mgonzalez777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Figure Competition: First Timer....

I know I should upload phots, Im at work right now, but I will do so, soon. I'll be competeing in August. I'll be doing a 16 week prep with a coach, but am just so nervous about the whole process. Im scared I wont have enough muscle mass and look rediculous on stage. And I dont know if Bikini is something I want to do.

Im 25 years old. 19% BF. 128ish. 5'4" eating 1600 cals 50/30/20 (as of a few weeks ago) Before that I was 40/40/20 p/c/f. Following the Live Fit program as a guide adding more sets, or active rest sets. Im training 6 days a week. legs twice a week, and will through in an extra day of shoulders to make it twice that Im training them. I just recently started doing a few minutes of HITT, 20 min max no more than 4 times a week. (I started that before I decided to compete) I meet with my coach this Saturday so I'll see if she ups or lowers my cardio.

I am most nervous about any metabloic damage happening or the insane amouts of cardio and low calorie that could be harming my body. Again, I meet with my coach this weekend so hopefully I can ask her more about what she plans for me to do.

I just dont know if realistically I have the muscle mass to even look like a figure competitor after the cutting phase. Ive read that muscle shouldnt be built in the 16 week prep. That this prep is to cut and show off what muscle you gained in the off season. Since this is my first show, I really didnt follow an off season plan. I did eat higher claories with higher carbs, and tried to lift as heavy as I could, I increased my strenght, but I still dont know if that is enough.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey! First of all, best of luck competing! I too am doing my first show (bikini) in August and it's scary/awesome/exciting all at the same time.

That being said, the prep work leading up to a competition is typically the dieting/cutting phase in which you lose primarily fat. You won't gain muscle in this part at all - seems like you know that already. If you are concerned you won't have enough muscle once you cut down, perhaps it would be a better idea to just spend 9-12 months building muscle first, then begin your comp prep for a later date. I know it sucks to push it back - when I first got into this I wanted to compete LIKE RIGHT NOW but knew I had to go through all the growing first. Took a while, but I know I would have kicked myself stepping on stage too skinny and with no muscle to show. Figure requires a good deal of muscle, and if you are worried about not having enough for it, you might be right (maybe post pics like you mentioned and we can give you some better ideas of where you are at progress-wise!) I would definitely recommend a long, slow bulk before jumping into things.

As for metabolic damage, as long as you approach things gradually there should be no harm done. Your coach should be able to ease you into the process by figuring out your maintenance calories then slowly decreasing so you don't shock your system. "Insane" amounts of cardio should not be necessary as long as your diet is on key.

Perhaps your coach can give you good guidance as to whether or not you'd be ready in 16 weeks
    If you change nothing, nothing will change.

My journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153752941

www.rachelelizabethknits.com

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by rachelily View Post
    Perhaps your coach can give you good guidance as to whether or not you'd be ready in 16 weeks.
    This.^^

Your coach should be able to answer all of your questions...that's what you pay them for.

Good luck to you!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mgonzalez777 View Post
    I know I should upload phots, Im at work right now, but I will do so, soon. I'll be competeing in August. I'll be doing a 16 week prep with a coach, but am just so nervous about the whole process. Im scared I wont have enough muscle mass and look rediculous on stage. And I dont know if Bikini is something I want to do.

Im 25 years old. 19% BF. 128ish. 5'4" eating 1600 cals 50/30/20 (as of a few weeks ago) Before that I was 40/40/20 p/c/f. Following the Live Fit program as a guide adding more sets, or active rest sets. Im training 6 days a week. legs twice a week, and will through in an extra day of shoulders to make it twice that Im training them. I just recently started doing a few minutes of HITT, 20 min max no more than 4 times a week. (I started that before I decided to compete) I meet with my coach this Saturday so I'll see if she ups or lowers my cardio.

I am most nervous about any metabloic damage happening or the insane amouts of cardio and low calorie that could be harming my body. Again, I meet with my coach this weekend so hopefully I can ask her more about what she plans for me to do.

I just dont know if realistically I have the muscle mass to even look like a figure competitor after the cutting phase. Ive read that muscle shouldnt be built in the 16 week prep. That this prep is to cut and show off what muscle you gained in the off season. Since this is my first show, I really didnt follow an off season plan. I did eat higher claories with higher carbs, and tried to lift as heavy as I could, I increased my strenght, but I still dont know if that is enough.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    Honestly you never know what your body is going to look like until you take it to that level. I recently watched a video from my first competition and I was so tiny I looked like I was 12 lol. You have to start somewhere... Your coach should be able to tell you if you d be ready but the only way you really know is to go for it!!
    IFBB Bikini Pro
    NFPT & NESTA Certified Personal Trainer
    CEO BamBody Nutrition
    Official Formutech Nutrition Athlete
    Www.formutechnutrition.com

Originally Posted by rachelily View Post
    Hey! First of all, best of luck competing! I too am doing my first show (bikini) in August and it's scary/awesome/exciting all at the same time.

That being said, the prep work leading up to a competition is typically the dieting/cutting phase in which you lose primarily fat. You won't gain muscle in this part at all - seems like you know that already. If you are concerned you won't have enough muscle once you cut down, perhaps it would be a better idea to just spend 9-12 months building muscle first, then begin your comp prep for a later date. I know it sucks to push it back - when I first got into this I wanted to compete LIKE RIGHT NOW but knew I had to go through all the growing first. Took a while, but I know I would have kicked myself stepping on stage too skinny and with no muscle to show. Figure requires a good deal of muscle, and if you are worried about not having enough for it, you might be right (maybe post pics like you mentioned and we can give you some better ideas of where you are at progress-wise!) I would definitely recommend a long, slow bulk before jumping into things.

As for metabolic damage, as long as you approach things gradually there should be no harm done. Your coach should be able to ease you into the process by figuring out your maintenance calories then slowly decreasing so you don't shock your system. "Insane" amounts of cardio should not be necessary as long as your diet is on key.

Perhaps your coach can give you good guidance as to whether or not you'd be ready in 16 weeks

Best of luck at your show!!!Its all so exciting and nervewrecking all at the same time! I had seen a few of posts on one of the threads I follow, maybe the bulking one. Hope your prep is good to you
    After reading some articles I understand this prep is mainly to shed the fat and show the newly created muscle from off season. I didnt really have a true off season. I was having a difficult time finding a local coach or an online coach I felt comfortable with. So I decided to just do my own thing, following the live fit program, and as the summer months started getting closer I made those recent changes in diet and cardio just slim down some for the short shorts season lol. But then all of a sudden I ended up finding a local coach. I meet with her tomorrow. But in the last few months I was testing and trying out what worked for my body. I had managed to gain a few pounds of muscle and was able to drop a little fat. ( a good friend of mine is a trainer and took my body comp) I def wasnt following a traditional bulk. But was def noticing gains during my training. Just really pushing myself to lift heavier and heavier when I felt I could do it.
    Truthfully, I doubt myself. I always question if Im doing the right thing for my body, eating enough, in the correct macro ratio, and if Im lifting heavy enough. But my coach seems to be optimist through our inital emails, and says we'll train for it regardless and can decide after a few weeks.

Anyway, Thanks for your help and advice.

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    This.^^

Your coach should be able to answer all of your questions...that's what you pay them for.

Good luck to you!
    I will most definietly be asking her these questions. I meet with her tomorrow, Just figured I could use this forum for advice or help from others who compete, are competeing for the first time.

Originally Posted by srb04e View Post
    Honestly you never know what your body is going to look like until you take it to that level. I recently watched a video from my first competition and I was so tiny I looked like I was 12 lol. You have to start somewhere... Your coach should be able to tell you if you d be ready but the only way you really know is to go for it!!
    Thank you so much! This gives me encouragment. you are absolutly right, I wont know until I put my body through this process to see what it is capable of. Like I said to Rachelily, my coach seems to be so optimistic and from her history I trust her. I guess I just have to be more confident and trust my own body. I appreciate your post!

IndigoWar will become famous soon enough. (+50) IndigoWar will become famous soon enough. (+50) IndigoWar will become famous soon enough. (+50) IndigoWar will become famous soon enough. (+50) IndigoWar will become famous soon enough. (+50) IndigoWar will become famous soon enough. (+50) IndigoWar will become famous soon enough. (+50) IndigoWar will become famous soon enough. (+50) IndigoWar will become famous soon enough. (+50) IndigoWar will become famous soon enough. (+50) IndigoWar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When DLB was your size (assuming she has gotten a lil bigger since last year) she definitely had enough muscle to show off on stage! Go for it girl! And as was said in the post above, you truly don't know what that last 5 or 6 percent body fat shred is gonna show. Best of luck to you Ma'am.
    Does MTFU have a Crew? Cuz I want to join it!

- A Vag can take a punch, so why do we always comment on the cojones?

Originally Posted by IndigoWar View Post
    When DLB was your size (assuming she has gotten a lil bigger since last year) she definitely had enough muscle to show off on stage! Go for it girl! And as was said in the post above, you truly don't know what that last 5 or 6 percent body fat shred is gonna show. Best of luck to you Ma'am.
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you ! reading this ^^ is making more excited to meet with my coach tomorrow! And hey, Im not doing this to win/place just gain the experience. And hopefully get a plan from my coach to have a true off season this fall and come back stronger next year!

rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rachelily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Best of luck at your show!!!Its all so exciting and nervewrecking all at the same time! I had seen a few of posts on one of the threads I follow, maybe the bulking one. Hope your prep is good to you
    After reading some articles I understand this prep is mainly to shed the fat and show the newly created muscle from off season. I didnt really have a true off season. I was having a difficult time finding a local coach or an online coach I felt comfortable with. So I decided to just do my own thing, following the live fit program, and as the summer months started getting closer I made those recent changes in diet and cardio just slim down some for the short shorts season lol. But then all of a sudden I ended up finding a local coach. I meet with her tomorrow. But in the last few months I was testing and trying out what worked for my body. I had managed to gain a few pounds of muscle and was able to drop a little fat. ( a good friend of mine is a trainer and took my body comp) I def wasnt following a traditional bulk. But was def noticing gains during my training. Just really pushing myself to lift heavier and heavier when I felt I could do it.
    Truthfully, I doubt myself. I always question if Im doing the right thing for my body, eating enough, in the correct macro ratio, and if Im lifting heavy enough. But my coach seems to be optimist through our inital emails, and says we'll train for it regardless and can decide after a few weeks.

Anyway, Thanks for your help and advice.
    Then I say go for it You've got the drive to do it! It's so easy to doubt ourselves when starting up something as crazy as a competition .. but we'll be rooting for you all the way! Maybe start a log on here too
    If you change nothing, nothing will change.

My journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153752941

www.rachelelizabethknits.com

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I will most definietly be asking her these questions. I meet with her tomorrow, Just figured I could use this forum for advice or help from others who compete, are competeing for the first time.
    It's impossible to give honest feedback without progress pics. How many years of consistent weight training do you have under your belt? In figure the judges will be looking for some decent overall muscle, combined with a nice balance between upper/lower body. They favour bigger, rounded delts, a wider back with a solid v-taper, giving the illusion of a smaller waist. They want to see quad separation in the legs, with a tight set of hamm/glutes to match.

A good coach won't send you to the stage unprepared.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)