Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Which Ironmaster Super Bench attachments should I buy?

So I took the plunge and ordered the Super Bench. Now I'm checking out the attachments. I'll definitely need the crunch and leg extension attachments. The others are optional. I'm on the fence for the preacher curl and chin up attachments. Any thoughts on those? Which attachment do you find indispensable and which one do you regret buying? Thanks!

http://www.ironmaster.com/store/Super-Bench-c-2.html
    Last edited by greenleaf; 03-31-2008 at 08:41 PM.

jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have all the attachments...The dip and chin up attachments are good. What I liked about the chin-up is the adjustable heights. I was going to buy a power tower, but my ceiling was too low for it. With the superbench chin-up attachment I can put it low enough to get enough head room for a pull up. The only attachment I don't like is the preacher, Personally I think it is set up too low the way it connects to the bench, leaving your back in an awkward rounded position, and I'm not a big guy (5'7"). I used it once and now it sits in the corner of the weight room. I wrote to ironmaster to see if there was an extension to make it higher and they told me to put the bench at a slight incline. So basically its a standing preacher. Bad design IMO. Everything else I am happy with though

BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by greenleaf View Post
    So I took the plunge and ordered the Super Bench. Now I'm checking out the attachments. I'll definitely need the crunch and leg extension attachments. The others are optional. I'm on the fence for the preacher curl and chin up attachments. Any thoughts on those? Which attachment do you find indispensable and which one do you regret buying? Thanks!

http://www.ironmaster.com/store/Super-Bench-c-2.html
    I have the crunch, chin up, and dip attachments. I find the crunch attachment useful. I like the chin up and dip attachments as well although IMO they are not very stable. Of course, I weigh 275lbs so that's probably a big part of it!
    Last edited by BigToddy; 03-31-2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Spelling Error!

greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jay415 View Post
    I'm not a big guy (5'7").
    I'm also 5'7" but at 145lbs. How do you like the height of the bench on flat position? Can you rest your feet firmly on the floor when you flat bench?

How stable is the chin up bar for you?

How's the leg extension attachment since there are no handle bars on the side to keep your upper body stable during leg curls?
    Last edited by greenleaf; 03-31-2008 at 09:27 PM.

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Damn that thing sure has a lot of accesories...from a pulldown to a wheel kit, LOL, stands, everything...
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000)
    Can you do pull-ups with weight? Or does the weight plate slam the metal arch thing in the middle?

BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigToddy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm also 5'7" but at 145lbs. How do you like the height of the bench on flat position? Can you rest your feet firmly on the floor when you flat bench?

How's the leg extension attachment since there are no handle bars on the side to keep your upper body stable during leg curls?
    The height is fine for me. I can rest my feet firmly on the floor. The chin up bar, however, is not very stable. It tends to shake when I use it. I don't have the leg extension attachment so I can't speak to that. Overall, it's a great bench. My only dislikes are the instability of the attachments and the seat as it is rather small.

Originally Posted by r-ban View Post
    Can you do pull-ups with weight? Or does the weight plate slam the metal arch thing in the middle?
    I never tried but I'm pretty sure it would slam the metal arch in the middle.

Originally Posted by BigToddy View Post
    The chin up bar, however, is not very stable. It tends to shake when I use it.
    Is there any danger that it will topple during chin up and result in injury if you are not careful?

Is there any danger that it will topple during chin up and result in injury if you are not careful?
    Well, that's something that has worried me about it. The other day when I was doing pullups, the opposite side started to raise up a little. But again, I weigh 275lbs!!! I think the pullup attachment is only rated for 300lbs so I'm cutting it close!

Well, that's something that has worried me about it. The other day when I was doing pullups, the opposite side started to raise up a little. But again, I weigh 275lbs!!! I think the pullup attachment is only rated for 300lbs so I'm cutting it close!
    Do you think it'll work better with a small guy like me at 150lbs?

BigDogIt is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDogIt is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDogIt is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDogIt is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDogIt is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDogIt is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDogIt is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDogIt is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDogIt is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDogIt is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigDogIt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't own the pull up attachment but I do own and use the dip attachment. I weigh 195-200 pounds. I find that the base of the bench is stable but I do get a little wobble through the attachment. The movement seems to come from the fit of the attachment into the bench. While it wobbles I don't find it to be excessive. If you really wanted to you could probably remove the wobble with some duct tape. In the end I think the extra wobble might actually be beneficial in that your muscles have to compensate for balancing during the exercise. In regard to weighted dips, they are possible. I simply flip the dip attachment to the other side (padded side of bench). The exercise chart that comes with the bench shows the exercise being performed on the backside of the bench. I'm not sure if flipping the attachment to the opposite side affects the integrity of the bench, but it seems solid enough to me. If you still want to do weighted dips on the side of the bench the manual shows there are other ways to make this possible; weighted vest, chains, etc.

ckkris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ckkris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ckkris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I have the crunch situp attachement and dip bar .
    I use my powertec rack for chinups and dips .
    I use the Ironmaster dip bar with the bench for the leg raises .

bowester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think you have to have the crunch attachment if you want to use it at a very steep decline. I also have the curl attachment and it seems fine to me, I'm not much on curls but sometimes...curls for the girls you know. I use my rack for dips and pull-ups.

I kind of wish I had the wheels so it would be easier for the fiance to move around. She's really getting into compound movements and needs similar functionality to me....but at 125 pounds moving a 60 pound bench is more of a chore for her than I like.

For all those that knock this bench, it isn't perfect but it is darn good. I'm a big guy and I lift heavy and it works fine for me. If I had the room, I'd have a 17 inch flat bench to more accurately replicate meet equipment but life is about choices. I gave up a competition bench so I could get the rack and IM and I get more diversity in my workout (squats and rack deads among others).

Best,
    B

HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    where do u live, ill sell u my ironmaster leg attachment for very cheap (like new condition)

i cant use it due to knee problems

Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just want to say that I have the Super Bench along with the Pull-up, Leg, Dip, and Crunch attachments and love and use them all. I honestly don't regret buying any one of them. I also have their 120lb Quick Lock DB's and absolutely love those as well. Pretty much I don't think you can go wrong with any of the attachments.

Do you think it'll work better with a small guy like me at 150lbs?
    Yeah you should be fine.

Originally Posted by BigDogIt View Post
    I don't own the pull up attachment but I do own and use the dip attachment. I weigh 195-200 pounds. I find that the base of the bench is stable but I do get a little wobble through the attachment. The movement seems to come from the fit of the attachment into the bench. While it wobbles I don't find it to be excessive. If you really wanted to you could probably remove the wobble with some duct tape. In the end I think the extra wobble might actually be beneficial in that your muscles have to compensate for balancing during the exercise. In regard to weighted dips, they are possible. I simply flip the dip attachment to the other side (padded side of bench). The exercise chart that comes with the bench shows the exercise being performed on the backside of the bench. I'm not sure if flipping the attachment to the opposite side affects the integrity of the bench, but it seems solid enough to me. If you still want to do weighted dips on the side of the bench the manual shows there are other ways to make this possible; weighted vest, chains, etc.
    This may work for dips but I don't think you can rotate the chin up attachment (it only fits on one side)

Originally Posted by ckkris View Post
    I have the crunch situp attachement and dip bar .
    I use my powertec rack for chinups and dips .
    I use the Ironmaster dip bar with the bench for the leg raises .
    I'd go with this method. The dip bar is still useful for leg raises.

Originally Posted by Kendzlic View Post
    I just want to say that I have the Super Bench along with the Pull-up, Leg, Dip, and Crunch attachments and love and use them all. I honestly don't regret buying any one of them. I also have their 120lb Quick Lock DB's and absolutely love those as well. Pretty much I don't think you can go wrong with any of the attachments.
    This reviewer is 20lbs heavier and he's had good results so I would think you would as well.

jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well actually thats one thing I didn't like about the bench, here's a quote of mine from another thread.
    I have the same bench and have been very happy with it, except for 1 little gripe that I am now starting to get used to. The height of the bench is slightly higher than other benches I have used. I am 5'7" and have found it hard to place my feet flat on the floor to flat bench with good form. When I started using the bench I would over arch my back too much, but after using it a while I can now flat bench with the proper natural arch in my back. The change is probably due to increased flexibility in my hips. But anyways you'll love it. Good Luck
    I find it to be very stable, but then again I do slow controlled pull-ups.

Well as for leg curls I find myself grabbing hold to the steel arch for support.

Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kendzlic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This reviewer is 20lbs heavier and he's had good results so I would think you would as well.
    Not sure if your trying to be a smart ass or not but an extra review doesn't hurt. I think the OP asked everyones opinion.
    Last edited by Kendzlic; 04-01-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Not sure if your trying to be a smart ass or not but an extra review doesn't hurt. I think the OP asked everyones opinion.
    I don't think he was being a smart ass, your taking it the wrong way. OP asked if it would be ok for him as he was 150lbs. So his response was that you are 20lbs heavier and it is ok for you then it would be ok for OP.

No not at all. I was just saying that you had positive results and that you are closer to his weight.

I don't think he was being a smart ass, your taking it the wrong way. OP asked if it would be ok for him as he was 150lbs. So his response was that you are 20lbs heavier and it is ok for you then it would be ok for OP.
    Yes, exactly. Thanks for recognizing that! I was just trying to convey that he should be ok since he only weighs 150lbs.

Yes, exactly. Thanks for recognizing that! I was just trying to convey that he should be ok since he only weighs 150lbs.
    Gotcha. Sorry about that. Wasn't sure how to take it.

Threw you some apology rep.

Its cool I probably should've worded it differently. Anyway I wish I was in that weight class! I need to lose about 100lbs to get there!

Its cool I probably should've worded it differently. Anyway I wish I was in that weight class! I need to lose about 100lbs to get there!
    I started out at 194 lbs and chubby. Took a good 3 months to loose about 24 lbs for me. Hard work but worth it. Good luck man.

I started out at 194 lbs and chubby. Took a good 3 months to loose about 24 lbs for me. Hard work but worth it. Good luck man.
    Thanks man, I appreciate it. Thats pretty damn good 24lbs in 3 months. How did you do it? A lot of cardio?

The only attachment I don't like is the preacher, Personally I think it is set up too low the way it connects to the bench, leaving your back in an awkward rounded position, and I'm not a big guy (5'7"). I used it once and now it sits in the corner of the weight room. I wrote to ironmaster to see if there was an extension to make it higher and they told me to put the bench at a slight incline. So basically its a standing preacher. Bad design IMO. Everything else I am happy with though
    How low is the preacher if you do it seated on the bench?

For standing preacher, I assume the attachment can be inserted the other way round?

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Thats pretty damn good 24lbs in 3 months. How did you do it? A lot of cardio?
    Yeah man, a hell of a lot of cardio along with weight training. I ran on either the elliptical or treadmill for about 2-4 miles a day along with taking a bunch of EAA/BCAA's and protein so that the little muscle I had stayed. It was worth it god I hate cutting.

How low is the preacher if you do it seated on the bench?

For standing preacher, I assume the attachment can be inserted the other way round?
    Here is a pic of the preacher installed in the flat position. When I sit on the bench sitting upright with a flat back my elbows just reach the preacher pad, which kindof defeats the purpose. The preacher should sit higher on the triceps area. Here's a pic (I was going to sit there in the pic to show you but I didn't have anyone to take the pic)

Now after contacting IM to see if they had an extension kit to raise it up higher, They told me to increase the incline of the bench and use it that way. So in this position it not actually like standing like I mentioned earlier, it is better explained as compared to sitting on a sport bike. Personally I don't like it. But here's the other pic.

I finally got my bench and really liked it. I'm checking out some attachments. The preacher curl looks OK to me but the dip attachment looks "dangerous" with that arc thing like a blade right below your balls.

Can the leg extension attachment accommodate non-Olympian plates like those made by Cap with the smaller hole?

Last edited by greenleaf; 04-05-2008 at 01:34 PM.