felisou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Forearm/Elbow Tendentious

Hey all,

Just want some advice regarding an issue which has kept me out of the gym for going on to 4 weeks now.

I often have flare ups of elbow/forearm tendonitis. I have had ultrasounds done and whilst they showed that there was no serious inflammation or obvious tearing, the pain is still enough to prohibit me lifting.

Over the past weeks, I have done almost everything I can to try and heal - stretches, strengthening exercises, massage etc. Whilst they have gotten better, they still don't feel 100% "right."

Does anyone have any advice on how to best remedy this so that I can go back to lifting? More-so, does anyone know when it is a go idea to even go back at all?

Thank you!

felisou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    190 views no response? Come on guys!

tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tokelift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have had the same issue. Took 2-3 months to heal. Just curious, how many sets of bicep exercises did you do a week?

Misanthropist is just really nice. (+1000) Misanthropist is just really nice. (+1000) Misanthropist is just really nice. (+1000) Misanthropist is just really nice. (+1000) Misanthropist is just really nice. (+1000) Misanthropist is just really nice. (+1000) Misanthropist is just really nice. (+1000) Misanthropist is just really nice. (+1000) Misanthropist is just really nice. (+1000) Misanthropist is just really nice. (+1000) Misanthropist is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by felisou View Post
    190 views no response? Come on guys!
    I'm guessing most people don't want to respond without knowledge.

We have sports and injury physiotherapists here in Australia. Maybe visit one of them? Other than that...do exercises that won't involve the elbow/forearm much until they heal. They're not just going to heal if you get back into lifting. Give them a bit more time.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can respond.

It's unfortunate that most doctors will tell you to stop lifting because they don't really understand or care about body building. Find a doctor who looks 'built'? lol or just go see a sports and injury physio. It'll cost around $60 at least, but one session should give you some information on what you can and can't do.

mx5112002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had tendinitis for a couple years the thing that helped me the most was taking a break from curling exercises I added cissus to my supplementation and worked on strengthening my forearms I tied a string to a 2.5 lb weight on one end and a short stick on the other and rolled it up and down for three sets of three three times a week I have no pain now but still haven't worked up to curling heavy again

Noriki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Noriki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Noriki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Noriki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Noriki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Noriki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have the same problem 1 month ago, rest for a week and just slightly better. Bought a elbow strap and stop doing curl, hopefully can get better.

Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The best solution I've found is to work around by doing variations of movements that keep aggravation to a minimum. For example, many find supinated grip curls, rows, and chinups aggravate tendonitis. In this case, you can opt for pronate and/or neutral grip for all this stuff. If all grips of chinups/pullups bother you, focus on several types of rows. Etc, etc.

Also, do stuff to strengthen your forearms, stuff like deadlifts, farmers walks, maybe some reverse curls and forearm curls if you like, static holds, etc.

j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by felisou View Post
    Hey all,

Just want some advice regarding an issue which has kept me out of the gym for going on to 4 weeks now.

I often have flare ups of elbow/forearm tendonitis. I have had ultrasounds done and whilst they showed that there was no serious inflammation or obvious tearing, the pain is still enough to prohibit me lifting.

Over the past weeks, I have done almost everything I can to try and heal - stretches, strengthening exercises, massage etc. Whilst they have gotten better, they still don't feel 100% "right."

Does anyone have any advice on how to best remedy this so that I can go back to lifting? More-so, does anyone know when it is a go idea to even go back at all?

Thank you!
    It's been my experience with my own tendonitis that there is probably something mechanically not functioning properly in your arm somewhere or you put more stress on the area than it can reasonably handle. Connective tissue takes longer to build up than muscles so you might just be straining it too hard like with too much isolation work which overloads the joint. It could also be the joint isn't functioning properly in the first place. It's probably best to see a sports medicine doctor that is familiar with athletic injuries and how to repair them.
    "When you fall into a pit, you either die or get out."

bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    cut out skull crushers and barbell extensions.

do high rep curls/pushdowns and see if that helps.

BigBaddaBoomo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBaddaBoomo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBaddaBoomo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBaddaBoomo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBaddaBoomo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBaddaBoomo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBaddaBoomo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBaddaBoomo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBaddaBoomo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBaddaBoomo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBaddaBoomo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had a similar elbow/forearm problem. Outside surface, what they call golfer's elbow, I think. Anyhow, laid off for weeks, no help. It would get bad again after one or two workouts.

Ran across this video:

www(dot)mobilitywod(dot)com/2012/04/banish-your-elbow-pain-you-dont-really-play-golf-or-tennis-do-you(dot)html

Got me a band and started flossing. Hurts like hell, but holy crap, it worked. It took a while, though. I'd floss about once/day and maybe after about 2 months, I forgot I even had the elbow issue. Never stopped working out during this time either.

youngwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) youngwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) youngwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) youngwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) youngwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) youngwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) youngwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) youngwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) youngwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) youngwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) youngwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
    cut out skull crushers and barbell extensions.

do high rep curls/pushdowns and see if that helps.
    This is what im doing but i find my triceps lack. How the f**k do you build tris without skulls and barbell extensions

JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had this problem for a few months late last year. I got a wrist band, didn't work, stopped doing bi's for a few weeks, didn't work, and finally I started doing very light high rep curls with the cable machine as well a light rows. Over time the pain subsided, and I was able to get heavier and heavier every week until I was back to normal. I talked to a buddy of mine who's in med school after the fact and he said that the high rep light sets increased the blood flow and help speed the healing up. Now, if that's right or not, I have no idea, but for whatever reason, it worked.

JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by youngwiz View Post
    This is what im doing but i find my triceps lack. How the f**k do you build tris without skulls and barbell extensions
    Dips

BayerZ28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been dealing with this for a couple years now. Got it from nailing base angle lags on a pre-fab building for 9 hours with a framing hammer. I asked my chiropractor for help and he gave me a wrap similar to one I have a link for but can't post it due to my no0b post count. Google elbow band tendinitis. They should have them at either CVS or Wallgreens.

Basically it moves the "pulling" point of the muscle to where the bump is on the wrap and allows the tendons to the elbow to regrow. it's a sore spot for me still but a lot better than it was. It's not going to be a quick recovery. I've been either in mechanics or construction my whole life so I'm screwed either way.

When you make a fist, the forearm muscle that flexes near the elbow is where the bump of the wrap should be. -About 2 fingers away from the elbow joint. Should have reasonable tension on it. Just going to have to take it easy. Like I said, mine was from prolonged use of a hammer that was too big for the job, so if you imagine that motion, that's what was bothering me.
    Last edited by BayerZ28; 04-08-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    6'3" @ 190 32 y/o. No real measurements yet, 1yr novice.
    No foreseeable end to this. It'd either be lifting or running.

Registered User devilsrule61287's Avatar
    devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm having some pain around the inner elbow, since I think the end of the tricep tendon is enflamed. During heavy tricep/pushing exercises, when the tendon is snapping back and forth over the inner bone of the elbow, it is becoming painful (no pain at all during biceps/pulling exercises). Feels like the tricep tendon is irritated. Outside of the gym, no pain at all, and only starts hurting after a few weighted tricep exercises. Things like dips, skullcrushers, even shoulder press, start to hurt a lot around that inner elbow bone when the tendon snaps around it. I guess rest is key.