dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Arrow I challenge you all to give me a lower body program!

Okay gang, I have a challenge for you all.

Next Tues I get a hip re-replaced.

This will be my third such operation on like 4 years because one implant failed. Over time I have learned that basically squats and dead lifts are out beyond maybe 50lbs, and even that is probably not the best thing for me.

So I need a good lower body workout that would accomplish as much as possible what squats and DLs would do -- without actually doubt them or loading a lot of weight on my hips.

You can see my gear below.

Suggestions?
    ▪█───────█▪

Ivanko Barbell Crew Member #6

My Gear:

Lamar Rack w/lat & row setup
    Ironmasters DB's with add on package
    1000 lbs of Ivanko OM Plates
    Ironmaster Super Bench
    Parabody Roman Chair
    Precor 546 Elliptical
    Concept II rower Model D w/PM4

▪█───────█▪

I've had bi-lateral hip replacement.
    Ask me anything about it.

Apod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Apod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Apod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Apod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Apod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Apod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Apod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Apod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Apod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Apod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Apod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Have you talked with your dr/phys therapist about this yet? I think that'd be the 1st place to go.

shogun91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would honestly recommend you get specific exercises from your physio rather than a bunch of gym goers.

dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Un looking for ideas from 'the crowd' here. I'll take to the med professionals later.
    ▪█───────█▪

My Gear:

Ironmaster Super Bench
    Parabody Roman Chair
    Precor 546 Elliptical

▪█───────█▪

bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Apod View Post
    Have you talked with your dr/phys therapist about this yet? I think that'd be the 1st place to go.
    this. speak with a therapist about the appropriate exercises.

you could also try elaborating on the type of surgery your having and sending a Q&A to Dave Tate at elitefts.com
    He recently had a hip replacement and it in the rehab/recovery process. He could maybe shed some light on how he's going about it.
    his training log:

http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/training-..._N=Dave%20Tate

Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Being that I am an internet forum user and I know just about everything, I will help you out.

Definitely don't talk to anyone other than people online to figure out what you should do.

I recommend this 13 week program for your legs:

OFFISHAL LEG WORKOUT PLAN FOR HIP REPLACMENT:

Wall checks --> 10 sets of 15
    This is where you run at a wall and jump into it sideways performing a hip check. This will not work on dry wall. Find a Brick or steel wall to perform these on.

Split leg forced stretch --> 10 sets for 60 sec each
    You know that movie rambo? maybe it was blood thirst.. I can't remember, anyway they do these stretches where they basically force your legs apart. Find two rings hanging from a pullup par and put your feet in. Then stand on them and spread your legs. You should feel this in your glutes too!

Coconut drops --> 10 sets of progressively higher hieght starting at 5 meters.
    I think it was the same movie. A lot of good training for hip replacements come from 80s action movies. This is where you lie on the forrest floor and have someone in a tree drop a coconut on your abs. YOu will want to focus on your lower abs because they connect directly to your hip bone.

Round house kicks --> 10 sets of 100 in your parents garage.
    If you dont have a punching bag try to find a bag of leaves or a garbage can. Since you have a weak hip you will need to practice roundhouse kicks. BAd guys will target you and you will need to defense.

Constricting waste wrap --> 10 sets of 15
    Find some lifting bands. If you don't have bands tie a bunch of those really thick rubber bands together. wrap them around your waste and with your arms, pull it as tight as you can. This will reenforce those stabilizing muscles inside your bone marrow.

Follow my advice and you will be rip lean shredded even with a lame hip.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would start by trying to walk again and go upstairs and downstairs...take it from there, dude.

I've had a few family members now go through hip replacement and you have bigger problems coming up than perfecting your physique. Do what the Dr's tell you and read as much as you can from folks who have had this done would be my recommendation.

You're also a really young guy to be getting this...what happened?

RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Smancers View Post
    Being that I am an internet forum user and I know just about everything, I will help you out.

Definitely don't talk to anyone other than people online to figure out what you should do.

This is where you run at a wall and jump into it sideways performing a hip check. This will not work on dry wall. Find a Brick or steel wall to perform these on.

You know that movie rambo? maybe it was blood thirst.. I can't remember, anyway they do these stretches where they basically force your legs apart. Find two rings hanging from a pullup par and put your feet in. Then stand on them and spread your legs. You should feel this in your glutes too!

I think it was the same movie. A lot of good training for hip replacements come from 80s action movies. This is where you lie on the forrest floor and have someone in a tree drop a coconut on your abs. YOu will want to focus on your lower abs because they connect directly to your hip bone.

If you dont have a punching bag try to find a bag of leaves or a garbage can. Since you have a weak hip you will need to practice roundhouse kicks. BAd guys will target you and you will need to defense.

Find some lifting bands. If you don't have bands tie a bunch of those really thick rubber bands together. wrap them around your waste and with your arms, pull it as tight as you can. This will reenforce those stabilizing muscles inside your bone marrow.

This. Repped for mad knowledge.

Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    I would start by trying to walk again and go upstairs and downstairs...take it from there, dude.

I've had a few family members now go through hip replacement and you have bigger problems coming up than perfecting your physique. Do what the Dr's tell you and read as much as you can from folks who have had this done would be my recommendation.

You're also a really young guy to be getting this...what happened?
    Rehabbing from this is no issue, been there, done that 2x already. Seriously, that is the easy part.

The hard part is no doc will advise you to do heavy weight bearing squats or DLs with hip replacements, people do it. But it is not advised for various reasons. In fact I was doing some, but with one hip failing (not due to weights), i want to explore other exercises that may accomplish as much without the doing the big two.

As to why, when I was 15 I had pins put in one leg for a growth issue. That hip on X-rays later looked like it had hip dysplaysia, but functioned until around 2007. The surgery also left that leg about 3/4 inch shorter than the other one.

Anyway, now I already had one bad hip destined to wear out, with that leg being shorter that the other. I tended to favor the good leg more. Between that and physical imbalance, both hips ended up with labial tears, where the linings in the hip sockets wore with resulting intermittent pain.

Hence two replacements, all destined when I was 15 yrs old.

The re-replacement now is because the hip cup in one hip, which should have an optimal 45 degree angle and an acceptable 30-50 degree angle, shifted post surgery to a 21 degree angle off vertical. That too was destined to fail and it has.

I have a good attitude about it all, and am an 'educated consumer' in that I know the issues, and the options. And for all those who say talk to a PT I understand your position. However this is a BIG community of smart people and I want to see what people come up with here.
    ▪█───────█▪

My Gear:

Ironmaster Super Bench
    Parabody Roman Chair
    Precor 546 Elliptical

▪█───────█▪

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dnb View Post
    Rehabbing from this is no issue, been there, done that 2x already. Seriously, that is the easy part.

The hard part is no doc will advise you to do heavy weight bearing squats or DLs with hip replacements, people do it. But it is not advised for various reasons. In fact I was doing some, but with one hip failing (not due to weights), i want to explore other exercises that may accomplish as much without the doing the big two.

As to why, when I was 15 I had pins put in one leg for a growth issue. That hip on X-rays later looked like it had hip dysplaysia, but functioned until around 2007. The surgery also left that leg about 3/4 inch shorter than the other one.

Anyway, now I already had one bad hip destined to wear out, with that leg being shorter that the other. I tended to favor the good leg more. Between that and physical imbalance, both hips ended up with labial tears, where the linings in the hip sockets wore with resulting intermittent pain.

Hence two replacements, all destined when I was 15 yrs old.

The re-replacement now is because the hip cup in one hip, which should have an optimal 45 degree angle and an acceptable 30-50 degree angle, shifted post surgery to a 21 degree angle off vertical. That too was destined to fail and it has.

I have a good attitude about it all, and am an 'educated consumer' in that I know the issues, and the options. And for all those who say talk to a PT I understand your position. However this is a BIG community of smart people and I want to see what people come up with here.
    good luck with everything! so are you really thinking about trying to think about things that isolate say quads/hams/calfs but then don't involve your hip or back much?

that would pretty much rule out anything with a hinge movement in it...squats and dl variants...i wouldn't even know what to guess except for leg curls and extensions....GHR's...I would say a reverse hyper even though it does involve your hip the forces have got to be different than say good mornings because of the support on your stomach. Maybe even just sled dragging because the range of motion isn't that great like a squat yet you still do work...you're unfortunately going to have to just try out what you can deal with i think. best of luck to you with the rehab and beyond.

Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    good luck with everything! so are you really thinking about trying to think about things that isolate say quads/hams/calfs but then don't involve your hip or back much?

that would pretty much rule out anything with a hinge movement in it...squats and dl variants...i wouldn't even know what to guess except for leg curls and extensions....GHR's...I would say a reverse hyper even though it does involve your hip the forces have got to be different than say good mornings because of the support on your stomach. Maybe even just sled dragging because the range of motion isn't that great like a squat yet you still do work...you're unfortunately going to have to just try out what you can deal with i think. best of luck to you with the rehab and beyond.
    Yeah, prettying isolation exercises without the weight bearing on the hips
    Much, but flexion is fine.

It's quite the conundrum.
    ▪█───────█▪

My Gear:

Ironmaster Super Bench
    Parabody Roman Chair
    Precor 546 Elliptical

▪█───────█▪

Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Smancers View Post

I lol'd +rep