riverare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Shin splints still there after months of rest.

Hi! I've been training for the military for months. I started running and I was able to run about 2.5 miles without having to stop. Then the pain started. I couldn't run more than a quarter mile before having to stop. I read that shin splints require rest, so that's what I did. I rested (2 months) and put ice on it almost every day. I recently bought new running shoes (asics) with insoles for my flat feet also in case that was the problem. I tried running for the first time and I was able to run about 3 quarters of a mile and I had to stop because of the pain. Is this a sign that it is healing, or that I have a more serious problem? I heard that shin wraps (sleeves) reduce the pain, but they're $50 for the pair and being a high school student, that's not really an amount I can waste. Is this true?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm really worried and frankly annoyed by it already. Can someone help me out?

MrJB00G13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrJB00G13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrJB00G13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrJB00G13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrJB00G13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrJB00G13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrJB00G13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrJB00G13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrJB00G13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrJB00G13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrJB00G13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by riverare View Post
    Hi! I've been training for the military for months. I started running and I was able to run about 2.5 miles without having to stop. Then the pain started. I couldn't run more than a quarter mile before having to stop. I read that shin splints require rest, so that's what I did. I rested (2 months) and put ice on it almost every day. I recently bought new running shoes (asics) with insoles for my flat feet also in case that was the problem. I tried running for the first time and I was able to run about 3 quarters of a mile and I had to stop because of the pain. Is this a sign that it is healing, or that I have a more serious problem? I heard that shin wraps (sleeves) reduce the pain, but they're $50 for the pair and being a high school student, that's not really an amount I can waste. Is this true?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm really worried and frankly annoyed by it already. Can someone help me out?
    Try going to a nearby Running specialty shop. Make sure that you even have the right pair of running shoes because that can easily cause issues with shin splints. What these specialty shops will do is have you run on their treadmill and they'll monitor the way you run and watch how you land (whether you land on your heel, toes, or land flat footed). It might be a good option to look into before going to a doctor for it.

I used to get shin splints all the time while running. I tried out many types of running shoes and it unfortunately took me having to get an expensive pair of running shoes (Brooks to be exact) before I was able to run with no issues. I still wish I went to a Running specialty store to get a more professional/experienced look at my issue though.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by MrJB00G13; 04-23-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: update comment
    “We but mirror the world. All the tendencies present in the outer world are to be found in the world of our body. If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness. We need not wait to see what others do.” - Mahatma Gandhi

Instagram: J_B00G13 (00=zerozero)
    Kik: MrJBoogie

Originally Posted by MrJB00G13 View Post
    Try going to a nearby Running specialty shop. Make sure that you even have the right pair of running shoes because that can easily cause issues with shin splints. What these specialty shops will do is have you run on their treadmill and they'll monitor the way you run and watch how you land (whether you land on your heel, toes, or land flat footed). It might be a good option to look into before going to a doctor for it.

I used to get shin splints all the time while running. I tried out many types of running shoes and it unfortunately took me having to get an expensive pair of running shoes (Brooks to be exact) before I was able to run with no issues. I still wish I went to a Running specialty store to get a more professional/experienced look at my issue though.

Hope that helps!
    Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Hopefully they can help me. Thanks!

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you certain its just shin splits and not a more serious stress fracture?

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Have you seen this recent thread. I cannot vouch for it - I just remembered it was here.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=153453081

GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You may have rested, but you haven't addressed the cause.

FitFromIn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FitFromIn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FitFromIn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FitFromIn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FitFromIn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FitFromIn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sounds like you have compartment syndrome.

pennsylvania is on a distinguished road. (+10) pennsylvania is on a distinguished road. (+10) pennsylvania is on a distinguished road. (+10) pennsylvania is on a distinguished road. (+10) pennsylvania is on a distinguished road. (+10) pennsylvania is on a distinguished road. (+10) pennsylvania is on a distinguished road. (+10) pennsylvania is on a distinguished road. (+10) pennsylvania is on a distinguished road. (+10) pennsylvania is on a distinguished road. (+10) pennsylvania is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Have you worked on strengthening your tibialis anterior muscle?

konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Focus on strengthening your tibialis anterior. Lacrosse ball your calf muscles, and your shin a foam roller may also work. Also grab a lax/golf ball and just roll over it with your foot. Get new shoes. The thing that worked best for me was getting accupuncture on it. Ended up not getting it for about 6-8 months..

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I actually do think it might be compartment syndrome, but I'll try what you guys suggested. I bought some gel insoles to go on top of the ones I bought and I'm going to try them tomorrow. I'll report back if they worked.

JakeRichards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeRichards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeRichards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeRichards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeRichards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeRichards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeRichards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeRichards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeRichards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeRichards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeRichards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had shin splints for years and I still get them a bit, they never go away. Things that helped for me was going to a running shop where they analyse your gait and sell you appropriate trainers, icing after running. and using oil to massage the area in the evening. I also tried stretching and strengthening the muscles in every way you can imagine, along with seeing podiatrists and physios who gave ultra sound treatment, these achieved nothing though.

Where is the pain is it on the inside or outside of your shin?

In the end I decided to run through mine and they eventually got a lot better. I still feel them today (though I run basically every day) but they are a lot better. I know there is a risk of stress fractures if you run through it, but it worked for me.

jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I had shin splints in hs and it was very uncomfortable. Somehow a football coach noticed and had me ice my calves down for ten minutes. I stuck them in a bucket and walked away feeling refreshed. Sounds like you might have a more severe case, but couldn't hurt to try.

sgtmom1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgtmom1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgtmom1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgtmom1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgtmom1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgtmom1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgtmom1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgtmom1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgtmom1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgtmom1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgtmom1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That does sound very much like compartment syndrome. You will need to go to the Physical therapist, probably by referral from your primary doc- Bottom line take care of yourself. The military will wait. MY husband had both of his legs done and I just had both of my legs done after being out of the military for just under ten years. IT took them 5 years to figure out it was not my back or my technique. But it has been well worth it and the doc here has told me go to therapy as long as needed until I feel good with the situation.

Non-treatment and late identification of compartment syndrome can be limb threatening. My husband is still in the process now over a year trying to get the surgery he needs for the second time. Be warned if they release a couple compartments others may flare and they will have to go in again to release those. They released two compartments now some very deep compartments are acting up They will go in clean up scar tissue and release other compartments. I had release done on three compartments, but also realize that 30% of these have to be repeated more than once sometimes. Just be forewarned it is not an easy road, but well worth it to function properly. Just so you know this condition is hereditary, so our kids got the jackpot spin on the wheel of fortune again.

Do not ruin your body just to join the military or for anything else, take care it, respect it. They are only one to a customer.
    How I choose to be happy with my husband (ColonelDad), kids, health, our businesses, our Farm, resources for self-directed Education. Learn, Live & love your life and choose to be happy.