Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Seeing progress with squats?

I've been working out 6 days a week for 7 weeks now. I'm starting to finally see some results. I workout every muscle group twice a week, yes including legs. However, I just started doing squats. I do them with proper form. I know this because I got help from one of the trainers and some other guys in the gym. Since I'm just starting out I can only do light weight ( 105 lbs 6-8 reps).

I was just wondering how long before I'm able to start lifting a little heavier weights? I leg press 4 plates 10-12 times, but do a LOT less in squats. I know, squats are harder because you use your core to stabilize yourself. Is it normal to lift that much less with squats, does it take some time getting used to or should I be trying to push myself more?

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by RAustin88 View Post
    I've been working out 6 days a week for 7 weeks now. I'm starting to finally see some results. I workout every muscle group twice a week, yes including legs. However, I just started doing squats. I do them with proper form. I know this because I got help from one of the trainers and some other guys in the gym. Since I'm just starting out I can only do light weight ( 105 lbs 6-8 reps).

I was just wondering how long before I'm able to start lifting a little heavier weights? I leg press 4 plates 10-12 times, but do a LOT less in squats. I know, squats are harder because you use your core to stabilize yourself. Is it normal to lift that much less with squats, does it take some time getting used to or should I be trying to push myself more?
    yes its normal that it takes some getting used to

yes its going to be a heck of a lot less than leg press

yes you should be trying to push yourself.

feel good with your form with what you are doing? then put another 5 pounds on the bar. feel good doing that? with good form? then put another 5 pounds on the bar. then put another 5 pounds on the bar. and so on.
    Stern Crew

speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you do realize you are not pressing actual weight on the leg press right?
    anyways start adding weight so you are comfortable doing it with proper form.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by speedjason View Post
    That has nothin' to do with nothin'.
    Hope this helps.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RAustin88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    anyways start adding weight so you are comfortable doing it with proper form.
    Well you ARE pressing ACTUAL weight on a leg press. You are not lifting the entire weight, however. The leg press machine uses pullies which reduces the the force needed. and the angled leg press is on a 45 degree plane so it also reduces the effort needed. BUT you are still lifting actual weight (your not lifting rainbows and magic). You just can't expect the squat and leg press to be the same.

Sorry for pulling out my knowledge of physics on you.

speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well you ARE pressing ACTUAL weight on a leg press. You are not lifting the entire weight, however. The leg press machine uses pullies which reduces the the force needed. and the angled leg press is on a 45 degree plane so it also reduces the effort needed. BUT you are still lifting actual weight (your not lifting rainbows and magic). You just can't expect the squat and leg press to be the same.

Sorry for pulling out my knowledge of physics on you.
    trying to be a smart ass wont make you squat more. just saying.

iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    He's not being a smart ass. He's right. He is in fact pushing weight on the leg press. Although not nearly as beneficial or difficult as squats, the weight is still there.

You won't squat any more giving people stupid information.
    **Thinks he is huge but is not huge crew**

and being an ass just makes you an ass. I came on here for help and tips not to be scrutinized.

Originally Posted by iownaniroc View Post
    He's not being a smart ass. He's right. He is in fact pushing weight on the leg press. Although not nearly as beneficial or difficult as squats, the weight is still there.

You won't squat any more giving people stupid information.
    when did I say he was not pushing weights on the leg press. I think he is confusing the fact he can press 4 plates (each side?) but not even one plate on the squat.

and being an ass just makes you an ass. I came on here for help and tips not to be scrutinized.
    and where was I being an ass? I just simply pointed out a fact you can't convert how much you leg press to squats.

Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50) Floider will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You should be lifting a little heavier weight every workout. Read up on a progressive overload program like starting strength or stronglifts 5x5. You should be increasing your squat weight by 5lbs a workout.

Originally Posted by Floider View Post
    You should be lifting a little heavier weight every workout. Read up on a progressive overload program like starting strength or stronglifts 5x5. You should be increasing your squat weight by 5lbs a workout.
    Well my first time squatting I did only 3 sets of 95 lbs. The second workout I did 2 sets at 95 and one at 115. My last time out I did 3 sets at 115. So I am doing a little more each time out, but I think I may be a little nervous to push myself too hard. Squats are pretty intimidating to the new guys lol.

71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think I may be a little nervous to push myself too hard.
    Do you have a power rack you can use?
    Set the safeties just below parallel and if you fail you don't have far to lower the weight.
    On the road to 1250

Train consistently, move iron with purpose, eat well, sleep well and achieve.

Originally Posted by 71Avido View Post
    Set the safeties just below parallel and if you fail you don't have far to lower the weight.
    Yes, the gym I go to has a pretty big variety of squat racks. I am doing legs on Saturday. I'm gonna start off with just the barbell to warm up my legs then I'm gonna try to put a plate on each side. I don't have any doubts that I'll be able to lift it. I'm just a little nervous about how well I can keep good form.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, I was able to do it. As I thought I was going to be able to. I wanted to start out with Squats but the gym was too busy and I didn't feel like waiting so I started out with leg presses. I did 2 plates on each side for 3 sets of 8-10 reps. Then I did some shoulders before I got to the squats. I started @ 95 lbs for 8 reps, then 115 fr 8 reps. Then the moment of truth. I added a plate to each side and did 2 sets of 4 reps. I probably could have done more, especially if I didn't hit the leg press first. But I felt my form slipping so I didn't want to push it and hurt myself.

Thanks for the help!

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do them with proper form. I know this because I got help from one of the trainers and some other guys in the gym.
    This is almost a sure sign that you are not using proper form. Take a vid and post a form check.

Your leg press will always be 'stronger' than your squat. For example, I can only squat 4 plates for reps, I can leg press as much as I want.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OnAGHvmA7U
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

ALANHB is not very well liked. (-100) ALANHB is not very well liked. (-100) ALANHB is not very well liked. (-100) ALANHB is not very well liked. (-100) ALANHB is not very well liked. (-100) ALANHB is not very well liked. (-100) ALANHB is not very well liked. (-100) ALANHB is not very well liked. (-100) ALANHB is not very well liked. (-100) ALANHB is not very well liked. (-100) ALANHB is not very well liked. (-100)
    I don,t think you should have to try to push your self more

Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    This is almost a sure sign that you are not using proper form. Take a vid and post a form check.

Your leg press will always be 'stronger' than your squat. For example, I can only squat 4 plates for reps[/url], I can leg press as much as I want.....
    How is this a sure sign I am doing them with bad form? The trainers are telling me I am using good form when I am actually using bad form?

I also work out with a partner on most leg days and they tell me I have good form as well.

Back slightly arched, chest out and shoulders back.

I don't need to take videos to make sure I have good form.

Originally Posted by ALANHB View Post
    I don,t think you should have to try to push your self more
    I'm not going to push myself more. As long as I'm doing even just a little bit more each week I'm happy. I'm in no rush and don't need to hurt myself.

Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What SpeedJason is likely referring to is that although you leg press 400 lbs, you are NOT transferring 400 lbs of force through your legs. Force vectors, angle of sled, etc.

Besides squatting is a different lift entirely.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I was just wondering how long before I'm able to start lifting a little heavier weights?
    How should we know? This is completely dependent upon how you are programming your squats. If you were doing things right, you should know what you should be squatting any given period of time in the near future.

Originally Posted by Concat View Post
    What SpeedJason is likely referring to is that although you leg press 400 lbs, you are NOT transferring 400 lbs of force through your legs. Force vectors, angle of sled, etc.

Besides squatting is a different lift entirely.
    I understand that. If you read my response to him I said exactly what you said. His original comment just didn't sound like he was saying that. I've given up on the leg press as my main leg exercise and only do it to pre-exhaust my legs prior to squats or to add a little more after squats.

Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    How should we know? This is completely dependent upon how you are programming your squats. If you were doing things right, you should know what you should be squatting any given period of time in the near future.
    I didn't really mean how long will it take until I am able to squat 400lbs. What I meant was, how long will it take to get used to the exercise, form, balance etc, to where I can start increasing the weight I am lifting. I'm sure it's pretty usual for guys to need to get used to squatting. You use a hell of a lot more muscles than the leg press. But I've become more comfortable with them so I am going to start adding weight each time out.

Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    What he means by the above is that most people don't know how to squat with proper form. Including trainers.

And you should be working on your form, balance, etc every time you lift, and increasing the weight every time you lift. It sounds like you're already doing that, so I'm not sure what you're asking for. We don't know your goals, and even if we did, we don't know how long it'll take you to reach them.

If anyone is still interested...

I did 1 set of 95 for 8 reps, 2 sets of 135 for 6 reps and then 155 for 3 reps then lowered back down to 135 for 3 reps. At least I'm seeing some progress. I've been adding weight each time only if I'm able to do my previous high for at least 6 reps. I'm not interested in trying to find out my 1RM just yet, I definitely want to get a bit stronger and a bit more comfortable before I attempt that.

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I leg press 4 plates for 10-12 reps also. My squat work sets are over 250lbs. Hope this helps.

Your squat should be going up 5 lbs per week.

71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kanis999 View Post
    260 lbs/year
    Seems reasonable...
    On the road to 1250

Train consistently, move iron with purpose, eat well, sleep well and achieve.

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    260 lbs/year
    Seems reasonable...
    I said that because hes using noob weights, naysayer

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Where did you get this from?

Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    Where did you get this from?
    From my own experience. When i was using weights under 200 lbs, working hard, and eating right, i added 5 lbs to my work sets every week. Im still adding 5 lbs every other week.

Im pretty sure 5 lb per week is what rippetoe recommends as well.

From my own experience. When i was using weights under 200 lbs, working hard, and eating right, i added 5 lbs to my work sets every week. Im still adding 5 lbs every other week.

Im pretty sure 5 lb per week is what rippetoe recommends as well.
    His programming is you add weight every workout (not necessarily 5lbs though that's the most common case) until you cannot do that anymore. Then you add weight weekly.

Anyone starting out should be using high frequency (2-3x a week) to establish motor patterns and if you can add weight each workout, you might as well.