Thread: Am I too young?

Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Am I too young?

I'm very interested in getting certified but I'm worried I'll have issues finding clients due to my age. What are your opinions on 18/19 year old personal trainers and their ability to find clients?
    "I do not fear failure... I fear mediocrity."
    .:Spring Cutters Crew:.
    USAPL junior 83kg class
    Squat: 392lbs Bench: 270lbs Deadlift: 424lbs

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    There is a lot of ageism in this industry so you will have a harder time at the beginning finding clients, more so likely than a 30 year old. However, you also have to consider how far ahead you will be if you start at a younger age. If you want to do it badly enough and be good at it, then just realize that you're going to have to prove yourself more and probably work harder a bit, but then by the time you're 25 you're going to be way ahead of the game.

Remember, nobody knows how old you are right away - if people see you doing a good job, attentive and giving people great results then they aren't likely to care as much how old you are.

Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crack3rJack3r will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    There is a lot of ageism in this industry so you will have a harder time at the beginning finding clients, more so likely than a 30 year old. However, you also have to consider how far ahead you will be if you start at a younger age. If you want to do it badly enough and be good at it, then just realize that you're going to have to prove yourself more and probably work harder a bit, but then by the time you're 25 you're going to be way ahead of the game.

Remember, nobody knows how old you are right away - if people see you doing a good job, attentive and giving people great results then they aren't likely to care as much how old you are.
    Very true thanks. I could pass for early 20s so I just won't tell people my age.
    USAPL junior 83kg class

CSDFITNESS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "age is just a number" haha.

I run my own personal training business, am young and have hired many personal trainers that are much older than me. Don't be intimidated by this issue. If you get results and good at what you do it won't matter.
    Owner of a personal training business.

www.csdfitness.com

Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Crack3rJack3r View Post
    I'm very interested in getting certified but I'm worried I'll have issues finding clients due to my age. What are your opinions on 18/19 year old personal trainers and their ability to find clients?
    Grow a Beard

Im 25 and I still get people making comments on how young I am xD

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ageism is very alive and real. I had one of my clients tell me that she was prepared to hate me (at 24 years old). To be honest, it is a blessing and a curse. If you know your stuff, you keep a professional image, and let people see how hard you work, there are plenty of opportunities for younger people in this field. Stay humble, but don't let anyone discount you because of your age. If you appear unsure of yourself, that is when your age will become an issue.

That being said, I'm 25 now and I get comments about being in high school/college all the time. In 20 years it will be awesome, but now it definitely makes you work a little bit harder for those leads.

Thanks guys. Also, is there a getting started guide on this thread somewhere? I couldn't find it.
    USAPL junior 83kg class

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks guys. Also, is there a getting started guide on this thread somewhere? I couldn't find it.
    Take a look at some of the sticky posts. Also, there is tons of info to uncover using the search feature on this forum. Even if you scroll below my post, you will see "Similar Threads" and there are many of them.

Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Don't disclose your age to anyone and it won't be a problem. How many people ask a PT "how old are you" when picking them out? Your physique looks good and people will look at that more than they will look at your age.

Age really shouldn't matter. I've heard some 30 something year old PT's say some very absurd things to their clients in the gym that I knew weren't true even as a teenager.

bellamafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellamafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellamafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellamafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellamafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellamafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellamafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellamafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellamafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellamafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bellamafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i'm in the same boat as a 5'4 female, i feel like i probably wouldn't be taken seriously.

LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by bellamafia View Post
    i'm in the same boat as a 5'4 female, i feel like i probably wouldn't be taken seriously.
    I think you would just have to market yourself to a more specified market. Would the general population/females looking to lose weight take you seriously? Sure. Why not? Would a powerlifter/bodybuilder looking to bench 300pounds? It would probably take more of an open mind...
    You give something up for everything you gain

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I could be tough.
    Hands on experience is against you right now.
    You may go through any of the toughest PT certs but if you haven't done some of the things you learned on your own you are just a book or youtube experienced type of trainer.
    Please dont take this as an bash it JMO.
    One thing you may consider is training people younger than you or senior citizens to start with and get your foot in the door.
    I feel these clients would be more receptive to you and it would be good experience.
    Don't give up your dream.
    Just get as knowledgable as possible learn as much hands on as you can.

mccoyadam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im in the same boat as you. im currently 18, straight out of high school and working on my certification courses. Ive been asked by older trainers how i plan on approaching the fact that im probably going to be the youngest trainer. Just be sure that you know all your stuff, and most importantly, be friendly. In the end thats whats going to turn a client to you, is your friendliness. Treat them all like they are your best friend, and just show an overall commitment to them. Other than that, just go out and prove all the ageists wrong.