Thread: Bill Phillips

sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Bill Phillips

Anybody remember Bill Phillips?

Any comments about Met RX and EAS?

I must say that they were some of the better tasting supplements!

I found this interesting read (I added the pics):

In 1985 Phillips' soon to be flourishing publishing empire, Mile High Publishing, began with a small newsletter teaching bodybuilders how to use anabolic steroids. The newsletter was written and printed in his mother's basement. Funded with $185 he and his brother had made from mowing lawns, its original name was The Anabolic Reference Update.

MM2K

In 1992, Phillips moved out of his mother's home and dramatically changed the publication's format and its name to Muscle Media 2000 (usually referred to as "MM2K"). The magazine grew rapidly in popularity, partly because of its frank discussion of the underground aspects of bodybuilding such as the use of and even how-to smuggle steroids, and columns by controversial writers such as The Steroid Guru Dan Duchaine, and Editor-in-Chief TC Luoma. At the time every other bodybuilding publication was completely devoid of such "taboo" subjects.

Phillips also stated that MM2K would independently laboratory test every prospective advertiser's supplements and ensure they met nutrient label claims before he allowed their advertisements in the magazine. Such assurances and the new-found candid way previously taboo subjects were openly covered appealed strongly to many bodybuilders, and accordingly Phillips gained their trust.

MET-Rx

In MM2K Phillips highly endorsed MET-Rx (a meal replacement supplement), and this relationship with readers helped it become the highest selling bodybuilding supplement ever at that time.

It was later revealed however, that Phillips and the creator of MET-Rx, Dr. A. Scott Connelly, were in fact business partners, and the endorsements clever marketing. This partnership also included bodybuilders Lee Labrada and Jeff Everson.

It was around this time that Phillips began working with convicted felon James Bradshaw. Bradshaw was considered at the time to be the largest steroid dealer on the West Coast, grossing over $40,000 a week. This eventually would lead to Bradshaw serving four years in a Louisiana prison, where he educated himself on marketing.

It was Bradshaw who reportedly convinced Phillips to market MET-Rx heavily in the Natural Supplement Review, Phillips' supposed unbiased review of numerous bodybuilding supplements. He also had the idea for Phillips to give the Review away for free to readers of Muscle Media 2000 providing the MET-Rx with addresses of potential buyers, and a large amount of advertising. Sales of MET-Rx rose exponentially. Bradshaw and Phillips had stumbled upon a very successful method of marketing to bodybuilders, and they, and original investors Everson and Connelly, got very wealthy. Their partnership was short-lived however.

Phillips and Connelly had an agreement that distribution of MET-Rx would be controlled, and that they would not sell it to retail outlets in order to keep supply low during the period of high demand created by the advertisements in Muscle Media 2000. Connelly however, had other ideas and began selling it to mainstream distributors and department stores. Phillips believed this move lessened its appeal to bodybuilders, and destroyed the "mystique" of the product. The two parted ways, and as part of the settlement, Phillips was legally bound not to mention the name of MET-Rx in his magazines (thereafter he would refer to it as "the leading brand"). But by then Phillips had his eye on another venture that would eclipse MET-Rx altogether - EAS.

sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    EAS

Phillips acquired Experimental and Applied Sciences (EAS) from founders Anthony Almada and Ed Byrd in 1996. He promoted the company's products through heavy editorial-style advertisements in MM2K, and led by flagship products like Myoplex (ironically a MET-Rx copy), Phos****en and HMB this would eventually put him at the forefront of the nutritional supplement industry for more than five years.

By 1995 Phillips was a multi-millionaire, and was well known in celebrity and sports circles. Athletes like José Canseco would contact Phillips for advice on steroids, and he also consulted with celebrities such as Jerry Seinfeld, John Elway, Sylvester Stallone and Demi Moore. However it was that year that he had a medical scare when a tumor in his jaw and neck was discovered. Phillips promptly proposed to then-girlfriend Ami Cusack. The tumor turned out to be benign, and was removed from around his salivary gland. Some employees at the time of MM2K later noted in Testosterone Magazine that by that time Phillips had become rather eccentric. Reportedly, after the tumor was removed, he returned to "hanging up survey sheets from MM2K that showed Bill was our most popular writer. Each one had the words, 'Bill knows his audience!' written on them."[2] Soon Phillips and Cusack's wedding was postponed and Phillips was regularly seen at strip clubs and in his magazine with fitness models and Playboy bunnies.

Muscle Media

In 1997 Phillips was eager to expand his empire beyond the bodybuilding industry. MM2K changed from targeting the hardcore bodybuilder, to the more mainstream exercise participant, and the July 1997 issue saw the magazine redubbed simply as Muscle Media. The change in direction alienated most of the traditional readers. Publication has now ceased, however Muscle Media at its peak had a distribution of half a million

High Point Media

In 1999, Phillips sold his majority interest in EAS (though he remained on the Board of Directors for a number of years afterward) to a private equity firm and concentrated on his writing and on promotion of his books through his publishing company, High Point Media. In 2004, he completely sold his remaining interest and is no longer involved with EAS.

Phillips' more recent work, Eating for Life: Your Guide to Great Health, Fat Loss and Increased Energy!, offers his plan "to help inspire and guide even more people to improve their health and lift their quality of life to new heights." His forthcoming book "Transformation: Now and for LIFE" is scheduled for release May 17, 2007.

In February 2006 Phillips announced his "Great American Transformation Experience" (GATE) with a goal to transform America's fitness from world's worst to first within 10 years.

V3S

In October of 2000 Phillips' non-compete contract with EAS/Ross Labs expired and he launched his next project: V3S or Vitacube Systems. V3S was a vitamin, nutritional and health products company that sold the VitaCube System. The line failed to catch on despite extensive marketing and endorsement from Mike Shanahan of the Denver Broncos and has since been discontinued.

spicymelon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) spicymelon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) spicymelon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) spicymelon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) spicymelon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) spicymelon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) spicymelon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) spicymelon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) spicymelon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) spicymelon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) spicymelon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    He's a smart man. I study direct response advertising and a lot of the big names in the industry use him as an example to show how successful businesses can built upon using print media alone.

ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz
    Awh yes, I pulled up my search on EAS. Which I started using in 1994ish. Back when it was only a mail order.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/search...chid=310979271

This was the first product to ever send me to the ER. I was all new to creatine and learned quickly that being in the Marines and doing 30 days training in the Twentynine Palms, CA. desert did not go well. I would put this in my canteen. Yet I would sweat my ass off all day long wearing flack jackets and gear. I went down with sever dehydration. I talk about the hospital visit in some of these posts in the link.

US Marine Corps Vet 8 years ( 92/00 ) - Semper Fi - ★cVc★

Iceman1981 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1981 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1981 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1981 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1981 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1981 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1981 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1981 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1981 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1981 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1981 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ZBlacktt View Post
    Awh yes, I pulled up my search on EAS. Which I started using in 1994ish. Back when it was only a mail order.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/search...chid=310979271

This was the first product to ever send me to the ER. I was all new to creatine and learned quickly that being in the Marines and doing 30 days training in the Twentynine Palms, CA. desert did not go well. I would put this in my canteen. Yet I would sweat my ass off all day long wearing flack jackets and gear. I went down with sever dehydration. I talk about the hospital visit in some of these posts in the link.

I remember using Phos****en back in the mid 90's. The grape flavour was the nastiest thing I've ever tasted, but the product worked. I gained 10 lbs and most of it was quality size with very little water bloat. I bet it wasn't only just pure monohydrate creatine in that product.
    Legends Of Bodybuilding!!! 1000's OF PICS OF YOUR FAVOURITE BODYBUILDERS!!!

********: https://www.********.com/lobofficial/
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lob_forever/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNy...CGkj1WuOBceyFA

ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I was around back then and he sure started out good but eventually sold out.

Anyone remember Dr. X who was dying from AIDS but self administering anabolics as therapy from the magazines?
    or
    T.C Luoma's trip to Mexico?
    or
    Stoney Grimes pigging out on doughnuts the night before a show?

Good thread OP.

ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Iceman1981 View Post
    I remember using Phos****en back in the mid 90's. The grape flavour was the nastiest thing I've ever tasted, but the product worked. I gained 10 lbs and most of it was quality size with very little water bloat. I bet it wasn't only just pure monohydrate creatine in that product.
    Good times, lol. When it first came out it had zero flavors. It was just a very fine white sand powder. I'd mix it with plain water because I never though of putting in flavored drinks. It was like drinking fresh water with well sand in it. More so that last gulp. I was of the mind set of it says take twice a day. So I'll take it three times. So I over loaded on creatine a lot.
    US Marine Corps Vet 8 years ( 92/00 ) - Semper Fi - ★cVc★

masthead716 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) masthead716 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) masthead716 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) masthead716 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) masthead716 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) masthead716 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) masthead716 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) masthead716 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) masthead716 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) masthead716 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) masthead716 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Awesome thread...very interesting stuff
    Instagram - @dan_evan1