dalbertgrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Safety of B vitamins, safety of vitamins in general

Hello,
    I'm a little worried.
    My grandmother got a prescription drug from her doc which contains B1 and B6 100mg each per tablet.
    Now the leaflet which contains all the infos also talks about side effects and in the leaflet it says that
    taking B1 and B6 for a prolonged time, like a few months, can cause polyneuropathy at a dose of 50mg
    per day!
    This really confused me because most of the ordinary B complex supplement formulas out there on the market contain at least 50mg of the all the B vitamins and there is NO warning on the lable at all. Did you know that you can get polyneuropathy from B vitamins? I didn't. This really makes you wonder about how safe supplements and vitamins are.
    This is one huge weakness of supplements. They don't have any warnings and you are not told about side effects or drug interactions like prescription drugs.
    Why doesn't the FDA require that you're at least told about side effects and interactions?

Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500)
    Deaths caused by vitamins since they have been put into pill form? Lesn than 5.
    Deaths caused by prescription medications? Millions.

If you want to worry about it, than worry. Just don't think of it as any more dangerous than the **** people eat these days or the medications they take.
    Golden.

Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500) Cable100k is not very helpful. (-500)
    I think the focus needs to be on what IS killing people (medications). Not what MIGHT.
    Golden.

evidence based poster Terrimonas's Avatar
    Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There is no legitimately documented and validated cases where only 50 mg/d of Pyridoxine used chronically has caused sensory neuropathy. Chronic 250-500 mg/d is probably the lowest dose where it's occurred by the evidence is scant. It usually requires at least a gram/d for extended periods of time.

synkestrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) synkestrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) synkestrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) synkestrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) synkestrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) synkestrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) synkestrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) synkestrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) synkestrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) synkestrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) synkestrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dalbertgrady View Post
    Hello,
    I'm a little worried.
    My grandmother got a prescription drug from her doc which contains B1 and B6 100mg each per tablet.
    Now the leaflet which contains all the infos also talks about side effects and in the leaflet it says that
    taking B1 and B6 for a prolonged time, like a few months, can cause polyneuropathy at a dose of 50mg
    per day!
    This really confused me because most of the ordinary B complex supplement formulas out there on the market contain at least 50mg of the all the B vitamins and there is NO warning on the lable at all. Did you know that you can get polyneuropathy from B vitamins? I didn't. This really makes you wonder about how safe supplements and vitamins are.
    This is one huge weakness of supplements. They don't have any warnings and you are not told about side effects or drug interactions like prescription drugs.
    Why doesn't the FDA require that you're at least told about side effects and interactions?
    instead of the tablets you can eat the food that contains these vitamins

DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by synkestrel View Post
    instead of the tablets you can eat the food that contains these vitamins

should look about where you can get 100 mg of b1 and b6 each. that is easily achievable and report back
    From Houston, now I am in San Diego

Registered Nurse? Or work in the healthcare? Come join
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147557373
    -=Degenerative Disc Disease Crew=-
    -=Torn Pec Crew=-

DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatMurse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dalbertgrady View Post
    Hello,
    I'm a little worried.
    per day!

can cause and will cause is different.

Thats like saying aspirin and tylenol can kill you..
    OD on Aspirin will cause bleed outs and cause you to bleed to death, therefore aspirin will kill you.

Of course with everything you intake there are risk factors and adverse effects which may happen.

There are reasons why your doctor is prescribing this and how long does he want her to be on it?
    From Houston, now I am in San Diego

Registered Nurse? Or work in the healthcare? Come join
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147557373
    -=Degenerative Disc Disease Crew=-
    -=Torn Pec Crew=-