Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Jbtyson View Post
    Well according to the running store I have a neutral gait, high arches but they don't collapse so overall a pretty good base to run on. The guy said that more than likely due to the location of my shin splints and the way I run, he would guess my gait isn't the issue, it was more of a bad shoe/overuse issue since I hadn't run in so long. He suggested about 5 different shoes to me, but I narrowed it down to two different ones. The Asics Gel Cumulus 15 and the Brooks Ghost 5. Both of them seemed forgiving in the heel area while I am learning to correct my form, and had enough cushion to feel comfortable, but not too bulky.
    Though I am still interested in the Gel Nimbus as well. The one I tried on at foot locker felt more comfortable than the cumulus, but they didn't have my size in so I was trying on the wrong size. The new Nimbus is due to launch this month so I may wait it out and buy the old model on clearance.
    if you are indeed a neutral runner, id recommend at least trying (if you haven't already) the nike zoom vomero 8. it is a neutral plus (designated as suitable for 180+ lb runners) category shoe, where the ghost and cumulus are neutral and haven't held up as well for heavier runners. the gel nimbus is also a neutral plus shoe, so that would be good to try if you can find your size. the vomero is the most cushioned neutral shoe out there and ive seen many with lower leg issues have success with them. still, those are all good shoes for a neutral gait.
    Last edited by dskoo65; 04-10-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    "ive made the most impressive gains when i spent months with the heavy dumbbells and left the power rack cowering in the corner like the b**ch that it is"-anonymous

"sometimes when a mans alone, thats all you got is your dog"

"he fakes to the left. no. he fakes to the right. he doesnt fake. he thinks about faking. he pretends to fake. i dont know where i am. i cant breathe"

Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dskoo65 View Post
    if you are indeed a neutral runner, id recommend at least trying (if you haven't already) the nike zoom vomero 8. it is a neutral plus (designated as suitable for 180+ lb runners) category shoe, where the ghost and cumulus are neutral and haven't held up as well for heavier runners. the gel nimbus is also a neutral plus shoe, so that would be good to try if you can find your size. the vomero is the most cushioned neutral shoe out there and ive seen many with lower leg issues have success with them. still, those are all good shoes for a neutral gait.
    I really have no idea if I am a neutral runner. That is just what I was told today at the running shop. As for the Vomero, no I haven't tried it. Truth be told I started running again two weeks ago for the first time in about 8 years. I have a cheap pair of Avia cantilever shoes. The guy at the shop today said more than likely they were one of the causes of my shin splints.

I liked the ghost a bit better than the cumulus, but if it is true that they don't hold up as well for us hefty folks then I wouldn't be opposed to going a different route. I just want to get the best bang for my buck and help my body out in the meantime. I believe the new nimbus is supposed to launch this month so maybe I will just wait for the 14 to go on sale.

1alphamug is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1alphamug is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1alphamug is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1alphamug is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1alphamug is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1alphamug is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1alphamug is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1alphamug is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1alphamug is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1alphamug is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1alphamug is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I wear brooks...they are great running shoes but I might wait until you get a little more experience as to they are not the most supportive shoe (Very light weight) Asics are great. Nike and Adidas are alright...but not really. Reebok is **** and forever will be.

Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thought I would necro my thread and update that my shin splints are finally starting to feel good again. Though the right leg still hurts if I am crouching down (like in a catcher's position in baseball). I'm going to pay careful attention to it and if it doesn't heal up completely very soon here, I guess I will go get checked for stress fractures.

I did pick up a pair of Gel Cumulus 14 today at Sports Authority. On sale for $79.99. The Nimbus was there as well for $104.99, but they only had the neon yellow and robot silver and orange colors, so I chose the cumulus. We will see how they hold up over time! I will update again as soon as I feel anything, either good or bad,

jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The Asics Gel Nimbus 14 was very comfortable to walk in. No room for me to room in the little foot locker. I would like to think these would be comfortable running too. Unfortunately these are $140. That just seems like an insane amount for a shoe.
    When I first started losing weight a couple of years ago, I bought a pair of these on sale from Dick's for $110. Best investment I could have made at the time. It's a great shoe, I'd recommend going back and buying them.

I'm particular with them, only wear them when I run. I don't wear them out and about, no lifting in them, only wear them for heavy cardio, and I still have them. I was 6'2" and 340 lbs.

Edit: Just saw your post from today, glad you got a good pair of shoes, it really helps when carrying extra weight.

kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Find a local running store and get fitted there. Best money I ever spent.

ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I notice you already bought a shoe from a big box sporting goods store. In the future, I agree with others that advise you to get fitted at a specialty running store. They can take a video and analyze it if you like. I did this and bought my first pair there (due to them taking the time). Once I knew my shoe, and size, I bought all subsequent pairs online (runnerswarehouse) and paid 1/3 of what I paid in the store. I ended up with the Brooks Beast and love them. You'll end up paying about the same you would at a big box store, but you will get a much BETTER grade shoe.

dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ajohnson5080 View Post
    I notice you already bought a shoe from a big box sporting goods store. In the future, I agree with others that advise you to get fitted at a specialty running store. They can take a video and analyze it if you like. I did this and bought my first pair there (due to them taking the time). Once I knew my shoe, and size, I bought all subsequent pairs online (runnerswarehouse) and paid 1/3 of what I paid in the store. I ended up with the Brooks Beast and love them. You'll end up paying about the same you would at a big box store, but you will get a much BETTER grade shoe.
    one can buy the brooks beast at sporting goods stores as well. most chain sporting goods stores sell primarily the same shoes, they simply lack the experts who can analyze gait. the beast is no better of a shoe than the gel cumulus. it is just a different category shoe...motion control...and many who are neutral runners will not find the beast or any other motion control shoe very comfortable. it sounds like he has higher arches and a neutral gait. higher arches very often go hand in hand with a neutral gait so that may well be accurate. if that is the case, the gel cumulus will be a much better shoe than the brooks beast. neutral runners have often described the beast as feeling like running with two boards attached to their feet. it is a fine motion control shoe, but the price a runner pays for the motion control is giving up flexibility and cushioning.
    "ive made the most impressive gains when i spent months with the heavy dumbbells and left the power rack cowering in the corner like the b**ch that it is"-anonymous

"he fakes to the left. no. he fakes to the right. he doesnt fake. he thinks about faking. he pretends to fake. i dont know where i am. i cant breathe"

I had my gait analysed at a local running store a few weeks ago. I purchased the shoes that were suggested to me by that expert at Sports Authority because they were on sale. Spending the extra $40 doesn't buy me a better version of the same shoe. I did like the brooks ghost that I tried on at the running store, but no better than the nimbus or cumulus. Thanks for the input though!

kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kfh227 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Specialty ruining stores are in the service business, not the commodity business. If you go there, please buy from them.

Originally Posted by kfh227 View Post
    Specialty ruining stores are in the service business, not the commodity business. If you go there, please buy from them.
    I understand, and would if I could afford it. Unfortunately, when money is tight, I can't stick my neck out so some other little guy can make a buck. I've gotta pinch pennies so I can make it first.

ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dskoo65 View Post
    one can buy the brooks beast at sporting goods stores as well. most chain sporting goods stores sell primarily the same shoes, they simply lack the experts who can analyze gait. the beast is no better of a shoe than the gel cumulus. it is just a different category shoe...motion control...and many who are neutral runners will not find the beast or any other motion control shoe very comfortable. it sounds like he has higher arches and a neutral gait. higher arches very often go hand in hand with a neutral gait so that may well be accurate. if that is the case, the gel cumulus will be a much better shoe than the brooks beast. neutral runners have often described the beast as feeling like running with two boards attached to their feet. it is a fine motion control shoe, but the price a runner pays for the motion control is giving up flexibility and cushioning.

Perhaps you didn't understand me. I didn't say you couldn't buy a shoe like a Brooks Beast at a major sporting goods store. I said you should buy them online as they are about 1/3 cheaper and allow you to buy a better grade shoe for the price. For example, the Beast is sold for 129.00 Dick's Sporting Goods. I picked them up for 65 bucks, shipped, at Runnerswarehourse. 65 bucks at DSG would not buy you that grade of shoe. Also, I wasn't recommending the Beast to the OP, just sharing my experience. This is the one thing that annoys me about this site. It is filled with "nit pickers" who try and disprove everyone's posts/opinions......

Originally Posted by ajohnson5080 View Post
    Perhaps you didn't understand me. I didn't say you couldn't buy a shoe like a Brooks Beast at a major sporting goods store. I said you should buy them online as they are about 1/3 cheaper and allow you to buy a better grade shoe for the price. For example, the Beast is sold for 129.00 Dick's Sporting Goods. I picked them up for 65 bucks, shipped, at Runnerswarehourse. 65 bucks at DSG would not buy you that grade of shoe. Also, I wasn't recommending the Beast to the OP, just sharing my experience. This is the one thing that annoys me about this site. It is filled with "nit pickers" who try and disprove everyone's posts/opinions......
    right. your post wasn't clear, imo. therefore, I don't think I was nit picking. gotta learn to relax...not everything is clear with the written word. clarifying your stance is the logical way to go. complaining this site is full of "nit pickers"..not so much.

Bringing it back from the dead again. I haven't been out on a run/walk since I last posted until two days ago - taking caution with the shin splints and doing other cardio. Finally got a chance to go on a walk to break the shoes in a bit. 3 miles later and I have blisters on the sides of my feet. So, needless to say, these won't be worn again. Just plain not wide enough for my giant foot. So if any other big dudes out there have wide feet, steer clear of the gel cumulus 14. I can't say anything about the new version, but the 14 just isn't wide enough and I was told Asics doesn't offer wide sizes.

soleracks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know, on a body building site there probably isn't a whole lot of runners, but I figure there has to be someone who is knowledgeable about these things. I did a search and it seems like it hasn't been talked about hardly at all in the last 5 years. I imagine new and improved types of shoes have come out in that time. I truly don't care much for running, but until I can afford a gym membership, that is my cardio option!

Here is to hoping I don't have to go and join a running forum and make one post just to hear all sorts of string beans tell me I am too fat to run.

You may want to consider checking out athletic shoes stores online for "Motion Control" running shoes. Overweight people tend to overpronate and, if the case , you may want to protect yourself from injuries to your lower body caused by too much shock absorbed by your feet. Best is to check out your arch type and go from there.

Tounx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tounx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tounx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tounx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tounx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tounx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tounx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tounx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tounx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tounx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tounx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I know, on a body building site there probably isn't a whole lot of runners, but I figure there has to be someone who is knowledgeable about these things. I did a search and it seems like it hasn't been talked about hardly at all in the last 5 years. I imagine new and improved types of shoes have come out in that time. I truly don't care much for running, but until I can afford a gym membership, that is my cardio option!

Here is to hoping I don't have to go and join a running forum and make one post just to hear all sorts of string beans tell me I am too fat to run.
    This ain't a bad shoe: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...BLYOBIMDS2GOQI

Ej63090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ej63090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ej63090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ej63090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ej63090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ej63090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ej63090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ej63090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ej63090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ej63090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ej63090 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What's funny is earlier in the thread he said he really didn't care for running. For the amount he's spending on running shoes he could easily afford kettle bells or dumbells and get a great cardiovascular workout from either without fussing over shoes and shin splints.

59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by soleracks View Post
    You may want to consider checking out athletic shoes stores online for "Motion Control" running shoes. Overweight people tend to overpronate and, if the case , you may want to protect yourself from injuries to your lower body caused by too much shock absorbed by your feet. Best is to check out your arch type and go from there.
    I know I suggested it earlier in this thread, but check out Saucony, they pretty much dominate in the motion control shoes for heavy runners.