Swtbttrfly23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swtbttrfly23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swtbttrfly23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swtbttrfly23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swtbttrfly23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swtbttrfly23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swtbttrfly23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swtbttrfly23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swtbttrfly23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swtbttrfly23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swtbttrfly23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to start lifting?

I'm a chick and I really want to get into lifting, and lifting heavy, but I'm intimidated by the idea of wandering around the weight room to figure things out. I know some decent basics about form and equipment, but I'm pretty clueless about developing a routine of what I should do regularly. There's usually a good amount of dudes in there (some actually working out, some not doing much) but I'm just nervous about it. What's the best way to start up until I build some confidence?

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I remember being terrified of the weight room. If it is not an option for you to hire a trainer for a few sessions to break you in to 'that end of the gym', then go at a quiet time when there are not a lot of people. Confidence in your lifting will help get you over your fear of the weight room. You need to be solid on squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press. If you are unfamiliar with all of these lifts, I'd say take one of them at a time and learn it. There are videos and tutorials online and I would study those. Repetition will make it easier. Just suck it up and go do your 3 x per week and eventually it won't freak you out anymore.

I am quite at home in the squat rack now, but I do remember getting heart palpitations just driving into the parking lot of the gym...
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you can get a personal trainer for a few sessions, that would probably the best. I've started at the gym that has also provided a coaching, so I've never had a problem going in to the free weight section and do my thing. Good luck!

Wannabebuff81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know the feeling. I went in yesterday with a PT and felt exactly the same. I want to get the technique 100% correct before I'm left alone. It's all rather overwhelming

mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by o0o0 View Post
    If you can get a personal trainer for a few sessions, that would probably the best. I've started at the gym that has also provided a coaching, so I've never had a problem going in to the free weight section and do my thing. Good luck!
    Yep. I bit the bullet and paid for three sessions - lessons on bench, deadlift, and squat. Completely worth it.
    I'm only human...except in the gym.

Performax Labs Athlete alison2008's Avatar
    alison2008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alison2008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alison2008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alison2008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alison2008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alison2008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alison2008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alison2008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alison2008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alison2008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alison2008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I was the same way when I started lifting and getting in to fitness. Here's some things you might want to try to get comfortable:

Have a weekly workout routine that is written down/ printed off. Keep this with you or on your phone so you can access it easily when you're at the gym.
    Separate each day (M-F) into training specific muscle groups.
    Download bodybuilding.com app. This is a GREAT way to reference specific workouts. Awesome app. Shows pics and videos of workouts.

Here's an idea of what your weekly workout may look like:
    Monday- Chest & Triceps & cardio
    Tuesday - Legs: Quads & glutes & cardio
    Wednesday - Biceps & Back & cardio
    Thursday - Off day. Cardio only
    Friday - Shoulders & Calves and cardio
    Sat - Off Day.
    Sunday - Off day. Can add cardio if you want or a High Intensity Interval training.

Go to the bodybuilding.com app --> 'Exercises' and select 3-4 workouts for each muscle group. Write these down under each day.

Usually the gym is busier in the evenings. So, try going at a different/ less busy time so you can get comfortable with the equipment and where everything is located.

Hope that helps! Put headphones in and just go!! Good luck!

Originally Posted by Swtbttrfly23 View Post
    I'm a chick and I really want to get into lifting, and lifting heavy, but I'm intimidated by the idea of wandering around the weight room to figure things out. I know some decent basics about form and equipment, but I'm pretty clueless about developing a routine of what I should do regularly. There's usually a good amount of dudes in there (some actually working out, some not doing much) but I'm just nervous about it. What's the best way to start up until I build some confidence?
    National Qualified Bikini Competitor
    Performax Labs Athlete
    Team Smart Shake

EGdance22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EGdance22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EGdance22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EGdance22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EGdance22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EGdance22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EGdance22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EGdance22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EGdance22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EGdance22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EGdance22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    When I first started, I followed the Jamie Eason LiveFit program on here. Its free & tells you what workouts to do & demonstrations. The hardest part for me was wandering around trying to figure out where the equipment was. Im sure I looked stupid but I didn't care. Nobody pays attention really! But the LiveFit program on here definitely will help get you started!

tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I did this.......... See if your gym has this or not. My gym has Group Power weight lifting classes and I signed up for them. For me it was a good investment. Learned good form and I am building serious muscles. I also did on this site Lee Labrada's 12 week program and I liked it. Good luck in this.