superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100)

WTF is with kettlebells

ve seen a lot of videos of people using them all over the web, thre seems to be a cult following with it. i know theyve been around since the dark ages or some ****, bit what are they good for. people never seem to be using heavy weight with them so it doesnt seem like there is much potential for progressive overload. ive heard they are used for ballistics trainingand piwer endurance training but is thee a reason the same exercises can not be done using a dumbell. im not negging them just want to know if im missing out on something beneficial.

PipeHitter808 is a name known to all. (+5000) PipeHitter808 is a name known to all. (+5000) PipeHitter808 is a name known to all. (+5000) PipeHitter808 is a name known to all. (+5000) PipeHitter808 is a name known to all. (+5000) PipeHitter808 is a name known to all. (+5000) PipeHitter808 is a name known to all. (+5000) PipeHitter808 is a name known to all. (+5000) PipeHitter808 is a name known to all. (+5000) PipeHitter808 is a name known to all. (+5000) PipeHitter808 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by superpat View Post
    ve seen a lot of videos of people using them all over the web, thre seems to be a cult following with it. i know theyve been around since the dark ages or some ****, bit what are they good for. people never seem to be using heavy weight with them so it doesnt seem like there is much potential for progressive overload. ive heard they are used for ballistics trainingand piwer endurance training but is thee a reason the same exercises can not be done using a dumbell. im not negging them just want to know if im missing out on something beneficial.
    Grab a 2 pood and get to it.
    "Many want to wear the beret, few want to carry the rucksack"

| Deadlift 555lbs | Back Squat 440lbs | Front Squat 390lbs | C&J 315lbs | Snatch 235lbs |

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Kettlebells and dumbbells aren't interchangeable.

Movements like curls are better performed using a dumbbell. While it is possible to curl a kettlebell, the offset mass wants stay oriented downwards as you curl the bell causing the handle to rotate in the hands. This, in turn, can cause excessive callus formation.

There are movements, such as various types of rows, in which the orientation of the hand stays pretty much constant throughout the range of motion. For these sort of movements, it doesn't matter whether you use a kettlebell or a dumbbell.

Movements such as swings can be performed with a dumbbell, but are probably more easily performed with a kettlebell. The shape of a kettlebell is more conducive to moving back and forth between the legs, especially for high repetitions. I've found, too, that I can clean more weight when using a kettlebell though this may just be a matter of practice - it seems that the technique is a bit different depending upon the implement used.

Of all of the different movements that can be performed with a kettlebell, the kettlebell swing is one of the most important. Good technique in the swing is crucial for mastering the clean and the snatch. Swings by themselves are an excellent exercise. They work the posterior chain, i.e. the glutes and hamstrings. But they also work the "core" because you should strive to maintain a neutral back position throughout the movement. If you propel the bell with your hips using enough force, you'll use your lats to arrest the bells upward arc when it gets to about chest level. (There is a type of swing called the "American Swing" where the bell goes a lot higher; I don't think the lats are used quite so much for this type of swing. IMO, if you want to put the bell overhead, you should be doing a snatch.) You'll also use your lats to help keep your shoulders firmly in their sockets. Swings, and other ballistic movements too, really work the forearm muscles too. In fact, I often find that my grip is the limiting factor when trying for high repetitions.

Do enough swings with a suitable weight - it may take only a dozen or so - and you may find yourself out of breath. Kettlebell swings are great for conditioning.

Some kettlebell movements require a high degree of skill. Lots of practice and analysis of where things could be going better is necessary to master some of the movements. I happen to like this aspect of kettlebell training; I especially enjoy trying to find ways to make myself more efficient at performing a movement.

Donnie Thompson wrote a great article about kettlebell training for power lifters. For a while, it was hosted by elitefts.com, but it's not there anymore. It is, however, still available in an archive. Here's the link:

http://web.archive.org/web/201205012...ettlebells.htm
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100) superpat is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Kettlebells and dumbbells aren't interchangeable.

Movements like curls are better performed using a dumbbell. While it is possible to curl a kettlebell, the offset mass wants stay oriented downwards as you curl the bell causing the handle to rotate in the hands. This, in turn, can cause excessive callus formation.

There are movements, such as various types of rows, in which the orientation of the hand stays pretty much constant throughout the range of motion. For these sort of movements, it doesn't matter whether you use a kettlebell or a dumbbell.

Movements such as swings can be performed with a dumbbell, but are probably more easily performed with a kettlebell. The shape of a kettlebell is more conducive to moving back and forth between the legs, especially for high repetitions. I've found, too, that I can clean more weight when using a kettlebell though this may just be a matter of practice - it seems that the technique is a bit different depending upon the implement used.

Of all of the different movements that can be performed with a kettlebell, the kettlebell swing is one of the most important. Good technique in the swing is crucial for mastering the clean and the snatch. Swings by themselves are an excellent exercise. They work the posterior chain, i.e. the glutes and hamstrings. But they also work the "core" because you should strive to maintain a neutral back position throughout the movement. If you propel the bell with your hips using enough force, you'll use your lats to arrest the bells upward arc when it gets to about chest level. (There is a type of swing called the "American Swing" where the bell goes a lot higher; I don't think the lats are used quite so much for this type of swing. IMO, if you want to put the bell overhead, you should be doing a snatch.) You'll also use your lats to help keep your shoulders firmly in their sockets. Swings, and other ballistic movements too, really work the forearm muscles too. In fact, I often find that my grip is the limiting factor when trying for high repetitions.

Do enough swings with a suitable weight - it may take only a dozen or so - and you may find yourself out of breath. Kettlebell swings are great for conditioning.

Some kettlebell movements require a high degree of skill. Lots of practice and analysis of where things could be going better is necessary to master some of the movements. I happen to like this aspect of kettlebell training; I especially enjoy trying to find ways to make myself more efficient at performing a movement.

Donnie Thompson wrote a great article about kettlebell training for power lifters. For a while, it was hosted by elitefts.com, but it's not there anymore. It is, however, still available in an archive. Here's the link:

http://web.archive.org/web/201205012...ettlebells.htm
    sounds interesting. im thinking of implementing these at the end of my strength training. theres alot of diy videos for making these at home.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    sounds interesting. im thinking of implementing these at the end of my strength training.
    Placing high volume swings or snatches at the end of a workout is a good idea. You can also do fewer of them at the beginning as part of your warm up.

theres alot of diy videos for making these at home.
    Watch craigslist too - you might be able to pick up some used kettlebells for not much money. With regard to making your own, you want to take care that the handle is securely attached. A lot of damage can be caused if the kettlebell comes apart during dynamic / ballistic movements.

A 16kg or 20kg kettlebell is a good starting weight for the average male. If you choose one that's too light, it'll be harder to learn good form. If you can do a two-handed front raise with the bell, it's too light. The idea behind swings and like movements is to use your hips to propel the bell outwards and upwards. If you're using back and shoulder muscles to raise the kettlebell, you're doing it wrong.

yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000)
    My gym has them up to 90lbs. I use the 25's and the 44s. I do a bunch of shoulder exercises with them and its great cardio. you will be huffing and puffing by the end of a set
    Yetti

http://diystrengthgear.blogspot.com/...emade.html?m=1

this is the one i like best. it looms simple. though i have no experience witb kbs. do you think this would properly suffice.

http://diystrengthgear.blogspot.com/...emade.html?m=1

this is the one i like best. it looms simple. though i have no experience witb kbs. do you think this would properly suffice.
    I hadn't seen that one before. Here's the video:

It should be pretty secure so long as you tighten everything, using loc-tite as suggested.

A couple of comments:

Visit your hardware store first, and price everything prior to buying anything. That hardware may end up being more expensive than you expect.

The resulting kettlebell will work well for swings. For cleans and snatches, I think you'd be better off with a real kettlebell. I'm sure that cleans and snatches can be done, but you may find it difficult (or painful) to position the handle so that your thumb and forefinger are in one corner and your wrist and/or forearm rest against the other side of the handle. Steve Cotter demonstrates the this position and drills for working on inserting the hand in the kettllebell handle when doing a kettlebell snatch:

ctalamantez is on a distinguished road. (+10) ctalamantez is on a distinguished road. (+10) ctalamantez is on a distinguished road. (+10) ctalamantez is on a distinguished road. (+10) ctalamantez is on a distinguished road. (+10) ctalamantez is on a distinguished road. (+10) ctalamantez is on a distinguished road. (+10) ctalamantez is on a distinguished road. (+10) ctalamantez is on a distinguished road. (+10) ctalamantez is on a distinguished road. (+10) ctalamantez is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i love kettle bell workouts

after seeing that i think ill just buy a real one. is there anything i should look for when buying like a brand or something. i only ask because the dude in the vid mentioned something about a "well made kettlebell"

yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000)
    here is a good one for kettles

Yetti

after seeing that i think ill just buy a real one. is there anything i should look for when buying like a brand or something. i only ask because the dude in the vid mentioned something about a "well made kettlebell"
    Steve Cotter is using competition style kettlebells in that video. Competition kettlebells are all the same size and shape regardless of weight. They are frequently color coded so that you can tell the weight at a glance. The insides are hollow to varying degrees depending upon the weight. The uniform size and shape is said to be an advantage because they will feel the same as you move from one weight to another. This may actually be an important factor if you compete in kettlebell competitions, but is probably not that critical for the rest of us.

The other style of kettlebell are the solid cast iron bells. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, though of course, the size will correspond to the weight.

Whichever type you get, it's important to look closely at the handle. It should be reasonably smooth and free of obvious seams which might promote callus formation or rip existing calluses. That said, if you get a cheap bell with less than pristine handle, you can file or grind away whatever it is that might cause problems. The handles of competition kettlebells are frequently filed or sanded smooth with just enough texture to hold chalk.

Handle diameter, width, and shape are also important. Competition kettlebells typically have wide handles that are 4.75" across the inside, 2.375" from the handle to the "ball" part of the bell, and diameter of around 33mm. Competition handles have a distinctly boxy look; the corners are rounded, but the main part of the handle that you grip is straight. Cast iron bells often have thicker handles with different shapes. If you have large hands, the thicker handle can feel more comfortable, but can be more taxing on the grip, which can either be good or bad depending upon how you look at it. One of the things I've noticed about most of the bells that I own is that the handle is not quite wide enough to fit both hands when doing two-handed swings. I don't consider this to be a serious problem, however. I just do one-hand swings or double bell swings instead.

You should also look at the bottom of kettlebell. It should be flat and wide enough to not tip over when doing renegade rows.

I've posted photos and comparisons of the kettlebells that I own. See:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=137559523

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=138848253

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=140127683

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=152709993

Of all the kettlebells that I own, I still like the bells from Lifeline USA the best, but the kettlebells from AOS/Punch are also very nice. I happen to like the texture of the Lifeline bells a bit better, but this may just be personal preference.

I show the issue with handle sizes (widths) in this post:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1057109511

Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Youtube has 1 jillion KB videos. I researched it as it looked fun but I couldn't integrate it well into my plan. I also looked at the bodytypes of Youtube guys and figured I'd rather stick with weights. Some of the professional high end KB videos require all sorts of proper form positioning for heavy flips and I didn't want to go through the effort to learn the complexities or worry my wrist/elbow was out of position on a move or smash my jimmy with a KB. Not dogging KB, just not my thing. Go to YT and watch the high end guys doing their thing and see if you like it.

817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

It surprises me how many people refuse to buy equipment from Elitefts because its too expensive but they will buy equipment from their competitors, then continue to go on EFS website to educate themselves for FREE

futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    it can be used for all around body movement exercises. it can keep the body conditioned. for people that do it they don't look muscular but they body are in good condition from it. I even found myself doing it for shoulder movements.

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 817boy View Post

[ig]http://paulm.com/pix/2005/01/30/kettlebell_pushup.jpg[/img]

[im]http://cliftonharski.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/sexy-kettlebell-2.jpg[/img]
    Wow, that is a whole new level of stupid. Ah yes, crossfit, just as I thought.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

Originally Posted by 817boy View Post
    Wow, a kettlebell windmill in high heels!

Rigmaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use them for speed workouts when I don't have time for a full lift routine or instead of running-based cardio. You really have to do homework on instruction though - a lot of questionable safety and advice out there. Believe it or not, Bob Harper's Kettlebell Burn DVD isn't half bad for cardio blasting. He's annoying to listen to, but that's why the mute button exists. KB-ing for an hour isn't possible if you're pushing any kind of weight though. 45lbs moving all the time will wear on you once you hit the 20-min mark.

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Wow, a kettlebell windmill in high heels!
    No big deal. I do it all the time.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

im saving up for one. question should i get a pair or is one good to start with. i will only be using them to supplement my barbell routine and they are expensive. just wondering if one will suffice for time being.

im saving up for one. question should i get a pair or is one good to start with. i will only be using them to supplement my barbell routine and they are expensive. just wondering if one will suffice for time being.
    One kettlebell is fine to start with. You should probably start off with a 16kg or 20kg kettlebell.