Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by VeryMiscular View Post
    Lol I swear you just started...
    Also, what are you talking about? lol I've been in grad school forever! Clinical psych PhD programs are generally 5-6 years.
    Random Guy, Ph.D., Clinical Psychologist
    -Although I offer advice and information, I am not diagnosing or treating anyone
    with anything.

inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) inq is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Where did you go to school OP? Congrats!

And lol at anyone who says OP can't be a "real doctor". PhDs are the only "real" doctor in my book because they did actual research. MDs have professional doctorates and are physicians and surgeons. You don't call lawyers with a JD a doctor, do you? Obviously I know that a doctor of medicine is still a doctor in that field, but I'm just referring to the common man's interpretation of prestige.
    ---
    ---
    Aware Thread: You know you can TRIPLE the Chipotle Bowl, right?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168524803

S&P crew
    CollegeTrad.com - "A young man's perspective on timeless and youthful style"

VeryMiscular is just really nice. (+1000) VeryMiscular is just really nice. (+1000) VeryMiscular is just really nice. (+1000) VeryMiscular is just really nice. (+1000) VeryMiscular is just really nice. (+1000) VeryMiscular is just really nice. (+1000) VeryMiscular is just really nice. (+1000) VeryMiscular is just really nice. (+1000) VeryMiscular is just really nice. (+1000) VeryMiscular is just really nice. (+1000) VeryMiscular is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
    Just curious-what are your reasons for thinking PsyDs are destroying the field? Curious to hear your perspective.
    It's pretty much a clinical degree, which draws the question why does need more clinical training post masters, specifically for 4-5 years. The lack of research is taking away from contributions of scholarly work that we receive from research heavy phd's. Although becoming a theoretician is important, most of the learning does come from the pragmatic applications. You can have knowledge of many different therapeutic techniques, but if you're a potato in applying them, learning more will not help. The learning of psychometrics to apply batteries/inventories is heavily rooted in research and statistics, so if you want to enhance that aspect, wouldn't you go the research route?

edit: No more separation of the wheat from the chaff, also you're practically purchasing the degree.

Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
    Also, what are you talking about? lol I've been in grad school forever! Clinical psych PhD programs are generally 5-6 years.
    I was alluding to my comment about old school longitudinal studies... then again it's a lot more convenient to work on PhD's nowadays, not to take anything away from your hard work or anything. Back in the day, from what my elders in the field tell me lol, you had to contact various libraries around the country and world to see if they had a specific article. They would make a copy and send it out. Usually it was not even beneficial or had other complications etc. Which was a long part of the process. Now we are fortunate to have most of what we need at our fingertips.

If I go back to school, my dissertation will be related to measuring practitioners' emotional stability srs
    Last edited by VeryMiscular; 05-04-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by inq View Post
    Where did you go to school OP? Congrats!

And lol at anyone who says OP can't be a "real doctor". PhDs are the only "real" doctor in my book because they did actual research. MDs have professional doctorates and are physicians and surgeons. You don't call lawyers with a JD a doctor, do you? Obviously I know that a doctor of medicine is still a doctor in that field, but I'm just referring to the common man's interpretation of prestige.
    It’s a small field and PhD programs are small (10 or less) so I don’t disclose what school I attended. I want to protect my privacy. Hope you understand!
    And thanks for your comment! I appreciate the respect.
    Originally Posted by VeryMiscular View Post
    It's pretty much a clinical degree, which draws the question why does need more clinical training post masters, specifically for 4-5 years. The lack of research is taking away from contributions of scholarly work that we receive from research heavy phd's. Although becoming a theoretician is important, most of the learning does come from the pragmatic applications. You can have knowledge of many different therapeutic techniques, but if you're a potato in applying them, learning more will not help. The learning of psychometrics to apply batteries/inventories is heavily rooted in research and statistics, so if you want to enhance that aspect, wouldn't you go the research route?

edit: No more separation of the wheat from the chaff, also you're practically purchasing the degree.

I was alluding to my comment about old school longitudinal studies... then again it's a lot more convenient to work on PhD's nowadays, not to take anything away from your hard work or anything. Back in the day, from what my elders in the field tell me lol, you had to contact various libraries around the country and world to see if they had a specific article. They would make a copy and send it out. Usually it was not even beneficial or had other complications etc. Which was a long part of the process. Now we are fortunate to have most of what we need at our fingertips.

If I go back to school, my dissertation will be related to measuring practitioners' emotional stability srs
    My main concern with PsyD programs is that, since their admissions are not limited by research funding, some may have large cohorts, similar to medical schools. As a result, there is a flood of psychologists into the marketplace and there is a predoctoral internship placement problem (too few sites, too many applicants). While their coursework in clinical interventions is significantly more than more research-oriented schools (for instance, in some PsyD programs students take 3 assessment courses and 6 therapy courses while in some PhD courses students may only take 1 assessment course and 1 therapy course), I’m not sure how much this really amounts to. After all, there is research that shows that 1) masters-level clinicians are just as good as doctoral-level therapists and 2) doctoral-level students are just as good as licensed clinical psychologists. So, if you don’t want to do research (since they aren’t applying to PhD programs) and you won’t be a better therapist than a masters-level clinician, why get a PsyD? With that being said, if someone went back to school to get their PsyD for an assessment-related career or to work in some supervisory role, I can better understand that. Another thing: just because many PsyDs do not want to conduct research, that should not exempt them from reading and using research. Research and practice should never be divorced from each other in this field.

And yes, with computers, research is much easier! You can do an entire dissertation without ever holding an actual journal manuscript for visiting a library. Interesting dissertation idea, by the way. So many psychologists/psychology students I know have horrible emotional regulation and/or horrible interpersonal skills. Why, then, choose psychology? Are they trying to fix themselves….?
    -Although I offer advice and information, I am not diagnosing or treating anyone
    with anything.

Originally Posted by lnvictus View Post
    oh sh!t..you still have internship left? I just finished reading a memoir by Darcy Lockman..it's about her doing post doc internship and she made this out to be a horrible experience with her pompous bosses, office politics, and the never-ending penis size comparison between Psychologists and Psychiatrists. Are you ready for such things/encounters?
    There is a predoctoral internship and a postdoctoral internship. I finished the predoc and now I move onto the postdoc. As far as horrible bosses, politics, psychiatry/psychologist feuds, I've already been there. The problems really are on a site-by-site basis.
    with anything.

zuunbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuunbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuunbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuunbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuunbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuunbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuunbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuunbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuunbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuunbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zuunbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    how much r u making rite now?

xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Did you not have a life besides studying and interning in college?

Not trying to sound like a dick was just curious.
    ***MISC CIGAR CREW***

Awkward ab genetics crew

Too many crews to include in signature crew

Poverty Lifts:
    B - 200 (5X5)
    S - 265 (5X5)
    OHP - 125 (5X5)

MattScott93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattScott93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattScott93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattScott93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattScott93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattScott93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattScott93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattScott93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattScott93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattScott93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattScott93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Congrats OP!

Did you always plan on doing a PhD or did you only decide post masters? I'm currently in 3rd year of my degree and planning on going straight into masters but not sure if i want to go further