Registered User whatathymeitwas's Avatar
    whatathymeitwas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking For Some Informed Advice On Beginner Programs

Hi ya'll! I know a lot of people post asking for advice about programs and the like, so forgive me ahead of time if this is repetitive. =] If anyone has a moment to throw me some advice, I'd be very grateful.

Some background:
    I'm relatively new to all of this. In the past I've been very on and off about exercise, but I'm ready now to buckle down and start training instead of just "working out". I've been doing a lot of research on the forums, reading the stickies, and reading NROLFW. I'm working on constructing a nutrition plan and getting my eating in order. Over the past few weeks I've been straightening up my food intake and doing cardio and weight machines, and it's not giving me the satisfaction that I know free weights would. I'm 25 years old, 5'1", 155 lbs. I'm probably in the mid-30's for body fat percentage, maybe higher or lower. I don't necessarily have a specified body goal, by that I mean I don't want to look like a celebrity or only lose fat in my stomach or thighs or whatever. What I would like is to get in good shape, build plenty of muscle, move plenty of weight when I work out, and lose body fat healthily to get to a weight appropriate for my frame. I figure I can focus in on problem areas when I get there. My main goal at the moment is to get everything straight in my nutrition, start a solid weight program, and throw in some cardio.

My questions:
    My first question is, I suppose, the same one everyone else asks. What program would you all recommend? I've read around and it looks like some of the basic beginner training programs here are great, such as the 5x5, NROWL/FW, 5/3/1, GST, Starting Strength, etc. I've noticed that they're all very similar, and that tells me that it's time-tested and works. That leads me to my second question. I "belong" to a gym that discourages squats and doesn't have a squat rack, and they prohibit deadlifting and frown on bodybuilding (if you're wondering why I "belong" to that gym, it's because it's very cheap and when I joined I was just starting the path of getting in shape and was doing very basic exercises). I'm wondering if I should find a new gym that would better facilitate and support this, or if I should just find other exercises to supplement? I also feel like that's a bit of a stupid question, but I'd like some input. My boyfriend bodybuilds and he thinks I can find a program without squats and deadlifts, but it's hard to decide because that goes against everything I'm reading--- i.e., I'm selling myself short if I don't squat/deadlift.

Thanks for any input! I'm looking very forward to starting something new and also hopefully being involved in the great forums we have here.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I personally started with a 5x5 program that focused on squats, deadlifts, bench, overhead press, chin ups/lat pulldowns, and bent over or seated row.
    My workouts were broken into an A B A format. Workout A was squat, chin, bench, workout B was deadlift, row, press. I lifted 3 days per week. I think this was an excellent routine for me.

I absolutely believe you are selling yourself short without squat/deadlift. 100%. No, make that 110%. These are the absolute best lifts for strength/muscle.

You can find good routines that don't include them, but I wouldn't even bother with them myself. However, if you absolutely cannot find another gym, do the best you can with what you have - leg press, hack squat, dumbbell deadlifts, etc.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Registered User whatathymeitwas's Avatar
    whatathymeitwas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for your reply! Yeah... I kind of figured I'd need to find another place to go that's more gym and less "fitness center". I dislike where I go now on principle, but like I said, it was cheap with no contract and served my needs up until now. There's not even a hack squat machine or anything. =/ I always want to rage on them so bad, but it's not worth the time to do so, lol. I'd also like to be able to go somewhere where I can get the assistance I need in learning form for squats and deadlifts without someone revoking my membership for even asking.

I'll definitely do some more research into the 5x5 programs. =]

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by whatathymeitwas View Post
    I "belong" to a gym that discourages squats and doesn't have a squat rack, and they prohibit deadlifting and frown on bodybuilding (if you're wondering why I "belong" to that gym, it's because it's very cheap and when I joined I was just starting the path of getting in shape and was doing very basic exercises). I'm wondering if I should find a new gym that would better facilitate and support this, or if I should just find other exercises to supplement?
    Never heard of a gym that frowns on bodybuilding. Strange....

I wouldn't skip squats and deadlifts. These are fundamental compound exercises. If your gym has dumbbells that go heavy enough, you can substitute barbell squats/deadlift with dumbbell squats/deadlifts, especially since you are a beginner.

Here is a proven beginner program that offers a good variety of exercises and promotes proportioned muscle development. You might wanna consider it. Quoting myself:

Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post
    Here are the scans of Weider's exercise posters and charts for 3 times a week full-body workouts (say Mon - chart1, Wed - chart2, Fri - chart3). I'd just do months 2 and 3, and then to go to his split program. Month 3 is 1st set of max weight you can do for 5 reps, 2nd set of max weight you can do for 9 reps. I think it's a well thought-out program for beginners and for those coming back after a very long lay-off period. You can substitute exercises to your liking as long as they hit the same muscle group. It's old school.

Monday

-

-

Wednesday

-

-

Friday

--

--

All Joe Weider exercise charts are hanging on the wall in my home gym.

Last edited by Jetigen; 04-22-2013 at 01:14 PM.