Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Exicuton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not saying that OP is wrong, but scientifically the only benefit of stretching is flexibility (as far as we know), and you definitely shouldn't hold a stretch for 5 freaking minutes.. In no circumstance should you hold a stretch for that long. If you for some reason would want to hold a stretch for longer than 45 seconds, keep it at a maximum of 2 minutes.
    AAOS has stated that most stretches are effective after only 30 seconds. You should always warm-up before stretching as well, never stretch a cold muscle.

d33wreck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm not sure if people really understand when to stretch. Dynamic stretches before a workout, static stretches after. This new way of stretching is starting to be considered as more efficient to prevent injuries.

example of Dynamic stretching: such as arm circles where you are moving and warming up the body
    example of Static stretching: staying in one position and stretching a specific muscle for a given amount of time.
    hope that helps differentiate if not look it up.

What I like to do is before a workout warm up my muscles by doing quick cardio or movements related to my workout and use a foam roller to massage my muscles. After a workout your muscles feel tight so I use the foam roller again to relax my muscles and later in the day I static stretch.
    For a really great recovery -- stretch foam roll and sauna, steamroom, or jacuzzi!

If you got questions LMK! awesome thread.
    Last edited by d33wreck; 08-05-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Xeraz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow, thanks! I really didn't know i was supposed to stretch for that long, and i have been having some problems stretching my hamstrings. This might help, thanks!

JethroTheGreat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Stretching is good just don't stretch right before you lift really heavy or it could temporarily effect your strength.

Tentov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tentov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tentov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tentov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This was very helpful.

I know this may have been answered already, but is there a YouTube video of how full-body stretching should be done? If so, I would be more than grateful if you could send me a link of it.
    “Sometimes life’s gonna hit you in the head with a brick, don’t lose faith - hit the f***er back” - Steve Abs

mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    thank u for this great informations

Mutikoree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I always stretch 1 time a week.

Kumar619 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I saw a video by Scooby1961 on YT where he says, you should not stretch before exercise..
    See his video name "Stretching and warming up for bodybuilders"
    I know he is wrong, just wanted to share though

kanko is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanko is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanko is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanko is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanko is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanko is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanko is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanko is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanko is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanko is on a distinguished road. (+10) kanko is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JethroTheGreat View Post
    Stretching is good just don't stretch right before you lift really heavy or it could temporarily effect your strength.
    Studies?

I believe it could actually help you with lifting heavier but thats my opinion since I stretch Im making the gains of my life

Raw Nats 2014 comeatmebro DDon1996's Avatar
    DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kanko View Post
    Studies?

I believe it could actually help you with lifting heavier but thats my opinion since I stretch Im making the gains of my life
    Yes, there is empirical data supporting it. Find it your damn self.

Why is this still stickied l0l.
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159714881&p=1213186101

PowerliftingtoWIN.com

"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."

-- Paracelsus

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kanko View Post
    Studies?

yes doing prolonged static stretches right before you go for a 1 rep max can definitely hinder the muscle ability to contract forcefully. That said no one stretches right before going maximal, so I see no issue. I do a ton of static work to open my hips, without that, I would be more prone to injury than if I didn't. It really comes down to context, which is often missed when the topic of stretching comes to discussion.
    "Do not subordinate fundamental principles to minor details."

Physiotherapy instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/dayyan.physio/

AtroxEques is not very well liked. (-100) AtroxEques is not very well liked. (-100) AtroxEques is not very well liked. (-100) AtroxEques is not very well liked. (-100) AtroxEques is not very well liked. (-100) AtroxEques is not very well liked. (-100) AtroxEques is not very well liked. (-100) AtroxEques is not very well liked. (-100) AtroxEques is not very well liked. (-100) AtroxEques is not very well liked. (-100) AtroxEques is not very well liked. (-100)
    this thread only leaves you confused if you read all the different opinions :/

masterbaitor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Heres a tip for stretching so you dont forget any body parts, start from the top and go to the bottom. Meaning start off stretching your neck, then your shoulders, then you arms, etc. It seems pretty obvious but the last thing you want to do is get injured from not stretching.

amdokar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amdokar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amdokar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    thanks

amdokar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amdokar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) amdokar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    thank u for this great informations

Thumbs up

thank u

NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000)
    how long should you generally foam roll for? since you should stretch for 3-5 min. and I read that foam rolling your lowerback isn't the smartest thing true or not?
    Liverpool F.C.

RIP Bill Starr

kstan10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Completely agree. been hurt in the past from not prop stretching.

joleyjames123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    See it often, people thinking a quick 30 seconds stretch is the same as taking 5 minutes to stretch out properly.

JakubMatuska has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JakubMatuska has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JakubMatuska has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JakubMatuska has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JakubMatuska has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JakubMatuska has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JakubMatuska has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JakubMatuska has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JakubMatuska has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JakubMatuska has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JakubMatuska has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I stretch every training between sets and after the training
    FITNESS MODEL, PERSONAL TRAINER, ONLINE COACH. For more photos, updates etc. LIKE and follow me on

www.jakubmatuska.com │ ********.com/matuska.jakub.official │ ********.com/matuska.jakub │ instagram.com/jakubmatuska │ youtube.com/user/JakubMatuska

rasse226 is just really nice. (+1000) rasse226 is just really nice. (+1000) rasse226 is just really nice. (+1000) rasse226 is just really nice. (+1000) rasse226 is just really nice. (+1000) rasse226 is just really nice. (+1000) rasse226 is just really nice. (+1000) rasse226 is just really nice. (+1000) rasse226 is just really nice. (+1000) rasse226 is just really nice. (+1000) rasse226 is just really nice. (+1000)
    This is why i stretch about 50mins 5-6 times a week
    Sheiko!

Cisla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cisla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cisla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cisla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cisla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cisla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cisla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cisla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cisla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cisla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cisla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Personally i like to do my stretching routine first thing in the morning, wakes me up and gets out that morning muscle tightness.

ProgrammerPc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ProgrammerPc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ProgrammerPc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ProgrammerPc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ProgrammerPc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ProgrammerPc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ProgrammerPc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ProgrammerPc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ProgrammerPc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ProgrammerPc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ProgrammerPc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    thanks

JacobCoil is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobCoil is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobCoil is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobCoil is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobCoil is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobCoil is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobCoil is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobCoil is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobCoil is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobCoil is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobCoil is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    nice thread! very informational

Tunners has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was doing it wrong, thanks for the info. Very helpful.

famas9 is not very well liked. (-100) famas9 is not very well liked. (-100) famas9 is not very well liked. (-100) famas9 is not very well liked. (-100) famas9 is not very well liked. (-100) famas9 is not very well liked. (-100) famas9 is not very well liked. (-100) famas9 is not very well liked. (-100) famas9 is not very well liked. (-100) famas9 is not very well liked. (-100) famas9 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Thanks

Registered User FlyWeightPhenXX's Avatar
    FlyWeightPhenXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyWeightPhenXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyWeightPhenXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyWeightPhenXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyWeightPhenXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyWeightPhenXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyWeightPhenXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyWeightPhenXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyWeightPhenXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyWeightPhenXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyWeightPhenXX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Saintsqc View Post
    I was speaking with a gymnast and I learned many things.

If you are not stretching...you are doing it wrong :
    It is important to improve the flexibility of tight muscles for :
    -Injury prevention
    -More efficient position, especially for squat
    -Better posture

If you dont stretch regularly...you are doing it wrong :
    Stretching is like muscle building. Frequency is the key. Flexibility gains are temporary (like the pump after a training) and it takes time, practice and patience to see permanent gains.
    For optimal flexibility gains, stretch :
    -Once or twice a day
    -More than 3x a week
    -For at least 2-3 months

If you stretch for ~1 minute or less...you are doing it wrong :
    During the first 1-2 minutes of stretching, your muscles are resisting. In other words, it takes at least 1 minute to start stretching the muscles fibers.
    To get permanent results :
    -Stretch for 3-5 minutes NON-STOP
    -Increased the pressure on the stretched muscles over this time. Ask a partner to push on you or use your own bodyweight to apply more and more pressure.

Quick recipe to success :
    -Stretch
    -1 or 2x a day
    -3 to 7 day a week
    -Stretch for 3-5 minutes NON-STOP
    -Slowly increase the tension

If you have flexibility issue for certain exercises (especially for squat), stretching as a part of your warm up might improve your form. Tight hip external rotators, quads and adductors are common among lifters and it can cause excessive leaning and/or buttwink. Look out for hips opening stretching if you have this problem. Tight pectoral muscle and poor scapular mobility can hinder your presses (flat and over head).

Stretching a muscle for 3-5 minutes might seem time consuming for some of you. Here is a simple tips : pick 2-3 muscles that really need better flexibility. Example : quads, hip external rotators and adductor for a better squat position. Focus on them until you see permanent gains, then focus on another body parts.
    I was listening to the radio about stretching once, they said that it wasn't really required to begin with (me with over 6 years of running experience, 5 injuries, and ALL of my routines included stretching)

They said it had made no difference; I'm speaking for myself when I developed a cyst on my back knee (which is as painful as it sounds) I stretched and it seemed to have taken longer to heal.

I think though it does facilitate some soreness

Registered User NikeJordanCombo's Avatar
    NikeJordanCombo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by XCRunner9 View Post
    Similar to me. I have weak hips, so I'm strengthening them by lifting (and gaining weight since I'm underweight) and I make sure to stretch and it makes my hip feel a lot better.
    guuciciicifci

charlie97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) charlie97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) charlie97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) charlie97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) charlie97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) charlie97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) charlie97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Forgot to stretch b4 abs and couldnt get out of bed for next 2 days (srs)
    >pumped on arnie jooce
    ?"The most satisfying feel you can get in the gym is the "pump". It's as satisfying to me as "cumming" is, y'know? As having sex with a woman and cumming. So can you believe how much I am in heaven? I'm like getting the feeling of cumming in the gym, getting the feeling of cumming at home, and cumming backstage when I pump up and when I pose out in front of 5000 viewers, I get the same feeling, so I'm cumming day and night! I mean it's terrific...right? - ARNIE

ShadowLordCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow, thanks for the information. I hardly ever stretched for over a year of working out.