carolinaump is on a distinguished road. (+10) carolinaump is on a distinguished road. (+10) carolinaump is on a distinguished road. (+10) carolinaump is on a distinguished road. (+10) carolinaump is on a distinguished road. (+10) carolinaump is on a distinguished road. (+10) carolinaump is on a distinguished road. (+10) carolinaump is on a distinguished road. (+10) carolinaump is on a distinguished road. (+10) carolinaump is on a distinguished road. (+10) carolinaump is on a distinguished road. (+10)

BJJ guys/girls I need advice

Entering my first BJJ tournament and I'm really excited yet nervous. Any advice on staying focused leading up to the tournament and during the match(es)?

johnsonvt is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonvt is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonvt is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonvt is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonvt is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonvt is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonvt is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonvt is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonvt is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonvt is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonvt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Not much experience in BJJ. Had A little training in that area but I have done a few years of wrestling. But same concept, because it is just you and the other person out there. So first thing I would suggest is to not over think it. The night before I would just relax. Go to the gym maybe if thats what helps you relax but keep it VERY light. Another big thing is your DIET, keep it normal and keep eating healthy. Before the match just make sure you are loose and ready to go. Think about what you have learned and how you can apply it in certain situations. But remember not to over think it. Because once you are on the mat you will most likely forget everything and it will all come down to your instincts and what you have learned. Sorry I couldn't help any more or give you any more specifics but if I can help any more you can send me message. Good luck man and hope it goes well!

pedestrian1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How long you been training? My only advice is that learning how to compete is another skill and the more you practice it the easier it gets. No matter what happens don't let it discourage you. Don't over think what you're going to due either. (I'm assuming you're a whitebelt)

Have fun! You'll be focused during your matches... someone is trying to choke you/break your arm/destroy your shoulder and you're trying to do the same

JiuJitsuAddict is not very well liked. (-100) JiuJitsuAddict is not very well liked. (-100) JiuJitsuAddict is not very well liked. (-100) JiuJitsuAddict is not very well liked. (-100) JiuJitsuAddict is not very well liked. (-100) JiuJitsuAddict is not very well liked. (-100) JiuJitsuAddict is not very well liked. (-100) JiuJitsuAddict is not very well liked. (-100) JiuJitsuAddict is not very well liked. (-100) JiuJitsuAddict is not very well liked. (-100) JiuJitsuAddict is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by carolinaump View Post
    Entering my first BJJ tournament and I'm really excited yet nervous. Any advice on staying focused leading up to the tournament and during the match(es)?
    First tip: RELAX! The worst thing that happens is you tap... in that case oh well back to the gym/club to tighten up the holes in your game. No one is going to judge you. In fact, most people that will judge you don't have the balls to step onto those mats or into a cage to fight. In which case, who cares what they say.
    Second tip: Those nerves that will drive you crazy are a good thing. Your body is getting ready for battle. Important thing here, don't freak out at this. Your nerves are preparation and that voice in your head telling you it's cuz your not ready is a liar.
    Third Tip: Listen to people who have competed in Jiu Jitsu before. If your friend is a hockey player and trying to give you advice, listen (don't insult him) but keep in mind that it's completely different. Worst case scenario is they can spin you out. Listen to your coaches and fellow trainees.
    Fourth Tip: Video record your matches so that you can go back and learn from it. Your memory will skew what happened and you want always remember/see everything.

All in all just go have fun. I love competing just for the simple fact that it can fasttrack your progress. I learned more in prepping and fighting in one tournament than I did recreationally in 3 months. It's a great experience and the more tournaments you do, the better you will be able to handle the stress of competing. Also, think of competition as your report card. It will tell you how you've done, where you need improvements and where you've been successful. I would advise most Jiu Jitsu practitioners to compete for this very reason.
    If you have any questions, worries, concerns or just want general advice/talk about BJJ comps, send me a PM.
    Good luck!

Kavliaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kavliaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kavliaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kavliaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kavliaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kavliaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kavliaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kavliaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kavliaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kavliaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kavliaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First tournaments are usually full of nerves.

Some even experience an adrenalin drop once the match starts and "freeze." During my first few tournaments, I had to run to the bathroom before my first match so I wouldn't crap my pants...so...

I recommend you get in a good warm up. Get a nice sweat going. If you have a fellow classmate there, do some extremely light rolling. Move from position to position. Remember, you've done this before. The only difference is the setting. Don't psyche yourself out.

Most important thing to remember - you never lose in BJJ, you only learn. Tournaments will accelerate your skill level.

Kudos to you for putting it out there at a tournament setting.

Final piece of advice, have a loose game plan in your head. Don't go in "blind." Think to yourself - take down, pass guard, control position, submission etc. (Don't freak out if your game doesn't go as planned. Survive and push your game. Be aggressive).

"Position before submissions!"

And HAVE FUN!!!!!

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by carolinaump View Post
    You in NC? You doing the Greensboro sub only?

If you've never had a tournament don't worry...they're actually a lot of fun and on the local level you really have nothing to worry about. You may lose them all or win a couple and lose a couple, but don't lose any sleep over this.

My advice would be to focus on getting the takedown and playing top game. Don't get impatient and pull guard. Get a dominant grip and throw them and break their grips down if they lock you up standing and just stand there like frankenstein.

Don't forget to bring some toilet paper. You never know what kind of dungeon this event is going to be held in.

KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The thing that makes me more comfortable is that you should remember that you are going there to experience and learn! There is no loosing.
    Pokemon X and Y crew FC: 5215-0470-3034 (X)