Thread: Mir vest

ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Mir vest

I'm wanting a new vest. I have a 40 lb Altus right now. I use it for walking mostly because it isn't enough for squats.

I'm looking at the 140lb vest and damn is it expensive.

Need advice on how great it is and so on.

Anyone own one?
    What style?
    How is it on the shoulders?
    How much weight do you use in it normally?

I can squat 225 easy right now. I usually go up to 285 but don't have the balls to do more unassisted. Squat rack at gym sucks.

Help before I spend $300+

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Hold on, are you looking for a vest? Or a squat replacement?

If the latter, have you considered doing trap bar deadlifts instead? If you do them on a slightly raised platform, they're a lot like doing squats.

One of the problems I see with using a 140lb vest is that it'll be hard to put it on.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10) ComputerHabit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Hold on, are you looking for a vest? Or a squat replacement?

If the latter, have you considered doing trap bar deadlifts instead? If you do them on a slightly raised platform, they're a lot like doing squats.

One of the problems I see with using a 140lb vest is that it'll be hard to put it on.
    Need it more for my walks. I have some hills and such so my 40 does well but I don't feel the burn anymore. I use that bar at the gym all the time!

Also you don't put the vest on fully loaded. You attach after it's on.

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ComputerHabit View Post
    Need it more for my walks. I have some hills and such so my 40 does well but I don't feel the burn anymore. I use that bar at the gym all the time!

Also you don't put the vest on fully loaded. You attach after it's on.
    Sorinex Load Trainer might work for you.

Quoting myself:
    Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post

What do you think of Sorinex Load Trainer? Is it worth buying? I already have a 20lbs weighted vest. However, Sorinex Load Trainer allows more weight and there is easy adjustability aspect to it. To use the Load Trainer, A.L.I.C.E. Pack Frame is needed. I don't know how weight distribution feels, especially when it's on in a position for doing inverted rows. I am thinking about using it in conjunction with my Backbull.

Sorinex is selling the Load Trainer for $64.95 and A.L.I.C.E. for $19.99. Total is $84.94. Shipping is free through December. So, few days left for getting free shipping.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find full pictures of it. These ones I downloaded from their product page:
    https://store.sorinex.com/Sorinex-Lo...r-p/sor-lt.htm

Sorinex Load Trainer

A.L.I.C.E. Pack Frame

Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post
    Sorinex Load Trainer might work for you.

Quoting myself:
    Brings me back to my days in the Army. Problem with this is it's more of a backpack so doesn't distribute the load.

I will be doing compound exercises as well with this.

Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have a 120lb MIR vest. The quality seems pretty high, but as KBKB guessed, it's frickin' hard to get on (and off)! Doable, though. I personally lay it down on a bed, shove my head in the hole, and lift half of it back over my head onto my back, sliding it into place by standing.

I actually did use it as a squat replacement by doing pistol squats with it, or at least pistol "only bending my knees to maybe ninety degrees because my knees were in bad shape". Whatever you want to call it, it was the hardest exercising I've ever done (can't breathe and quads burning), and not very effective despite that difficulty. But as long as you're not using it for squats, I don't have to warn you off.

OK, I haven't used it for several years, so I just went and put it on and I'm wearing it now so that I can answer questions.

It's a Pro.

It's not very comfortable on the shoulders. It seems like it needs more padding. That I'm wearing it on skin surely isn't helping. I have the feeling that if I took a walk around the block, I'd end up with bruises. It also makes it slightly difficult to breathe. The weight of it pushes down on my chest and feels uncomfortable for that reason. It also seems to kind of jab my ribs a little. I have to believe there's a more comfortable vest out there, but it's probably pretty hard to wear 120 pounds comfortably.

I used 90 or 120 pounds in it back when I used it. It's actually two vests, a 90 and a 30, and the 30 Velcros over the 90 for the total.

OK, I'm taking this damn thing off now.

My traps and shoulders ache, and I probably only wore it five minutes. No bruising, just discomfort.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Brings me back to my days in the Army. Problem with this is it's more of a backpack so doesn't distribute the load.
    Properly adjusted, the Sorinex gizmo should place much of the load on your hips, just like an good backpack does.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Originally Posted by Maluket View Post
    I have a 120lb MIR vest. The quality seems pretty high, but as KBKB guessed, it's frickin' hard to get on (and off)! Doable, though. I personally lay it down on a bed, shove my head in the hole, and lift half of it back over my head onto my back, sliding it into place by standing.

I actually did use it as a squat replacement by doing pistol squats with it, or at least pistol "only bending my knees to maybe ninety degrees because my knees were in bad shape". Whatever you want to call it, it was the hardest exercising I've ever done (can't breathe and quads burning), and not very effective despite that difficulty. But as long as you're not using it for squats, I don't have to warn you off.

OK, I haven't used it for several years, so I just went and put it on and I'm wearing it now so that I can answer questions.

It's a Pro.

It's not very comfortable on the shoulders. It seems like it needs more padding. That I'm wearing it on skin surely isn't helping. I have the feeling that if I took a walk around the block, I'd end up with bruises. It also makes it slightly difficult to breathe. The weight of it pushes down on my chest and feels uncomfortable for that reason. It also seems to kind of jab my ribs a little. I have to believe there's a more comfortable vest out there, but it's probably pretty hard to wear 120 pounds comfortably.

I used 90 or 120 pounds in it back when I used it. It's actually two vests, a 90 and a 30, and the 30 Velcros over the 90 for the total.

OK, I'm taking this damn thing off now.

My traps and shoulders ache, and I probably only wore it five minutes. No bruising, just discomfort.
    thanks for that...

so I was hoping that these vests wouldn't make it hard to breath... I'm thinking of just getting the 90lbs and just work until 140 seems like a good idea.

Does the weight sit on your traps or bone?

My current vest kind of sits past the bone on my shoulders and on my traps. I was hoping to alleviate some of that although kind of hard to do with 140 lbs.

Starting to like the Alice Pack idea.

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Properly adjusted, the Sorinex gizmo should place much of the load on your hips, just like an good backpack does.
    I do like that idea.

Alice pack is easy to get

I could probably find some used 45lb weights on craigs list.

Originally Posted by Maluket View Post
    I used 90 or 120 pounds in it back when I used it. .
    So are you saying you want to sell it?

So are you saying you want to sell it?
    Oh snap... the alice pack might win...

New meaning to the words "Free Weights"

http://austin.craigslist.org/spo/3764776325.html

So hoping this guy hasn't given it all out yet.