Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Seatard View Post
    Pretty nice, the corners on the new brackets are wigging me out a little though.

I would for sure find a way to hit my head on those. LOL
    I'll be rounding these off in the very near future, I might even cut them properly with a hacksaw so they're more like pyramids lol.

My2BoysDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) My2BoysDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) My2BoysDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) My2BoysDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) My2BoysDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) My2BoysDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) My2BoysDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) My2BoysDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) My2BoysDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) My2BoysDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) My2BoysDad will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great job. You will notice a world of difference having the plates on each side of the rack.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    Best looking Powertech rack I've ever seen!!

This^^^

Very, very nice.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    nice work dude!!!! Those sharp corners on the joining pieces would freak me out.

I wanted to do this with mine a number of time but I have the lat pull-down attachment so
    it didn't really seem feasible between that and the space I have to work with.

TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It is the WB-PR11 rack ya?
    I deserve that pedestal, I own it, and the sea ought to part for me.
    Just get out of the fuking way, I'm on a mission.
    So just step aside and gimme the trophy.

iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by blkbelt42 View Post
    nice work dude!!!! Those sharp corners on the joining pieces would freak me out.

I wanted to do this with mine a number of time but I have the lat pull-down attachment so
    it didn't really seem feasible between that and the space I have to work with.
    It would still be possible on the edition with the lat pull down option. You would just have to have plate storage to the height of the cage / uprights, oh and to manufacture a high level cross member.

I'll be removing these sharp edges very soon...

Originally Posted by TommyStarwind View Post
    It is the WB-PR11 rack ya?
    I think so, It's the 2011 edition power rack by Powertec. It's now called the WB-PR11-PS lol

blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by iportal View Post
    It would still be possible on the edition with the lat pull down option. You would just have to have plate storage to the height of the cage / uprights, oh and to manufacture a high level cross member.

yeah, just too much effort to too little return. I've got 2 weight trees, one
    on each side of the cage so it seems like enough.

Reps for a great job!

TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think so, It's the 2011 edition power rack by Powertec. It's now called the WB-PR11-PS lol
    Yeah I bought mine almost exactly 2 years ago so thanks for the dimensions haha

When you say you couldn't bench before... You couldn't incline bench right? That is my biggest issue with it.
    I deserve that pedestal, I own it, and the sea ought to part for me.
    Just get out of the fuking way, I'm on a mission.
    So just step aside and gimme the trophy.

Originally Posted by blkbelt42 View Post
    yeah, just too much effort to too little return. I've got 2 weight trees, one
    on each side of the cage so it seems like enough.

Reps for a great job!
    Thanks, I'll rep everyone on recharge.

Having a plate tree each side of the rack is almost perfect so there's not the need.

I almost bought the lat additional for the power rack but I ended up buying a selectorized Body solid Pro lat machine instead...

Originally Posted by TommyStarwind View Post
    Yeah I bought mine almost exactly 2 years ago so thanks for the dimensions haha

When you say you couldn't bench before... You couldn't incline bench right? That is my biggest issue with it.
    I literally couldn't fit my Body Solid pro club line bench in there. The lower rear cross member was in the way and placing the bench in front of behind the cross member meant the bench was in totally the wrong place.

Now I can bench as the cross member is higher up and much further back (300mm) or so.

I don't have to buy a new set of dumbbells every month or two now which is nice, I can do it the cheap way, and just add additional plates to the bar... Oh and it's safer than potentially, dropping a heavy(ish) 45kg or more dumbbell on my face.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I literally couldn't fit my Body Solid pro club line bench in there. The lower rear cross member was in the way and placing the bench in front of behind the cross member meant the bench was in totally the wrong place.

Now I can bench as the cross member is higher up and much further back (300mm) or so.

I don't have to buy a new set of dumbbells every month or two now which is nice, I can do it the cheap way, and just add additional plates to the bar... Oh and it's safer than potentially, dropping a heavy(ish) 45kg or more dumbbell on my face.

This thread is something the owners of the Body Solid GPR378 should check out, as well. It would solve what I feel is the biggest issue with that rack - the lack of depth due to the lower rear crossbar placement.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

Originally Posted by Stasher1 View Post
    This thread is something the owners of the Body Solid GPR378 should check out, as well. It would solve what I feel is the biggest issue with that rack - the lack of depth due to the lower rear crossbar placement.
    I completely agree, I meant to say 'in front or behind the cross member', not what I said above.

I can't see why Body Solid would make the GPR 378 rack that's not compatible with one of their benches.

I agree they're from different lines but still.

The only benefit with the Body Solid rack over the Powertec rack is that the Body Solid rear lower cross member is a little lower down, well it seems to be in the photos anyway.

But you're right, both racks are shallow.

I feel that Powertec and Body Solid could add plate storage to their racks, even if it's 2x2" box section, for a very minimal cost.

This would allow a much wider range of benches to be used and open up the market if the plate storage is an add on.

I would of bought a plate storage add on if it was available,. e.g. Powertec rack is £450 ($550), if a plate storage add on was priced as a £150 ($175) option it would still be half way in between the Powertec / Bodysolid and much better racks like the Sorinex dark horse (which seems to be an amazing rack).

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    WOW, reps on sight for life.

In all my time here this is the first time I can recall someone has actually done anything, usually people ask how to make a rack then fall off the face of the earth and never post about it again.

Thanks for posting all those pictures, great to see, excellent workmanship there. Enjoy the rack, respect for seeing your vision through.
    Last edited by Accutron; 04-17-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

Flex14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flex14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flex14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flex14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flex14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flex14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flex14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flex14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flex14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flex14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flex14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Wow, now that is awesome.

Well done.

Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Xtian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    amazing work!
    Best gym lifts
    Bench 390x1 225x22
    Squat 500x1 405x10 315x21
    Deads 640x1 405x20
    OHP 225x1

Here's a pic of the plate storage painted yellow.

It's a slightly different yellow to the rack but not a million miles away. It just makes things look a little nicer. It could do with another coat but I ran out, here you go.

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice to see the rack all painted up mate, you've done a really good job there. The yellow is close enough for it to be barely noticable. As with any job you do yourself, you always notice it more then anyone else.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As many have said, excellent job. Thanks for posting all the pics, looks great.

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Did you ever de-weaponize the gussets?

Originally Posted by cmarti063 View Post
    Did you ever de-weaponize the gussets?
    Not yet but I have upgraded the m12 threaded rod to m20 threaded rod for the plate storage.

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Not yet but I have upgraded the m12 threaded rod to m20 threaded rod for the plate storage.
    I think the crowd is chanting... what's that? "Pics, pics, pics..."

Originally Posted by cmarti063 View Post
    I think the crowd is chanting... what's that? "Pics, pics, pics..."
    I'll try and take a photo later on if I have time :-)

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think this is a damned good job for a bolt on.

You probably could've gotten a local welder to do those welds for you and even welded on some pipe for the weight storage, maybe an hours time
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    I think this is a damned good job for a bolt on.

You probably could've gotten a local welder to do those welds for you and even welded on some pipe for the weight storage, maybe an hours time
    If I rented a welded I could of welded up a lot of it myself, but to be honest I wanted it to be bolted so I can easily transport the rack when we move.

It could of been a little prettier welded but this was the cheapest way of building it.

It is very strong, functional and cost effective :-)

Here are the additional photos of the plate storage upgraded to M20 threaded rod, (just a little larger than 3/4") and then 25mm" (1") conduit has been placed over it.
    I'm going to install 32mm conduit over the 25mm conduit in the week.

Here are the images.

EEB_27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EEB_27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EEB_27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EEB_27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EEB_27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EEB_27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EEB_27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EEB_27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EEB_27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EEB_27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EEB_27 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nice work!

I been wanting to do something similar to the rack I bought last summer.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #27 ()---()

dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I built these homemade racks and put one on each side...they hold about 250 lbs each and as placed do not interfere with any lifts, yet still allow the rack to stay against a wall.

"ive made the most impressive gains when i spent months with the heavy dumbbells and left the power rack cowering in the corner like the b**ch that it is"-anonymous

"sometimes when a mans alone, thats all you got is your dog"

"he fakes to the left. no. he fakes to the right. he doesnt fake. he thinks about faking. he pretends to fake. i dont know where i am. i cant breathe"

chobs will become famous soon enough. (+50) chobs will become famous soon enough. (+50) chobs will become famous soon enough. (+50) chobs will become famous soon enough. (+50) chobs will become famous soon enough. (+50) chobs will become famous soon enough. (+50) chobs will become famous soon enough. (+50) chobs will become famous soon enough. (+50) chobs will become famous soon enough. (+50) chobs will become famous soon enough. (+50) chobs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dskoo65 View Post
    I built these homemade racks and put one on each side...they hold about 250 lbs each and as placed do not interfere with any lifts, yet still allow the rack to stay against a wall.

Can you post more pics/instructions of how you made that?

And to OP, very good work, nice! Too bad it seems to be such a a narrow room you work out in though, looks like it might be trouble to make it around the barbell without brushing up against the wall?

dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by chobs View Post
    Can you post more pics/instructions of how you made that?

And to OP, very good work, nice! Too bad it seems to be such a a narrow room you work out in though, looks like it might be trouble to make it around the barbell without brushing up against the wall?
    I got the idea from this thread I had found.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=12678

its all 2x4 construction and 3 inch long 1/4" lag bolts (through each side rail and into the post...one high one low so the posts are stable), so that dictates the width of the "rails" that hold the weight. I made the posts where the smaller weights would be shorter so I wouldn't be scraping my hands on them.

I sold the rack and plate holders so I don't know any exact measurements....but I do know I made sure each post was a length that was between half and 2/3 of the diameter of the plate it would be holding. painted with black rustoleum hammered.
    "ive made the most impressive gains when i spent months with the heavy dumbbells and left the power rack cowering in the corner like the b**ch that it is"-anonymous

"sometimes when a mans alone, thats all you got is your dog"

"he fakes to the left. no. he fakes to the right. he doesnt fake. he thinks about faking. he pretends to fake. i dont know where i am. i cant breathe"