mewaii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

is it a good reason to change PT?

Hi,
    I would really like to know your opinion about the following..
    I meet my PT once a week since 18 months now. I do all the exercises at the max of my ability, I've been always extremely committed and self-motivated from day 1 i.e. I hit the gym 6 times a week, eating super healthy (protein bars apart I do not use any other supplement), literally following every single suggestion of my PT. I also see the other clients he trains and frankly nobody had a similar body transformation as I do, so in a way I guess I represent the best advertising for my PT in the gym Last but not least I've never been late with the payments and if I need to change our slot (it happens rarely) I usually give him 1 week notice. So that's me!

What I think about him? Techically good, very empathic person, fun guy. I really enjoy our sessions, and in a kind of way I feel thankful and emotionally connected with him due to the fact that 18 months ago he saw me in the worst period of my life, we started a journey together and results are massive! But there are also things that tend to p*** me off:
    - not organised (he does not have any file with my data, past programmes, mesurements, etc. I keep track of everything)
    - lazyness (I always need to stimulate him: explain my long term vision, dictate the next goal, etc.)
    - procastination with the set up of new programme (I usually need to remind him for 2-3 weeks, he tends to forget)
    - very often he cuts the session short (5-10 minutes earlier)
    - often he leaves me 5 minutes alone on the threadmill for the warm-up.

I feel that in a kind of way he is very proud of me, but overall I have the impression that he is extremely caring, empathic and focused on me for 45-50 minutes (even if I pay for a 60min session!), then game-over! Sometimes when we meet he just asks me "what do you want to do?". I guess he thinks he makes me happy that way... but I don't want he makes me happy, I need a trainer that CARES about me and my achievements, that has a vision and a long term strategy. Otherwise just go and train the cougars!!

I have not told hime yet all the above, because everytime I have tried to approach even one of the points above, even if he looks ok, I feel his tension. He tries to improve for 2-3 weeks, than back as usual.

Last thing. I never bother him with sms, fb etc (I know that other clients do), we only meet at the gym once a week and I only text him in case I need to change our slot (it happens rarely) and I always give him at least 1 week notice (!!)... usually very late reply from his side... often I just receive his feedback one day before the new proposed slot, often not even via sms, but he just meets me at the gym and shouts "Hey, tomorrow is ok!". This is not exactly what I call mutual respect.

All those little things together are annoying me more and more, but I keep training with him because of the results achieved and because I would really avoid to start again with a new person (knowing each other, build up the rapport, etc.).

Question: Is it time to move on or am I just too demanding?? How do you treat your clients? What do you suggest to do?

Thanks

RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would discuss this with him. You have got results - that's great. But the parts he is missing are vital part of our job as a PT. Sounds like maybe his motivation is lacking a bit atm. Sometimes a good conversation can get people, even a trainer, back on track.

BUT - as a client that should not be your job to motivate your trainer or tell him to write programs for you etc. A trainer's role is to train you and motivate you.

But maybe have a chat. As a trainer you can get too comfortable.
    Tired of boring cardio? Want to add a challenge to your workouts?
    New book available on the Amazon store
    "Cardio Revolution: 54 Fat Loss Finishers - Pack of Cards Workout"

www.revolutionlifestyles.com

Online fitness, nutrition and lifestyle coaching.

Personal training - Wimbledon, SW19.

Fat Loss | Strength Training

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mewaii View Post
    What I think about him? Techically good, very empathic person, fun guy. I really enjoy our sessions, and in a kind of way I feel thankful and emotionally connected with him due to the fact that 18 months ago he saw me in the worst period of my life, we started a journey together and results are massive! But there are also things that tend to p*** me off:
    - not organised (he does not have any file with my data, past programmes, mesurements, etc. I keep track of everything)
    - lazyness (I always need to stimulate him: explain my long term vision, dictate the next goal, etc.)
    - procastination with the set up of new programme (I usually need to remind him for 2-3 weeks, he tends to forget)
    - very often he cuts the session short (5-10 minutes earlier)
    - often he leaves me 5 minutes alone on the threadmill for the warm-up.
    Ok here's my 2c on this. Ultimately if you aren't happy with the service, try looking into working with another trainer. I know it sucks at first and it's an inconvenience, but at the end of the day it'd work out better for you.

I'm going to provide some info for you to help you understand his side of the equation though. His position.

- is he an employee of the gym itself or an independent contractor who has nothing to do with the gym where you train? If he's independent, you typically have to book another separate appointment if you require a reassessment style session. Anything extra that you're asking him to do that takes time for him to create or attend, is additional charges. Even when a trainer does programming for example, it still is work. In most cases (when independent) outside programming doesn't come for free.

- are you a member of that gym as well? Is it the trainer's job to create extra programs for you as part of that member's package? If you're not a member of the gym where you both do these sessions, then what does the contract say when you first signed up with him? Did it stipulate that he would provide additional programs? Keep track of past paperwork for filing? Or do you just expect that?

- if you are entitled to the extra perks, then you must confront him about his laziness.

- him leaving 5-10mins early is not cool. That isn't on. Confront him about that. In those instances however, are you late 5-10mins? If so, he is within his right to stop at the normal scheduled finish time. If he is the one who is late, he's meant to be the one who goes overtime and you still receive the full hour. If you're late and he's ready to work, that's your issue and not his. Not everyone can stick around all day. If you complete the workout early because you're awesome and you're getting fitter and your rest periods end up being shorter etc., that's great, as trainer's we often WISH for extra time at the end so we can overview the workout and talk about nutrition and lifestyle coaching and upcoming days' plans, instead of having to "rush off" to the next session/person. So he should be using that 5-10mins for that, not for leaving early. That's your scheduled time.

- during that 5min warmup where you're alone on the treadmill, is that within the session time itself? If so, he should be with you side by side talking you through the plan for that day. If it's outside of the session time, and for example you're early to the gym, he does not have to be obligated to be with you then. That's still his time where he might be busy doing something else. From a trainer's point of view, we like when our clients turn up a few minutes early however. That's a good thing. Doesn't make the warmup feel rushed or interrupted. Good to put some time and focus into a person's warmup. But on the flip side, try not to be too early as it often throws a spanner into the works and makes the trainer feel as if they have to start early when they might want to do something else leading up to your session. It does create some awkwardness at times.

So i understand your frustration. Definitely talk to him about it. If you've been with him for a while, he might be comfortable with you. Taking you for granted each week. Make sure you're both on the same page and working towards the same goal. Talk about expectations and contracts. Talk about what his job entails and his duties as an employee (if employee) vs. what you want.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

mewaii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks a lot for your feedback. It makes a lot of sense.
    I'm a member of the gym and he works as a PT in the gym. I just pay him for our sessions, but I don't have any written contract (only the gym contract, but that does not include PT sessions). That said, I guess Simmo0508 is right, probably he should charge me for the set up of a new programme, it's fair enough due to the fact I'm very demanding. Going forward I will consider this.
    About his early leaving or me alone during the warm up, it's more him as I'm never late (..ok maybe a few minutes 2-3 times in 18 months!!), I'll check if he does the same also with the other clients and eventually I'll have a chat with him.
    After all I guess he is a good guy and a good trainer, but probably he just takes me for granted now and he's getting to comfortable with me because I'm self-motivated (during the first months he used to text me just to motivate me or to check how my training or diet was going... I know that it was just business, but it was nice).
    Thanks again!

CSDFITNESS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    At the end of the day your paying for a 60 minute service..And if your not getting the full 60 minutes then it's just not right. I would say call him out on it. If he gets defensive and starts making up silly reasons why then you know it's time to switch to a new trainer because that would be proving he doesn't care for you as a client (which he should!) but by you calling him out on it he might change in a positive way and you could feel more comfortable talking about the other issues your having with him.

If someone ever had a problem with me, or way I was doing anything I would defiantly thank them for their honestly and do whatever I could to fix the problem
    Owner of a personal training business.

www.csdfitness.com

Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000)
    He should have you on the treadmill 5 mins BEFORE the session.

Also, that 5-10 mins hes cutting short is 1/12 - 1/6 of what youre paying for the session.

samjmurphy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Personally I think if you are even thinking about leaving your PT, you should leave your PT.

You are paying this money and you want a great service, obviously nothing is perfect but you want to have his mood and attitude the last thing to be worrying about. You want to turn up and train hard, and not worry about how he will be feeling that day and if you should rush everything in case he leaves early that session. Plus someone else could get you even bigger gains and having as much fun as you are now, or even a different approach to training could motivate you even more.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You must remember this is a business relationship,but he must also remember that it is.
    Sounds like the training relationship is getting stale.
    You are paying for his time and it should all be focused on you,your training and goals.
    It sounds as if he has become complacent.
    You should have an honest bussiness talk with him.
    If he gets upset move on,he may not realize what he is doing with your session.
    You have expectations as a client just as he has expectations for you the client and if those aren't met then you have the right to move on.
    Get the courage to talk to him first and take it from there.