The_Real_XN is just really nice. (+1000) The_Real_XN is just really nice. (+1000) The_Real_XN is just really nice. (+1000) The_Real_XN is just really nice. (+1000) The_Real_XN is just really nice. (+1000) The_Real_XN is just really nice. (+1000) The_Real_XN is just really nice. (+1000) The_Real_XN is just really nice. (+1000) The_Real_XN is just really nice. (+1000) The_Real_XN is just really nice. (+1000) The_Real_XN is just really nice. (+1000)

Yet another gym removes heavy dumbells: incredible motivation-killer... (link)

We all do not need to love heavy dumbells to understand that their function in a gym is not merely for exercise. 130 lb., 150 lb., even 200 lb. dumbells become quiet symbols in a gym landscape; a reminder that, yes folks, you TOO can strive for visions of yourself far beyond what you currently know.

You do not have to be interested in being a big brute or jacked bodybuilder for this symbol to be compelling. It is the idea; it is what these big weights stand for which is vital. The gym should be a place of work and inspiration. Even if you do not want ever to lift such weights, is it not inspiring to think that you could perform this feat? Or any great feat for that matter?

Yes, gigantic dumbells serve two purposes. They are used by very few but serve as a reminder to all.

So when a gym removes this symbol, I think something is lost. It is one thing if the facility never had those weights; whether all gyms should is another discussion which has convincing logic on either side of the debate. However, when a gym has committed to such equipment then removes them – punitively, as is shown in the attached link – there is something deeper being cut into.

This post on The Next Level's The Snoop blog made me wonder what others think about this whole idea. Should a gym committed to promoting weight training accept the consequences involved/ Or should we shrug off when a gym caves in to the trends and flimsy ideas of the corporate bosses in the industry?

http://thenextlevel.me/snoop/bayshor...moves-dumbells

Any thoughts on the motivation of massive dumbells, or on their removal welcome . . . me personally? It bums me out.
    www.TheNextLevel.me
    Your sport. Your body. Your passion. Your team.

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by The_Real_XN View Post
    Any thoughts on the motivation of massive dumbells, or on their removal welcome . . . me personally? It bums me out.
    I am with you on that. But, this particular gym owner has a point too. If you were a gym owner and your members kept disrespecting and breaking equipment, wouldn't you do something about it?

Embedded picture from your link:

--
    --

And here is what Mark Rippetoe does to aware people about dropping dumbbells in his gym:

Dropping dumbbells

Attached Images
    Last edited by Jetigen; 04-07-2013 at 12:34 PM.

TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TallJJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I hate *******s that drop their dumbbels or any weights. I usually walk to them, stand next to them and look down a feet. Usually they get scared and get the message.
    6'6" crew
    220 lbs in avi (srs)
    Computer Science crew
    Prenup if I ever get married crew

havoc713 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) havoc713 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) havoc713 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) havoc713 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) havoc713 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) havoc713 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) havoc713 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) havoc713 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) havoc713 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) havoc713 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) havoc713 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My school gym got rid of them because people were dropping them.

HarryLefferts will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryLefferts will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryLefferts will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryLefferts will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryLefferts will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryLefferts will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryLefferts will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryLefferts will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryLefferts will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryLefferts will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryLefferts will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    They could just have a padlock and check-out process for them. Probably not worth the effort for most gyms, but there would be something awesome about getting to a level where you'd have to request "The Key"

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by HarryLefferts View Post
    They could just have a padlock and check-out process for them. Probably not worth the effort for most gyms, but there would be something awesome about getting to a level where you'd have to request "The Key"
    Not a bad idea. I'd probably just have a separate lockable weight room in the gym with heavy dumbbells, expensive bars, calibrated plates and a few racks with a big sign at the entrance: Advanced Bodybuilders ONLY

FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post
    Not a bad idea. I'd probably just have a separate lockable weight room in the gym with heavy dumbbells, expensive bars, calibrated plates and a few racks with a big sign at the entrance: Advanced Bodybuilders ONLY
    That's actually a pretty good idea. Would be motivating as hell!

I'm on the gym's side in this case though, there should be no "acceptance of the consequences" because they promote weight training. They provide heavier weights, something more and more gyms do not, and the lifters should RESPECT THEM for that. If the lifters at that gym are that upset about losing the heavier weights they should offer to pitch in to replace them and make a pledge to monitor their use better.

That's the arm I fap with Critter5592's Avatar
    Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Critter5592 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Shouldn't be blaming the gym..once again it's us that's destroying the equipment, not the dumbbells committing suicide. Just another case of a person taking advantage of equipment and not caring because it has no direct effect on them. I have always been a workout at home kinda guy so I don't have much gym experience, but it definitely does NOT surprise me there is another case of people not caring about others.

rudisp88d is on a distinguished road. (+10) rudisp88d is on a distinguished road. (+10) rudisp88d is on a distinguished road. (+10) rudisp88d is on a distinguished road. (+10) rudisp88d is on a distinguished road. (+10) rudisp88d is on a distinguished road. (+10) rudisp88d is on a distinguished road. (+10) rudisp88d is on a distinguished road. (+10) rudisp88d is on a distinguished road. (+10) rudisp88d is on a distinguished road. (+10) rudisp88d is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by HarryLefferts View Post
    brahhh this is awesome and would be quite motivating actually srs

hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Why do people drop weights in the first place?? It's not hard to 'place' them??
    Wut?