Registered User KillerBoots_Man's Avatar
    KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)

ws4sb vs. ss - basketball

Hey everyone, so I have been doing ws4sb3 for the past 9 weeks or so and liking it pretty good. I've come to realize though that I may be better off doing SS again (did it awhile back but got injured). Due to this injury, my bench is pretty decent but my squat is terrible (I'm embarrased to say its only 185x5). But it is because I wasnt able to squat for probably 6 months or longer. Now my problem is that I play basketball somewhat intensely on Thursdays for pickup games and shoot/dribble drills/games of 21, etc. usually on Mon. Wed. and sometimes Fri. or Sat. Would I still be better off doing SS squatting on MWF, or doing ws4sb doing only sprints/jumping on Wed. and Max effort lower body on Sat. I want to do SS to get my squat up but Im afraid I wont be able to with that schedule. I also like the sprints and jump training I will do on ws4sb for basketball. Thanks for any advice!

cliffs: ws4sb or SS while playing basketball pretty regularly

KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bump

JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you only play basketball once per week, it won't affect anything but your Friday workout. I'd just do SS and not increase the weights on Fridays.

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You would only get injured if you trained to failure. You need to go up slowly and follow the program properly. You may have to start at a lower weight to get the proper form and to allow you enough energy to play basketball. You could also train twice a week instead of three times a week. You won't go up as fast, but you'll still make progress.

marchballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) marchballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) marchballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) marchballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) marchballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) marchballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) marchballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) marchballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) marchballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) marchballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) marchballer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    After 3 weeks of doing SS your legs start to ge used to squatting 3 times a week and it affect your basketbal that much. If you moved that Friday workout to Saturday then I think you would be golden. Just eat a ton and get plenty of sleep because after a couple of months those lifts get very difficult.

RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by lsiberian View Post
    You would only get injured if you trained to failure.
    Not true. You are most likely to get injured when form breaks down. This can happen well before failure.

The rest of this is pretty good:

You need to go up slowly and follow the program properly. You may have to start at a lower weight to get the proper form and to allow you enough energy to play basketball. You could also train twice a week instead of three times a week. You won't go up as fast, but you'll still make progress.

prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by RockCrab View Post
    Not true. You are most likely to get injured when form breaks down. This can happen well before failure.
    I can't agree more. I finished a cycle of Smolov without hitting failure, but I ruined my knees (they are still recovering months later) by completing many reps with "caved in" knees.

OP you are going to have to decide what you want more at the moment - to play basketball or to have a big squat. My recommendation is to do SS for a couple of months and deprioritize basketball, then start WS4SB once your squat max is above 300. WS4SB is GREAT if you follow it 100% as written, as you will steadily progress on all the lifts and will still be able to play sports pretty intensely.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by RockCrab View Post
    True though if the reps are not executed properly you are not supposed to up the weight. For example a squat is executed in a certain way. If your form breaks down and you good morning the bar, you didn't really do a "squat" as it's prescribed to be done so you might as well consider it a failed rep. Consistent form is important when strength training because you don't know if you are really progressing unless each rep is done the same.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i think you ought to stick with ws4sb. it's more flexible, and lifting heavy two days a week as well as rotating your exercises is going to be more sustainable than SS if you're really focused on a sport. OR...just say f' it and do SS as well as you can realizing you may burn out sooner rather than later and then switch.

if you're main goal is sports then don't do a routine just for it's own sake, do what works in your favor. if you feel trashed all the time once you're nearing limits of SS i doubt that is going to help your BB performance.

ws4sb or a real westside template is something you could do indefinitely and progress.

well bball isnt of upmost importance to me but I do want to improve at it that is why I do shooting/dribbling drills. I would like to squat more mostly so that I can improve my vertical. Basically I like ws4sb better but I'm wondering if I will miss out on something if I dont do SS while I can?