mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

deadlift beginner

so after disregarding my lower back for my entire training life I made a decision to start doing deadlifts last month.
    First session i managed to pull 100 for 5 reps and I was sore for a good 4 days after that
    Did my 4th session today and managed to get up 150 for 5 reps and i reckon i could probably of got 160 at a push.
    Loving the noob gains so far. its all felt good, no niggles or pain whilst doing it.

Now the confession. I train at a fitness gym through the week and therefore i can only do deadlifts in a smith machine.
    Just a couple of questions
    1. How different different does it feel to deadlift a barbell, is it an entirely different technique
    2. Once I start doing deadlift with a barbell would you expect my starting weight to be drastically different to the smith machine
    Just want to add the smith machine I use isnt weight assisted and the bar it runs on does have a bit of give in it so its not entirely fixed the range of motion.

AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Due to the mechanics of the lift, Deadlifts would be the one lift I would 100% avoid on the smith machine. It gives you no natural movement at all and would be a risk to injury.
    "I'll do today what others won't so I can do tomorrow what others can't" - such a fitting quote for bodybuilding!

speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    time to look for another gym.

mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by speedjason View Post
    time to look for another gym.
    with my work schedule i cant really fit in getting to another gym atm. The gym I currently go to I can see out my window, compared to a 30minute drive to the nearest one that would allow heavy deadlifts.
    I only get to go to a different gym on a saturday and thats when I do chest with a friend.

Does it really feel that much different on a smith? Benching, shoulder press, rows on smith dont feel bad at all and up to now ive been fine on the smith. Ive almost maxed out the weight I can do at my gym anyways so going to have to find an alternative.

JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Don't dead lift on a smith machine. There's nothing natural about that, at all. When you get to doing barbell deads, it will be a world of difference.

There's not one barbell in that gym??

speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mastdog View Post
    with my work schedule i cant really fit in getting to another gym atm. The gym I currently go to I can see out my window, compared to a 30minute drive to the nearest one that would allow heavy deadlifts.
    I only get to go to a different gym on a saturday and thats when I do chest with a friend.

Does it really feel that much different on a smith? Benching, shoulder press, rows on smith dont feel bad at all and up to now ive been fine on the smith. Ive almost maxed out the weight I can do at my gym anyways so going to have to find an alternative.
    look up on internet see if anyone is selling a bar and some plates. you can pretty much deadlift anywhere. garage. back yard. living room. where as squats require squat rack.

Originally Posted by JB1Million View Post
    Don't dead lift on a smith machine. There's nothing natural about that, at all. When you get to doing barbell deads, it will be a world of difference.

There's not one barbell in that gym??
    yea any barbell will work even the short ones people usually curl with.

yea any barbell will work even the short ones people usually curl with.
    No barbells at all it sucks. theres an EZ bar and those bars with padding on that are used in bodyfit classes but they can only support like 50.
    There used to be another gym with everything I need but its closed down, hopefully will be re-opening soon.
    Do you realise how expensive a barbell with enough weight would cost n id only have room to put it outside and it would f&& the patio up

Registered Phaggot ISmokeTooMuch's Avatar
    ISmokeTooMuch is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ISmokeTooMuch is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ISmokeTooMuch is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ISmokeTooMuch is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ISmokeTooMuch is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ISmokeTooMuch is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ISmokeTooMuch is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ISmokeTooMuch is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ISmokeTooMuch is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ISmokeTooMuch is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ISmokeTooMuch is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    do not deadlift in a smith machine.

find yourself a new gym man

JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No barbells at all it sucks. theres an EZ bar and those bars with padding on that are used in bodyfit classes but they can only support like 50.
    There used to be another gym with everything I need but its closed down, hopefully will be re-opening soon.
    Do you realise how expensive a barbell with enough weight would cost n id only have room to put it outside and it would f&& the patio up
    F it. Use the EZ bar if that's all you got. I would do that over smith.

I've load up the ez bar to 135lbs and the same length straight bar to 225lbs. they didnt break lol.

I've load up the ez bar to 135lbs and the same length straight bar to 225lbs. they didnt break lol.
    i doubt ez bars are built to be supporting much more than 100 and ide of thought the way you grip it would be an issue

Chris_Brown is not very well liked. (-100) Chris_Brown is not very well liked. (-100) Chris_Brown is not very well liked. (-100) Chris_Brown is not very well liked. (-100) Chris_Brown is not very well liked. (-100) Chris_Brown is not very well liked. (-100) Chris_Brown is not very well liked. (-100) Chris_Brown is not very well liked. (-100) Chris_Brown is not very well liked. (-100) Chris_Brown is not very well liked. (-100) Chris_Brown is not very well liked. (-100)
    Get a barbell on craigslist and buy some plates. It'll be much cheaper than your doctor's visits from deadlifting using a smith machine

Originally Posted by Chris_Brown View Post
    Get a barbell on craigslist and buy some plates. It'll be much cheaper than your doctor's visits from deadlifting using a smith
    machine
    your talking like well over £150 for all the weight needed and the bar and i would have nowhere to do it. I cant just go dumping 150 on a wooden floor and then leave the bar in the middle of the living room can i.
    Could you post examples of people being hospitalized from using a smith machine

your talking like well over £150 for all the weight needed and the bar and i would have nowhere to do it. I cant just go dumping 150 on a wooden floor and then leave the bar in the middle of the living room can i.
    Could you post examples of people being hospitalized from using a smith machine
    even if you dont get hurt. I dont think the bar on the smith machine even goes that low.

i doubt ez bars are built to be supporting much more than 100 and ide of thought the way you grip it would be an issue
    I only use it to do standing rows. yes I have loaded it up more than 100lbs.

I only use it to do standing rows. yes I have loaded it up more than 100lbs.
    im talking kgs brah we dont measure in lbs over here. the bar does go low enough aswell. ive seen smith machines with a very rigid straight path that has no give in it but the one i use isnt totally fixed to straight up and down there is some flexibility there thats why im thinking it might not be all that bad and at 150 it didnt feel like an unnatural path

im talking kgs brah we dont measure in lbs over here. the bar does go low enough aswell. ive seen smith machines with a very rigid straight path that has no give in it but the one i use isnt totally fixed to straight up and down there is some flexibility there thats why im thinking it might not be all that bad and at 150 it didnt feel like an unnatural path
    well if you are settled using it I dont see there is much we can discuss about.
    you can always do body extension with weights in your hands for lower back strength.

ToyotaGuy88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You could do dumbbell deadlifts? I've never done these as I've always had barbells available to me. I would just think that'd be easier on you than a smith machine deadlift.