timramos94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Optimal program for strength progression and athletic performance while on a cut?

Hi all,

I am 5'10" and hovering between 160-165 lb. Been on SS (substituted pendlay rows for cleans, will learn to clean eventually) for almost 3 months now with my latest completed 3x5 lift numbers as follows:

Squat: 190
    Bench: 140
    OHP: 95
    Deadlift (1x5): 290
    Pendlay row: 145

It's been pretty hard to progress being on a caloric deficit on this program which I believe is a major reason why my lift numbers are so low even after 3 months. I haven't been progressing on a workout to workout basis for as long as I can remember. I stall frequently and it's very much becoming a weekly progression at this point. I also do Krav Maga 2x week later in the day after lifting. I plan on incorporating running and other conditioning workouts soon, probably on a daily basis. I know all of these will negatively affect my lift progress, but getting big isn't my goal, performance (being as strong, fast, and physically capable as possible) is, though I am choosing to first cut down body fat. I was thinking maybe I'd switch to Madcow 5x5 since that actually plans for weekly progression or an RPT 3 day split a la leangains suited toward my diet. Please direct me toward a strength progression program suited to meeting my goals.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Changing program will not cause you to suddenly be able to gain muscle while losing fat. Your numbers are still in the novice range so you can stick to SS but you won't make any real progress until the cutting phase is done and you start increasing calories.

Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    westside for skinny bastards

timramos94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Changing program will not cause you to suddenly be able to gain muscle while losing fat. Your numbers are still in the novice range so you can stick to SS but you won't make any real progress until the cutting phase is done and you start increasing calories.
    Thanks, though I would like to know whether sticking to SS and stalling frequently would be better than following a program with slower progression, or would my strength progression be the same regardless of program?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by timramos94 View Post
    Thanks, though I would like to know whether sticking to SS and stalling frequently would be better than following a program with slower progression, or would my strength progression be the same regardless of program?
    I don't think there is a lot in it... but if we are being particular about it, I generally prefer to see twice as many sessions completed without grinding or straining vs. failed sessions... Perhaps you could make some slight modifications - so that you "stall" after only 1 failed attempt but only set the weight back 2 increments.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you want to get stronger, you typically have to eat...which is probably when you're stalling out at such light weight for SS.
    OG