njc0las has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) njc0las has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) njc0las has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Lightbulb Mixing fruit and meat/carbs = bad?

I apologize if this has been covered. I searched to no avail. I've heard a bunch of people say Fit for Life is a great book, but supposedly it says that you should never mix fruit with carbs or meat cause it will rot in your stomach and be a waste. Is there any truth to this? Everybody mixes this stuff every day, expecially when working out so what the hell? Is this crap or what? I've quoted it below...

"If you eat a complex carbohydrate, your body releases one type of digestive juice. Bread, pasta, chips and other similar foods fall into this category. If you eat a protein, like meat, dairy or cheese, another type of digestive juice is released. Now, guess what? One is an alkali and one is acidic and do you know what happens when they are released at the same time? They cancel each other out. They neutralize each other. This means that nothing gets digested. In other words, if you eat a burger in a bun, the burger and the bun sit there and rot. Now the reason we have such a problem with weight is not only due to what we eat, but how we eat it, so let?s make a rule and follow it: Don?t mix complex carbohydrates and proteins!"

becoming godsized! bodybuilder45's Avatar
    bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    its crap, i wouldnt take anything that author writes seriously after reading that...

GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That couldn't be further from the truth. A lot of protein digestion occurs in the stomach, where pH is very low and digestive enzymes such as pepsin are released. Carbohydrates are digested in the intestine, where pH is higher which triggers the activity of the amylase - a carbohydrate digesting enzyme.

Cheatin is for nancy boys GTJacket's Avatar
    GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Did he really just say don't eat complex carbs with protein?
    "...The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." - Teddy Roosevelt

njc0las has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) njc0las has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) njc0las has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey, I didn't say it, someone else did!

somaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) somaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) somaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) somaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) somaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) somaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) somaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) somaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) somaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) somaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) somaro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is touched upon on the sticky titled "Debunking bodybuilding nutrition myths" or something like that. Food combination/separation is a pile of garbage. The author vastly underestimates the adaptability of the human body

He must be on creatine! slaydox's Avatar
    slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Chips a complex carb source?! LOL!

Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lolz, wtf. Some complex carbs have a decent protein amount, too.
    If life gives you AIDS, make lemonAIDS

ISSA Certified CFT

gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wow...that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If our bodies were really that inefficient, I'm sure we'd all be dead by the age of 3. This reminds me of a time my grandmother said I should eat veggies and fruits together, because the veggies would digest and the fruits would ferment. Ugh, don't these people take some simple biology classes before they write these BS books?!?

Also: Your stomach releases gastric acid. That's it. It's your small intestine that releases different enzymes to break down different things. Hm, so that explains why we don't sh*t whole hamburgers.
    Last edited by gfundaro; 02-19-2007 at 03:52 PM.

SAEcaltheta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Big Cat said so too!!

I don't know how knowledgeable "Big Cat" is but I have learned most of my information from him and he is supposed to be on the smartest people on the forums and bb.com in general. This is what he said:

"In a meal that contains both proteins and carbs, you should take care to make sure that most of the carb sources, if not all of them, are simple carbs like mono- and di- saccharides. The reason is that when you digest a protein or a fat you use acids to degrade to the nutrients that finally enter the blood. But carbohydrates use alkalines to be digested and if alkalines and acids are present at the same time they neutralize each other. Through insulin stimulation and water retention we have shown that carbs are beneficial to protein absorption, and rightly so. That is why you can add carbs, as long as they are simple sugars. They don't require much digesting and thus they don't add much alkaline to the mix. Glucose (natural blood-sugar) and sucrose and so don't even need any digestion they just enter the blood, as does most of the fructose and dextrose (corn-sugar, similar in structure to glucose). Lactose breaks down immediately into the two simple counterparts and is absorbed. So these sugars will not hinder the absorption of large amounts of protein, but complex carbs take a while to digest, some as long as three hours, during which alkalines are gushing into the stomach. Not only do you not disallow protein to be absorbed, but also the carbs, because the acid cancels out the alkaline needed to digest them.

How do you include complex carbs? Easy, by themselves. Usually a good way to replenish lost glycogen and assure enough energy for the entire day is to eat an all complex carb meal in the mid-morning. Nowhere near your times of rest or post-workout nutrition. That can fuel you for the entire day and it should be all digested by the time you get to lunch. That means 150 grams of spaghetti with a baked potato and a few slices of bread would make a great midmorning snack. And it really fills you up. This also means that when you eat meat, an important compound of healthy fat and protein, you can't eat potatoes or bread with it. And you should avoid as much complex carbs in post-workout nutrition as well since this is the time you need more protein. If you do take complex carbs, use maltodextrin because it is broken down easier and much more efficiently, but the best mix is still your protein requirement (35-50) with an equal amount or higher in simple carbs and some clean fats. So if you are looking for a quality weight gainer, you know what to watch. Protein and sugar".

He wrote this in his anabolic nutrition section in his I.C.E. training program.

fates_child03 is just really nice. (+1000) fates_child03 is just really nice. (+1000) fates_child03 is just really nice. (+1000) fates_child03 is just really nice. (+1000) fates_child03 is just really nice. (+1000) fates_child03 is just really nice. (+1000) fates_child03 is just really nice. (+1000) fates_child03 is just really nice. (+1000) fates_child03 is just really nice. (+1000) fates_child03 is just really nice. (+1000) fates_child03 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thats definitely a concept that is just that a concept and not fact lol. I'd continue eatting fruit or meat/carbs no biggie lol.
    I am not afraid... I was born to do this!

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Pain is temporary, failure lasts forever

Tranformation of The Week
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/transm94.htm