ramones951 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Number of lifts per wrokout

Hello all,

I was curious if I'm doing enough in the gym to quickly build muscle. For example, on a normal chest-tri day I will do:

3x8 Dumbbell bench or barbell bench
    3x8 Incline dumbbell bench or incline bench
    3x8 decline barbell bench

After completing all of those my chest and tri's are toast. Some days if I have something left I will do some fly's or skull crushers, but I feel like those are the 3 most effective excersises. Is that enough to be effective?

Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ramones951 View Post
    Hello all,

I was curious if I'm doing enough in the gym to quickly build muscle. For example, on a normal chest-tri day I will do:

After completing all of those my chest and tri's are toast. Some days if I have something left I will do some fly's or skull crushers, but I feel like those are the 3 most effective excersises. Is that enough to be effective?
    I'd throw in a tricep isolation or two as pressing movements tend to not hit the long head of the tricep. The lying tricep extension is great, I love this movement, as well as overhead tricep extensions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rh3MHnRI_I

Here's the proper form to get the most out of the lying tricep extension.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Hello all,

Three words that should never be used in the same sentence: "quickly build muscle."
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Three words that should never be used in the same sentence: "quickly build muscle."
    Okay, I guess I should have phrased it differently. I know it won't happen fast, just wanted to know if I should be doing more.

Thanks for the info guys.

BayerZ28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello all,

I was curious if I'm doing enough in the gym to effectively build muscle. For example, on a normal chest-tri day I will do:

Fixed....

And are you targeting size or strength? Two different routines, but can hit both with the right setup.

I do 5x5 routine push/pull.

Push day is:
    Flat bench
    Upright press
    Cable Flys
    Skull crushers

Originally Posted by BayerZ28 View Post
    Fixed....

And are you targeting size or strength? Two different routines, but can hit both with the right setup.

I do 5x5 routine push/pull.

Push day is:
    Flat bench
    Upright press
    Cable Flys
    Skull crushers
    Honestly both eventually. I suppose right now I'm focusing more on strength because I'm doing higher reps. Down the road I will try to bulk up.

I guess I will cycle through which one of my presses I will leave out on tri days and try to incorporate more pulling exercises. Thanks a lot.

BayerZ28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^ I'm not claiming to be an expert on this, but I can offer my $0.02.

I'd focus on one form of bench for 8 weeks, then switch it if you want or when you get bored. I switch my routine every couple months.

And IIRC, higher reps would be for size. Lower reps are for strength training. Ex; a 5x5 is a strength program and 3x10 would be more for size. I think that 3x8 routine may work for size and strength, but I'll wait for someone else to discuss that aspect.

fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BayerZ28 View Post
    ^ I'm not claiming to be an expert on this, but I can offer my $0.02.

I'd focus on one form of bench for 8 weeks, then switch it if you want or when you get bored. I switch my routine every couple months.

And IIRC, higher reps would be for size. Lower reps are for strength training. Ex; a 5x5 is a strength program and 3x10 would be more for size. I think that 3x8 routine may work for size and strength, but I'll wait for someone else to discuss that aspect.
    This is pretty bad advice. Have some form of flat/decline movement and incline movement. Keep your chest proportional.
    In addition to being an amazing body builder (LOL), I'm also a rapper.
    Check out my group's youtube page:

www.youtube.com/wenthemooneclypse

And my solo youtube page

www.youtube.com/frankielyrical

AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    the key is to make each rep and set count. Keep lifting until you have or are just about to reach positive muscular failure. for a beginner this will always be a few reps further than when your mind tells you to stop.
    "I'll do today what others won't so I can do tomorrow what others can't" - such a fitting quote for bodybuilding!