Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Deadlift form check

Hey guys,
    I recently started to hit the gym and I've been attempting to have proper form/technique when it comes to deadlifts.
    My stats are 5'7 125lbs
    Sorry about the angle, I didn't read the sticky until after I made the video. If another angle is needed, let me know and I'll try to get another one ASAP.

71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000)
    For a newbie, well done.
    That was actually a pretty good lift.

The lockout was a little disjointed but still not bad.
    What I mean by that is your knees lockout slightly before your hips do. Everything should stop moving at the same time.

Towards the end you looked a little fatigued in that your hips come up a little before your back/shoulders do. You can see a little lean forward on the last rep.
    On the road to 1250

Train consistently, move iron with purpose, eat well, sleep well and achieve.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You descend too slowly. You're exaggerating the lockout with your lower back.

However the fact you can carry it back to the rack tells me that's nowhere near heavy enough for us to give you an actual form check.

Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oshiha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 71Avido View Post
    For a newbie, well done.
    That was actually a pretty good lift.

The lockout was a little disjointed but still not bad.
    What I mean by that is your knees lockout slightly before your hips do. Everything should stop moving at the same time.

Towards the end you looked a little fatigued in that your hips come up a little before your back/shoulders do. You can see a little lean forward on the last rep.
    Thank you for the advice. I'll try to lockout with everything stopping at the same time.
    Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    You descend too slowly. You're exaggerating the lockout with your lower back.

However the fact you can carry it back to the rack tells me that's nowhere near heavy enough for us to give you an actual form check.
    I'' try the descend a little faster next time. Should I be leaning back a bit at the end of the lockout? I've seen some guys do that, which is why I'm trying that out. If its not correct, I'll try to just keep my lower back straight.

I've tried doing 60 on each side, (so 165lbs in total), and I can't seem to get my back straight when doing the heavier weights. Also if its too heavy for me to lift, I don't want to leave the bar on the ground with weights, have to be courteous to other people (if theres another way to do this, let me know!)!.

As a beginner, I've been told to use lower weights to perfect form, before going heavy- doing 1 rep.

71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Oshiha View Post
    (if theres another way to do this, let me know!)!.
    Roll one side onto a small plate, 5lbs or something like that.
    It gets that one end off the ground enough for you to unload the plates.

Or if you have access one, these kick ass:

My gym has a home-made version.
    On the road to 1250

Train consistently, move iron with purpose, eat well, sleep well and achieve.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'' try the descend a little faster next time. Should I be leaning back a bit at the end of the lockout? I've seen some guys do that, which is why I'm trying that out. If its not correct, I'll try to just keep my lower back straight.
    Lock out with your glutes, not your lower back. There's no "lean back" at all. After lock out you should be standing up straight.

I've tried doing 60 on each side, (so 165lbs in total), and I can't seem to get my back straight when doing the heavier weights. Also if its too heavy for me to lift, I don't want to leave the bar on the ground with weights, have to be courteous to other people (if theres another way to do this, let me know!)!.

As a beginner, I've been told to use lower weights to perfect form, before going heavy- doing 1 rep.
    That's not exactly what I meant but I understand what you're saying.

Are you doing a strength training program? If so you should have a planned progression for yourself and you should know what you need to lift each workout.

Originally Posted by 71Avido View Post
    Roll one side onto a small plate, 5lbs or something like that.
    It gets that one end off the ground enough for you to unload the plates.

Or if you have access one, these kick ass:
    My gym has a home-made version.
    Will do this! thank you!

Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    Lock out with your glutes, not your lower back. There's no "lean back" at all. After lock out you should be standing up straight.

That's not exactly what I meant but I understand what you're saying.

Are you doing a strength training program? If so you should have a planned progression for yourself and you should know what you need to lift each workout.
    Got it. Not really, I'm aiming more towards building mass (I'm skinny).

Went to gym today and thought I would record a video of a new PR for me.
    Tried to lock out the kness and hips at the same time, but I can see my back is curving a bit.
    Let me know what you think of this form!
    dropbox.com/s/bdwzp4bq0nqkknm/20130619_234554.mp4