dyingtolive257 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question 5 seconds down, 5 seconds up?

Hello, im new to all this, about 3 months at the gym, and i was just cruising the web one day and found some guy who said he goes 5 seconds down on each rep and 5 seconds up, to eliminate momentum and ensure constant load. Is this a good idea and does it work well? Ive tried it the past few days and i can really feel it, which is a good thing. What do you think? Sorry if im in the wrong section, like i said i just started this and literally joined seconds ago.

EDIT: Btw, since i cant post the article link yet here is exactly what the guy said:

"Here are the six basic principles that made it happen:

1. Follow Arthur Jones’ general recommendations for one-set-to-failure from the little-known Colorado Experiment, but with lower frequency (maximum of twice per week) and with at least 3 minutes between exercises.

2. Perform every repetition with a 5/5 cadence (5 seconds up, 5 seconds down) to eliminate momentum and ensure constant load.

3. Focus on no more than 4-7 multi-joint exercises (leg press, trap bar deadlift, overhead press, Yates bent row, dips, incline machine benchpress, etc.) and exercise your entire body each workout to elicit a maximal hormonal (testosterone, growth hormone + IGF-1) response.

4. Eat enormous quantities of protein (much like my current fat-loss diet) with low-glycemic index carbohydrates like quinoa, but drop calories by 50% one day per week to prevent protein uptake downregulation.

5. Exercise less frequently as you increase strength and size, as your recovery abilities can only increase 20-30%, while you can often increase fat-free muscle tissue up to 100% before reaching a genetic set-point.

6. Record every workout in detail, including date, time of day, order of exercises, reps, and weight. Remember that this is an experiment, and you need to control the variables to accurately assess progress and make adjustments.."
    Last edited by dyingtolive257; 04-22-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dyingtolive257 View Post
    Hello, im new to all this, about 3 months at the gym, and i was just cruising the web one day and found some guy who said he goes 5 seconds down on each rep and 5 seconds up, to eliminate momentum and ensure constant load. Is this a good idea and does it work well? Ive tried it the past few days and i can really feel it, which is a good thing. What do you think? Sorry if im in the wrong section, like i said i just started this and literally joined seconds ago.
    5 seconds down is awesome. but 5 seconds up is a waste since the majority of fiber damage is done on the negative portion. might as well just do 10 seconds down (lord have mercy) if you want that kind of TUT.

Plus the positive portion (the actual press or pull of an excersise) should be explosive while the negative should be controlled in order to keep stability, as well as generate force into your push/pull (it's like pushing down on a spring)
    Last edited by Labado21; 04-22-2013 at 08:33 PM.