BeyondTheBench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Importance of Aesthetics

Hey guys, new (teen) member here.

I've been lifting for a couple years, and my strength has gone up quite a bit, though I want it to be higher. That's good and all but I'm not really a person that can be described as "aesthetic". Consequently, I get mocked by people who are more aesthetic than I am. Despite them lifting less, and with worse form than I do. I believe the end product of working out is to see your overall lifting ability improve, so my opinion of those people isn't very high.

I do wrestling, and am not interested in picking up girls, so that's one of the reasons why I believe it is better to have strength than aesthetics. But it may be different for other scenarios. So, I would like to get BB's opinion on this: Which is more important, strength or aesthetics?

Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Almogmon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Rep power OP
    Stats:
    Bench: DB Press, 3 x 7 x 65 (each arm)
    Squat: 4 x 8 x 135
    Dead: 2 x 4 x 245

Goal stats:
    Bench: 315
    Squat: 405
    Dead: 585

Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Hate that word...

Just lift for yourself. Do it to make yourself feel and look big, strong, happy, and confident. If you're doing it just for girls and attention you're doing it for all of the wrong reasons.

Edit: I saw that you clarified in your OP that you aren't which is great but don't do it just to be narcissistic or to get back at the ones that pick on you

Thanks guys. +rep.

Any further opinions would be helpful as well.

danielaq12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danielaq12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danielaq12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danielaq12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danielaq12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danielaq12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danielaq12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danielaq12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danielaq12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danielaq12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danielaq12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Whatever you lift for is more important.

moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000) moimoi123 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    for me aesthetics is more important

strongketchup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) strongketchup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    both are important to me but you're only strong in the gym while aesthetics follow you everywhere

Registered User nicktricktricky's Avatar
    nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by strongketchup View Post
    both are important to me but you're only strong in the gym while aesthetics follow you everywhere
    so much this, repped, get outta the red son

aesthetics are more important in almost every practical situation

especially when women are involved, they could honestly care less about your lifts. its all about dat dere aesthetics.

having high strength is really only relevant to yourself and others who lift, which is a minority of the population.
    *always pick 7 crew*
    *WetBreasts is gonna make it crew*
    *Self-Improvement Crew*

bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BeyondTheBench View Post
    Hey guys, new (teen) member here.

I've been lifting for a couple years, and my strength has gone up quite a bit, though I want it to be higher. That's good and all but I'm not really a person that can be described as "aesthetic". Consequently, I get mocked by people who are more aesthetic than I am. Despite them lifting less, and with worse form than I do. I believe the end product of working out is to see your overall lifting ability improve, so my opinion of those people isn't very high.

I do wrestling, and am not interested in picking up girls, so that's one of the reasons why I believe it is better to have strength than aesthetics. But it may be different for other scenarios. So, I would like to get BB's opinion on this: Which is more important, strength or aesthetics?
    ITT: OP lifts to pin sweaty men to the floor and admits he's isn't interested in girls because he swings for the same team.

Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500) Scott527 is not very helpful. (-500)
    "Aesthetics" come naturally when you train hard and lift heavy. Just don't let it be your main motive for working out...looking good and trying to impress others or get back at them. Do it to be strong, confident, and happy with yourself as I initially posted and you're good to go

Originally Posted by bulkbreh View Post
    ITT: OP lifts to pin sweaty men to the floor and admits he's isn't interested in girls because he swings for the same team.
    Not really. Getting girls takes time, which could be better spent increasing strength gains.

But regarding aesthetics: If a person can only bench 5 reps of 135 pounds, with bad form, and is happy with that, but is more aesthetic, then isn't that bad?

Originally Posted by Scott527 View Post
    "Aesthetics" come naturally when you train hard and lift heavy. Just don't let it be your main motive for working out...looking good and trying to impress others or get back at them. Do it to be strong, confident, and happy with yourself as I initially posted and you're good to go
    Yep, I think Im gonna keep doing what Im doing and ignore the other kids at my school. But BB.com's opinions are interesting, cause they come from more serious lifters.
    Bench: 185 (8 reps)
    Squat: 155 (10 reps)
    Deadlift: 135 - new deadlifter - (5 reps)

GOALS

Bench: 205 (5 reps)
    Squat: 225 (5 reps)
    Deadlift: 225 (5 reps)

ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    At the moment, because track is starting back up, strength > looks.

When track season ends and I'm out of school, looks > strength.

Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i lift for the guys
    Long live Visagex

nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000) nicktricktricky is just really nice. (+1000)
    But regarding aesthetics: If a person can only bench 5 reps of 135 pounds, with bad form, and is happy with that, but is more aesthetic, then isn't that bad?
    so you think it's bad for a person to be happy about acquiring aesthetics just because they aren't very strong?

if someone can only bench 135 and is happy with that and how they look, then more power to em IMO.

it's all about personal choice. Right now I'm trying to get to that skinnyboy abs point because I've always been skinnyfat, and just want to prove I can get that lean, even if it means I'll be 5'10" and 135 lbs

soon as I get 6pack status I'm hitting that clean bulk till 200 lbs
    *always pick 7 crew*
    *Self-Improvement Crew*

Originally Posted by nicktricktricky View Post
    so you think it's bad for a person to be happy about acquiring aesthetics just because they aren't very strong?

if someone can only bench 135 and is happy with that and how they look, then more power to em IMO.

it's all about personal choice. Right now I'm trying to get to that skinnyboy abs point because I've always been skinnyfat, and just want to prove I can get that lean, even if it means I'll be 5'10" and 135 lbs

soon as I get 6pack status I'm hitting that clean bulk till 200 lbs
    Well, this person goes to a gym, lifts wrong (bad form), then insults me about my aesthetics. He comes off as a bit of a dumbass in my opinion.

But yeah, you're far more educated than he is, so it's not like I resent all people who go for aesthetics.

GOALS

Well, this person goes to a gym, lifts wrong (bad form), then insults me about my aesthetics. He comes off as a bit of a dumbass in my opinion.

But yeah, you're far more educated than he is, so it's not like I resent all people who go for aesthetics.
    In that scenario, he has a right to be happy about his aesthetics, and you have the same right to hate him for being a dumbass.

everything concerning strength vs aesthetics always comes down to personal preference.
    *always pick 7 crew*
    *Self-Improvement Crew*

Originally Posted by nicktricktricky View Post
    In that scenario, he has a right to be happy about his aesthetics, and you have the same right to hate him for being a dumbass.

everything concerning strength vs aesthetics always comes down to personal preference.
    Yeah, that does makes sense.

GOALS

Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    listen up
    personally, aesthetics are more important for me.. i dont care for stregth.. i want to be dominant every where i go, and of course live healthier than most of other teens
    but if strength is more important for you, than acquire strength.. dont do **** for other people because thats the worst you can do in life
    With you by my side there's nothing I still fear,
    And now you're dead and gone I'll shed more than a tear.
    Because I know you were my inspiration, an angel without wings
    Ascending to the sky, forever you're my king.

RM5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RM5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RM5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RM5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RM5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RM5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RM5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RM5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RM5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RM5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RM5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Strength

wuhtersprinkle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wuhtersprinkle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wuhtersprinkle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wuhtersprinkle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wuhtersprinkle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wuhtersprinkle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wuhtersprinkle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wuhtersprinkle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Aesthetics can be taken anywhere, strength is for the most part just shown at the gym. So aesthetics.