with pt work. it still flares up once in a while though. im able to do like 90% of the things i was always used to doing. the thing that hurts the most is having my feet together and trying to bend over and touch my toes without bending my knees. i can bend down with my knees bent pretty fine, no problems with that.

i believe it was either my squat or dl form that caused it.

since then, i stopped doing squats/dl and its been tough trying to work out my legs. my legs honestly dont get a whole lot of work and i know its not a good thing to do. im just scared of messing it up some more. every now and then though ill do some body weight squats with high reps or light weight leg press with 15 reps each set or so.
    Why the misc thinks all women are cheating whores
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133661021

If you sleep with a taken girl, you condone cheating
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170015893

jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jedi-niz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks a ton for sharing your story. Congrats on being mostly recovered and that 95% is likely to get close to 100% in time I'd expect .

But let me ask you, when do you typically have pain/discomfort now? And any other exercises or cardio you'd recommend in the gym?

For me personally, driving and sitting for long periods of time tend to aggravate the sciatica. Just driving in general really. And when I take days off from the gym and am inactive. I walk a lot in the gym and use the elliptical, these seem to help.

Appreciate the input and will rep on rc.
    For a long time I did absolutely nothing besides the dumb stretches recommended by the physical therapist.

I noticed sitting all day made it MUCH worse (school/work) I would recommend staying up right, try emphasizing good posture while walking to help your body feel better.

the biggest thing i recommend is foam rolling you will notice a huge difference as far as the sciatic pain. mine is barely noticable when sitting for a very long time or after waking up. but it usually goes away quickly since ive been foam rolling before and after all of my workouts.

DO NOT give up lifting especially deadlifts and squats. if u are using proper form with these lifts it feels like it helps push the discs back into alignment. (im no doctor but I feel this is true)

Originally Posted by my.self View Post
    99% sure herniated disc here.

i never got an xray for it, but both my primary and physical therapist think that i have a herniated disc based on my symptoms and what they have experienced/seen.

thankfully, i can tell mine isnt that bad. i used to have bad sciatica down my left leg a while back, but thats healed up with pt work. it still flares up once in a while though. im able to do like 90% of the things i was always used to doing. the thing that hurts the most is having my feet together and trying to bend over and touch my toes without bending my knees. i can bend down with my knees bent pretty fine, no problems with that.

i believe it was either my squat or dl form that caused it.

since then, i stopped doing squats/dl and its been tough trying to work out my legs. my legs honestly dont get a whole lot of work and i know its not a good thing to do. im just scared of messing it up some more. every now and then though ill do some body weight squats with high reps or light weight leg press with 15 reps each set or so.
    When did this happen? Are you close to 100% healed? Besides bending over and touching your toes (who needs to do that anyways...) do you pain/issues any other time? sitting in cars etr etc

TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TonyJH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Red face

I'm talking your back feels just like it did (or very close) prior to the herniation. And not having to do core exercises regularly to prevent pain from coming back. Basically can you go on with your life without being inconvenienced by your fukking back or it causing pain.

I feel and pray that this isn't something I'm gonna have to deal with the rest of my life. Please share your experience or knowledge guys. Thank you.
    In February I had 3 slipped discs in the middle of my spine from deadlifting, when I went to go get it checked out it also turns out I had scoliosis (spinal curve) so injury was waiting to happen anyways. To answer your question, YES you can recover from a herniated disc completely. I feel more mobile and am alot stronger now than what I was before my injury, just don't do stupid **** like deadlift or squat a weight you know you can't handle
    *Alina Baraz & Galimatias Urban Flora CREW*

Smykowski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Smykowski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Smykowski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Smykowski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Smykowski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Smykowski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Smykowski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Smykowski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Smykowski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Smykowski has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Smykowski has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    been having back problems for over 2 years can't even ****ing bench 20 pounds without severe pain 4 hours later but it might be due to a sciatic problem..I have slipped disks and slightly herniated(not sure what hte proper term is). With stretching and proper posture you can manage but I still can't lift
    edit: haven't gone to pt but I had xrays and mri's. I think I have piriformis syndrome

Originally Posted by TonyJH View Post
    In February I had 3 slipped discs in the middle of my spine from deadlifting, when I went to go get it checked out it also turns out I had scoliosis (spinal curve) so injury was waiting to happen anyways. To answer your question, YES you can recover from a herniated disc completely. I feel more mobile and am alot stronger now than what I was before my injury, just don't do stupid **** like deadlift or squat a weight you know you can't handle
    Thanks for the post and repped. Was this a lifting injury? And where was the herniated disc? No surgery? Slipped disc=herniated disc. Any other info you can share would be great. Like what did your rehab process involve etc. More info the better!

Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    been having back problems for over 2 years can't even ****ing bench 20 pounds without severe pain 4 hours later but it might be due to a sciatic problem..I have slipped disks and slightly herniated(not sure what hte proper term is). With stretching and proper posture you can manage but I still can't lift
    Herniated disc or bulging disc? Besides lifting are is your day to day life not affected?

bump

alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    my tip,

-FORM, DO NOT COUNT CHITTY REPS, stop at the first crap rep you do. this is very important.
    -DO NOT do exercises that hurt or make you feel pain
    - DO exercises that do not give you pain.

-rest, get off DL and squats for a while.
    - stretch every day
    -be patient,

-be PATIENT dammit
    -take a long time from DL and squatting. dont rush in. take months off (sorry brah, your back is more important than a PR)

-understand that this might not work with everyone, for some it does, for some it doesnt.
    Brazilian Crew [<O>]
    Keto(since 11/11/2011)

Originally Posted by al****orilla View Post
    my tip,

-FORM, DO NOT COUNT CHITTY REPS, stop at the first crap rep you do. this is very important.
    -DO NOT do exercises that hurt or make you feel pain
    - DO exercises that do not give you pain.

-rest, get off DL and squats for a while.
    - stretch every day
    -be patient,

-be PATIENT dammit
    -take a long time from DL and squatting. dont rush in. take months off (sorry brah, your back is more important than a PR)

-understand that this might not work with everyone, for some it does, for some it doesnt.
    Yeah I often forget that I need to be patient; healing is a process. Have you had this injury? if so, please share.

my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    When did this happen? Are you close to 100% healed? Besides bending over and touching your toes (who needs to do that anyways...) do you pain/issues any other time? sitting in cars etr etc
    happened about 3 years go. im close to 100% being healed, but not sure if i ever will be. i hope so though! occasionally my low back will be sore/tender. it doesnt necessarily hurt, but it is uncomfortable. ive noticed that my back will flare up and bring some pain if i sit for too long
    Why the misc thinks all women are cheating whores
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133661021

If you sleep with a taken girl, you condone cheating
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170015893

Originally Posted by my.self View Post
    happened about 3 years go. im close to 100% being healed, but not sure if i ever will be. i hope so though! occasionally my low back will be sore/tender. it doesnt necessarily hurt, but it is uncomfortable. ive noticed that my back will flare up and bring some pain if i sit for too long
    Same. And if sitting in a chair with little lower-back support I have discomfort immediately.

3 years is a long time man ... hope I can heal sooner.

bump

X-ray came back negative and my doctor just told me to rest for a few weeks (which isn't doing ****) and put me on flexeril (useless lol) for the back spasms I've had for 6 months.

Probably gonna have another MRI, and ill honestly take a herniated disc at this point. It'd be nice to know what's causing my back pain..

Originally Posted by Woolyyyy View Post
    X-ray came back negative and my doctor just told me to rest for a few weeks (which isn't doing ****) and put me on flexeril (useless lol) for the back spasms I've had for 6 months.

Probably gonna have another MRI, and ill honestly take a herniated disc at this point. It'd be nice to know what's causing my back pain..
    I think you'd need an MRI. X-rays I don't think will show if you have a herniated disc. If you had none of the tell-tale symptoms discussed ITT (such as intense pain when sneezing) then you probably don't have a herniated/bulging disc.

More replies you guys! If you had a herniated disc please post ITT if you haven't. I do rep most of you

SwoleCat33 is just really nice. (+1000) SwoleCat33 is just really nice. (+1000) SwoleCat33 is just really nice. (+1000) SwoleCat33 is just really nice. (+1000) SwoleCat33 is just really nice. (+1000) SwoleCat33 is just really nice. (+1000) SwoleCat33 is just really nice. (+1000) SwoleCat33 is just really nice. (+1000) SwoleCat33 is just really nice. (+1000) SwoleCat33 is just really nice. (+1000) SwoleCat33 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I herniated my L1/S5 disc doing deadlifts just before New Years. At first I just thought my back was really sore from lifting but it became apparent something was wrong. Within the next few weeks it became very weak, sore and stiff. I was an idiot and kept lifting pretty much at max potential except for doing deads and squats. Eventually, I pulled back to all machines to avoid picking up weights. After taking a few weeks off here and there for two months I realized I had to completely stop or else this would not get better.

So, I stopped lifting which was like the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Now... 4 months later and I'd say I'm only 2/3 of the way healed. In fact, it's odd because I didn't even experience sciatica until about the third month after the injury. At first it was very irritating. I remember some days I couldn't even sit upright in a chair without horrible nerve pain. But most days it's just been very uncomfortable and it comes and goes throughout the day always there to remind me that my back is fuked up.

I stretch for 30 mins twice a day and it seems to help, but it just tightens up after awhile and I have to start all over the next day. I take glucosemine, multi, ice it once a night, and my car has heated seats so I turn them on going to and from work. I placed pillows under the center of my mattress so it arches up aligning my spine more in my sleep.

Just when I think I'm getting better I wake up one day and its totally bothering me. The other day for the first time I did some lifting, just a few like 25lb tubs of water I filled in the tub and the next day I was supperrr sore again. After a week it seems to be getting better now... and I really hope I'm on the home stretch, but I'm reading that cartilage doesn't even fully heal b/c it lacks a blood supply.

I just want hope that I'm going to get better but typing these words isn't going to change the way my body wants to react. So, it's been a good six months and I'm out of shape, and embarrassed to even go out in public because I feel like complete garbage. When will this end, I just want to get my life going again.

BlackWolf111 is just really nice. (+1000) BlackWolf111 is just really nice. (+1000) BlackWolf111 is just really nice. (+1000) BlackWolf111 is just really nice. (+1000) BlackWolf111 is just really nice. (+1000) BlackWolf111 is just really nice. (+1000) BlackWolf111 is just really nice. (+1000) BlackWolf111 is just really nice. (+1000) BlackWolf111 is just really nice. (+1000) BlackWolf111 is just really nice. (+1000) BlackWolf111 is just really nice. (+1000)
    hurt my back end of February...Pushed through pain and trained till April 28th, finally saw doc, doc said rest up still trained for 2 more weeks, chit got worse, saw doc again, got MRI, mild buldge l4/l5/s1, mild facetal arthropathy

Rehabbing since 28th April, still not 100 % chit flares up pretty bad sumtimes...Need directions brahs
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

****Fantasize 24/7 about being alpha and slaying chicks crew****
    ****Intelligent But Underachiever Crew****
    ****Never Been Kissed Crew****

PRIMETIMEENT will become famous soon enough. (+50) PRIMETIMEENT will become famous soon enough. (+50) PRIMETIMEENT will become famous soon enough. (+50) PRIMETIMEENT will become famous soon enough. (+50) PRIMETIMEENT will become famous soon enough. (+50) PRIMETIMEENT will become famous soon enough. (+50) PRIMETIMEENT will become famous soon enough. (+50) PRIMETIMEENT will become famous soon enough. (+50) PRIMETIMEENT will become famous soon enough. (+50) PRIMETIMEENT will become famous soon enough. (+50) PRIMETIMEENT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had herniated my L5-S1 during my sophomore year playing college football. Went and saw a couple of doctors and one told me my back looked like a 50 year old mans back should, told me if I was his son that he would never let me play football again. (new I was going to play again so disregarded everything he said) Decided to hold off on surgery to see if you would heal on its own. Continued to play football and eventually made it worse. Got to the point where I was in pain 24/7 if I wasnt laying down with my legs elevated to alleviate all pressure off of my back. Sitting in class I would literally have to sit perfectly straight up lower back locked the entire time just to make the pain bearable while in class. Told parents I needed surgery and needed it right away. Was going to be coming home in two weeks and needed to have surgery then because the pain was just so bad. Mom ended up spending those entire two weeks researching doctors/treatments trying to fine the absolute best. Let me tell you she probably saved my back and my football scholarship. Ended up having the surgery by the top rated doctor in California. Operation was a breeze, out patient, I was able to leave the hospital as soon as I could walk to the door and back on my own. (prob took me 2 hours after waking, did it first time they allowed me to try) Needless to say I had to fly back to school the next day as my spring break was over. Doc said I was fine to fly, and my only instructions for healing was to walk at least a mile a day for at least 30days. After 30days he said I could resume activity with my team, lifting and running and said 3 months I could practice full contact. Needless to say I was able to finish my football career and didnt have a single problem with my back. Between lifting and playing I know I put a lot of stress on my back but it felt fine the entire time. The surgery I was called a microdiscectomy. It was the least invasive and the scar I have is about in Inch long on my spine. All they do is make an incision on your spine and go down with a laser and remove the part of the disc that is bulging out and then close up the disc. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me and I will answer best I can.

Cliffs:
    -herniated my L5-S1
    -doc said never to play football again, back looks like 50yo man
    -had a microdiscectomy to fix disc and have had no pain since

Jv0099 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    PRIMETIMEENT nailed it for me. I'm not sure how I injured mine but I was miserable for 8 months. I couldn't tie my shoes! Once in the grocery store, after I bent over too far, I had to sit down and wait for the burning to stop After an MRI and some steroid injections I had the microdiscectomy through an incision less than the size of a stick of gum. I still have the marks the bandages left on my skin and I feel like a new man.