rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Need opinions - $2,000 to spend, need power rack, bench, bar and iron

Hey guys,

In one month, I'll be moving in to a house that has a 2 car garage. Money is TIGHT with everything, but I do have about $2,000 set aside.

Craigslist in South Carolina sucks. I literally check 2 - 3 times a day, every day (I've been looking for about a year). Nothing but cheap products. Weider type stuff..etc. So, I know the first step is to keep checking Craigslist.

However, I've been waiting a very long time to get my garage, so if I can buy new, I don't mind (I can check Craigslist for future equipment).

I REALLY like the Rogue R-4 rack ($960), Rogue flat bench ($185), and Rogue bar ($265). All that plus shipping is $1,600. Leaving me $400 for weights.

So, my question, is there better Racks you would recommend, flat benchs and bars that cost LESS than the Rogue stuff? The thing I like about the Roge R-4 is the depth is 43 inches (I like the extra room).

Thanks friends, Ryan

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    No insult to you OP but $2000 isn't a tight budget. There is a whole world of stuff out thee for less though it might not be as cool as the rogue stuff it would work just as well. Frankly what you have picked out is dream type equipment not budget gym equipment. If there is other stuff you want to have you could probably buy a rack bench and weights for half that price and have cash left over for additional equipment.

My biggest objection to all Rogue power racks is that they require bolting down forcing you to add a platform or never be able to re-arrange your gym. In general though I'm not a rogue guy since they are major crossfit enablers and I hate seeing innocents pulled into dangerous cults.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You could look at the Sorinex Dark Horse (http://store.sorinex.com/Dark-Horse-Rack-p/p01385.htm) or the Promaxima FW-163 (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=151813633). I'm unclear on the distance between the uprights with either of those, though. I think the Dark Horse is less, but the Promaxima looks substantial. I doubt you can go wrong with the Rogue, though.

I'd recommend getting a bench with at least incline, though some people don't feel it's necessary. The Pendlay Elite 0-90 (http://www.pendlay.com/Pendlay-Elite...nch_p_992.html) seems to be a great bang for the buck bench as long as the few angles it has are the ones you want and you don't need decline.

If you want a cheaper bar, people seem to like the Cap OB-86B (http://www.wayfair.com/Cap-Barbell-S...FStyQgodfRcALQ). If you get an R-4, though, you can get a Rogue beater bar for $135, it looks like. I haven't heard anything either way about their beater bar, though.

I've used none of these. I'm just going by what other people have said.

rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the input Tim. Yeah, I'm not a Crossfitter, but I liked their S-2 squat stand and bar that I've used before. My problem is, I have very limited exposure to other brands besides what I read others talk about or just see online.

I could go as high as 2K, but would much rather be closer to $1200 - $1500

Thanks Maluket, funny you pointed out the Promaxima FW-163. I actually emailed them this morning for a price quote on that one. They don't list prices on their website, so I'm waiting to see what that is with shipping.

I've read good things about the Dark Horse also, will check that out. I like that bench, I've used a York FID that Christian's Fitness Factory sales $350 shipped, so this Pendlay is one I will definitely check out.

Same for the CAP bar, highly considering that one as well.

Thanks for the input guys, hope to get some more recommendations. This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get. Keep the ideas coming!!!

Ryan

scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You are really close to some quality equipment makers depending on where you are in south carolina. Before I made a choice to go new, sight unseen like some have had to do, I'd take a drive and go do some eyeballing of the equipment.

Before I looked at new though have you considered:
    http://columbia.craigslist.org/spo/3763829759.html

Bet you could talk him down.

$250 power rack

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/spo/3733289581.html

$500 power rack
    http://charlotte.craigslist.org/spo/3672864058.html

As far as new goes,
    Legend I know will make a deal for pickup and save a ton on shipping, as I assume the others would too.

Sorinex Exercise Equipment
    7575 St. Andrews Road
    Irmo, South Carolina 29063
    (I love my darkhorse btw)

Legend Fitness
    5901 Middlebrook Pike
    Knoxville, TN 37909

Dynabody Fitness Gym & Equipment Store
    Phone: 865-379-9898
    2706 East Broadway
    Maryville, Tennessee 37804

Williams strength in west columbia, sc makes

"Force Weight Equipment
    Our very sturdy, low-cost alternative line

When the budget is tight, but you don’t want to settle for cheap, nonfunctional equipment that will have to be replaced in a few years, Force Weight Equipment is perfect. The Force line offers a full power rack with weight racks for $849, a 6′x8′ rubber platform for just $399, and safety spotters that are guaranteed for life not to bend. Custom frame and pad colors are available at no additional charge, and racks can be outfitted with school logos on the back top brace for a special look. Check out all the great deals by Force Weight Equipment."

Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by rvfraley View Post
    Hey guys,

In one month, I'll be moving in to a house that has a 2 car garage. Money is TIGHT with everything, but I do have about $2,000 set aside.

Craigslist in South Carolina sucks. I literally check 2 - 3 times a day, every day (I've been looking for about a year). Nothing but cheap products. Weider type stuff..etc. So, I know the first step is to keep checking Craigslist.

However, I've been waiting a very long time to get my garage, so if I can buy new, I don't mind (I can check Craigslist for future equipment).

I REALLY like the Rogue R-4 rack ($960), Rogue flat bench ($185), and Rogue bar ($265). All that plus shipping is $1,600. Leaving me $400 for weights.

So, my question, is there better Racks you would recommend, flat benchs and bars that cost LESS than the Rogue stuff? The thing I like about the Roge R-4 is the depth is 43 inches (I like the extra room).

Thanks friends, Ryan
    I have the Sorinex Dark Horse rack and the Rogue bar, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend those to you.

I have a HOIST FID bench that I bought brand new and probably wouldn't get again if I had the choice.

817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    look in to william strength i believe they are out of south carolina

http://www.flexcart.com/members/fatb...ult.asp?cid=85
    It surprises me how many people refuse to buy equipment from Elitefts because its too expensive but they will buy equipment from their competitors, then continue to go on EFS website to educate themselves for FREE

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Maluket View Post
    You could look at the Sorinex Dark Horse (http://store.sorinex.com/Dark-Horse-Rack-p/p01385.htm) or the Promaxima FW-163 (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=151813633). I'm unclear on the distance between the uprights with either of those, though. I think the Dark Horse is less, but the Promaxima looks substantial. I doubt you can go wrong with the Rogue, though.

I'd recommend getting a bench with at least incline, though some people don't feel it's necessary. The Pendlay Elite 0-90 (http://www.pendlay.com/Pendlay-Elite...nch_p_992.html) seems to be a great bang for the buck bench as long as the few angles it has are the ones you want and you don't need decline.

If you want a cheaper bar, people seem to like the Cap OB-86B (http://www.wayfair.com/Cap-Barbell-S...FStyQgodfRcALQ). If you get an R-4, though, you can get a Rogue beater bar for $135, it looks like. I haven't heard anything either way about their beater bar, though.

I've used none of these. I'm just going by what other people have said.
    This is pretty much exactly the recomendations I was about to post. All of these are best bang for your buck items. I've had a Rogue rack and now have a Dark Horse. The rogue was very nice, just didn't meet my needs. You won't be disappointed with either. No experience with the Promaxima but if I was shopping for a rack it would be on my "check it out carefully" list. The dark horse upright spacing is 30". That is more than enough. I sometimes wonder if the R4/6 is 43" just so they can use rear cross member parts on the sides.

My last 3 benches were the Rogue flat bench, Pendlay Elite 0-90, and the Sorinex NP. Hands down the Pendlay is the dollar for dollar winner. The rogue was nice... I liked everything about it but it is only welded on 2 sides of the 4 sided stock which eventually drove me bananas (it's just not right. Finish the damn job). The Pendlay is a beast, is 17" high and built like a tank. I've seen nothing like it at $300. The Sorinex NP is similar and nicer, but it's twice the price. If I hadto spend $600 on a bench, I'd buy 2 Pendlays and admire one while I lifted on the other.

OB86B is the best value I've seen in a bar. I bought one of these for $142 delivered and was determined to find its weakness. If it has one its beyond my pay scale. That bar is great.

Next would be a Capps TPB. It's the "old pick up truck" of bars that you can't kill. Pinned ends, strong, may or may not be coated well, knurled like buzz saw. Not for the faint of heart. Good deal at about $300.

If you can get in the +$300 range I'd go with a York B&R, York 32004, (a Pendlay HD could fall in here too if you are a oly only lifter) The Yorks are pretty much the same bar with a few differences. The B&R can have some tolerance issues but from what I've been told they have been resolved. If this is true (I haven't seen a new one in a year or so) this is the best $300 commercially available bar out there that I've seen. Perhaps by a long shot. The 32004 is its twin brother but is satined chromed. I'm not sure what it retails for in the US but assuming it under $400 is a great bar for the price
    Last edited by GarageIron; 04-28-2013 at 09:15 PM.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There's a promaxima power rack in virgina that you could pick up for 400
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROMAXIMA-HE...-/350757929817

btw, i see stuff in your cl and a couple of surrounding states all the time (don't ask me why i look there). it's a sorinex and york hotbed, among other things.

Thanks everyone. Love the passion you guys have in equipment. I have the same passion, less the same knowledge :-). Did not realize their was that place in Columbia, that's not too far from me and will check them out.

BigRees will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRees will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRees will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRees will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRees will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRees will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRees will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRees will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRees will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRees will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRees will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That'd be a sick setup brah. With that $400 left over, you could search for really rugged, 'penitentiary style' weights that cost next to nothing.
    This is exactly what I did, spent a bit on a quality rack, bench, bars and searched for old well used plates. Looks real mean, just like in the Universal Animal promotions/videos.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    OFFICIAL BODYBUILDING.COM PLATINUM ACCOUNT
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks everyone. Love the passion you guys have in equipment. I have the same passion, less the same knowledge :-). Did not realize their was that place in Columbia, that's not too far from me and will check them out.
    Get ahold of Williams by phone and ask them if they have any blems, or returns. I know they do occasionally as I almost bought one one time.
    ▪█───────█▪

Ivanko Barbell Crew Member #6

My Gear:

Lamar Rack w/lat & row setup
    Ironmasters DB's with add on package
    1000 lbs of Ivanko OM Plates
    Ironmaster Super Bench
    Parabody Roman Chair
    Precor 546 Elliptical
    Concept II rower Model D w/PM4

▪█───────█▪

I've had bi-lateral hip replacement.
    Ask me anything about it.

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    http://ifindlocal.net/search/sorinex...-sc-190345423/

I have never been there, but I think the Sorinex showroom/store/gym is at a different location not far from their business/factory.

http://www.raecrowther.com/racksnew.shtml

Rae Crowther is located in Rock Hill, SC.

The Dynabody used store has several power racks in stock as I was there last week. Dynabody racks are well built 3 x 3 11ga.
    Last edited by deadwoodgregg; 04-29-2013 at 05:13 AM.
    []---[] Equipment crew member #51 []---[]

champ2685 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) champ2685 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) champ2685 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) champ2685 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) champ2685 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) champ2685 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) champ2685 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) champ2685 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) champ2685 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) champ2685 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) champ2685 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Walmart has a good punching bag for like $100