Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

bumper plates for barbell complexes question

Does anyone use a single pair of bumpers for complexes and then add their regular plates on the outside?

was wanting to start doing complexes and power cleans and start light and was considering a pair of 10 or 15lb Rogue bumpers and then just add weight with my regular plates as I go.

am I not thinking of something that would make this not work?
    Stern Crew

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've read that the 10lb plates are not terribly durable by themselves, and definitely not durable if you're adding other plates on.

I'm not sure what complexes are, so I can't say if this is what you mean, but I've heard it's pretty bad for durability even if you're starting with a 45lb bumper than adding other bumper plates. The dropped bumper plate may not hold up, they're meant to be used with other bumper plates. Now adding like a 5lb or 10lb non-bumper plate to a 25lb or 45lb bumper plate isn't the end of the world, but just 1 bumper may not survive over time if it's stacked with heavier non-bumper plates.

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
    I've read that the 10lb plates are not terribly durable by themselves, and definitely not durable if you're adding other plates on.

I'm not sure what complexes are, so I can't say if this is what you mean, but I've heard it's pretty bad for durability even if you're starting with a 45lb bumper than adding other bumper plates. The dropped bumper plate may not hold up, they're meant to be used with other bumper plates. Now adding like a 5lb or 10lb non-bumper plate to a 25lb or 45lb bumper plate isn't the end of the world, but just 1 bumper may not survive over time if it's stacked with heavier non-bumper plates.
    complexes - just a series of movements with lighter weight, for conditioning as much as anything else....like you hang or power clean, front squat, push press, front squat, push press, back to the floor....repeat 5-10 times....thats a round. do that 5 times...I'd only be doing it with 85-105 pounds (for now)...so I'm imagining the 15 pound bumpers with a couple regular 10s and/or 5s on the outside.
    Stern Crew

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Retoaded View Post
    complexes - just a series of movements with lighter weight, for conditioning as much as anything else....like you hang or power clean, front squat, push press, front squat, push press, back to the floor....repeat 5-10 times....thats a round. do that 5 times...I'd only be doing it with 85-105 pounds (for now)...so I'm imagining the 15 pound bumpers with a couple regular 10s and/or 5s on the outside.
    Should be fine if you are not dropping the bar. Bumpers are designed to support their own weight. Once you start adding weight of a smaller diameter and dropping them you have more weight hitting the ground in a smaller surface area which is tough on the plate. I'd buy Pendlay Econ V2 or Rogue HG (whatever is cheaper), They are the same plate and very durable. Stay away from the "Hi-Temps".
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    Should be fine if you are not dropping the bar. Bumpers are designed to support their own weight. Once you start adding weight and dropping them your have more weight hitting the ground in a smaller surface area which is tough on the plate. I'd buy Pendlay Econ V2 or Rogue HG (whatever is cheaper), They are the same plate and very durable. Stay away from the "Hi-Temps".
    are the hi-temps more cheaply made?
    Stern Crew

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No, but they are a smaller diameter than a standard bumper plate which could lead to problems later if you decide to add other brands. The smaller (10,15lbs) are very soft and tend to bend and collapse under their own weight just sitting on the bar. They would certainly collapse with any extra weight. I've also heard a theory that over time they dehydrate and become lighter. I don't know if this is true but I did weigh some old ones at a local gym and every single one was under weight.

No, but they are a smaller diameter than a standard bumper plate which could lead to problems later if you decide to add other brands. The smaller (10,15lbs) are very soft and tend to bend and collapse under their own weight just sitting on the bar. They would certainly collapse with any extra weight. I've also heard a theory that over time they dehydrate and become lighter. I don't know if this is true but I did weigh some old ones at a local gym and every single one was under weight.

cool man thanks for the suggestions...I was looking at the various ones available and that narrows it down.

edit: lol that video is funny. would be so pissed if that happened the first week I used them lol.
    Stern Crew

ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    they're not as high quality, especially at the smaller sizes. 10# and 15# hi-temps get destroyed, because they're so thin. even brand new ones will bend and wobble when dropped. the new troy vtx 10# bumpers are rock solid and i'm sure the pendlays are great, too, though i haven't used either myself. there's a video on youtube of some guys abusing the new troys, tho, and they look unbreakable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bf_uVhmoUk

note that GI said if you're not dropping the bar. that's a big assumption. if you're not going to drop the bar, you don't need bumpers...unless u just want them for the starting height. if you're doing complexes at a weight you can control pretty easily (sub-100#), i don't think you need bumpers.

Originally Posted by ninjaneer View Post
    they're not as high quality, especially at the smaller sizes. 10# and 15# hi-temps get destroyed, because they're so thin. even brand new ones will bend and wobble when dropped. the new troy vtx 10# bumpers are rock solid and i'm sure the pendlays are great, too, though i haven't used either myself. there's a video on youtube of some guys abusing the new troys, tho, and they look unbreakable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bf_uVhmoUk

note that GI said if you're not dropping the bar. that's a big assumption. if you're not going to drop the bar, you don't need bumpers...unless u just want them for the starting height. if you're doing complexes at a weight you can control pretty easily (sub-100#), i don't think you need bumpers.
    good points all around. also saw the VTXs so thats good to know.

I still want to start building up bumpers over time though for my home gym, a little at a time so my wife doesn't notice the spending lol. :-)
    Stern Crew

ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    good points all around. also saw the VTXs so thats good to know.

I still want to start building up bumpers over time though for my home gym, a little at a time so my wife doesn't notice the spending lol. :-)
    gotcha. i vote troy vtx, then. new to the market, but so far, every review i've seen has been stellar. once you pick a brand, though, you'll probably want to stick with it or at least verify the diameters are equal going forward. i went with pendlay competition bumpers, but no 10#s available for that line. i'd bet you'd find yourself doing most complexes with at least 95#. you don't sound like a small guy.

gotcha. i vote troy vtx, then. new to the market, but so far, every review i've seen has been stellar. once you pick a brand, though, you'll probably want to stick with it or at least verify the diameters are equal going forward. i went with pendlay competition bumpers, but no 10#s available for that line. i'd bet you'd find yourself doing most complexes with at least 95#. you don't sound like a small guy.
    thanks for input! that may be the case, haven't really done them too much, just want to do something different for conditioning and something I can do in my basement in the mornings!
    Stern Crew

It's my understanding that the Troy's are also the same as the Pendlay/Rogue, they just jumped on ship late after the online disaster with their previous plates.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Does anyone use a single pair of bumpers for complexes and then add their regular plates on the outside?

was wanting to start doing complexes and power cleans and start light and was considering a pair of 10 or 15lb Rogue bumpers and then just add weight with my regular plates as I go.

am I not thinking of something that would make this not work?
    you can probably deal with a pair of 25's for what you have in mind...i do this, and then just add smaller plates. i'd get some of the hi-temps if i were you as they're also quite durable for the price.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    that vtx video is neat...that actually looked fun, but at the same time i kept waiting for one of those guys to get smacked by the bar.

Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    that vtx video is neat...that actually looked fun, but at the same time i kept waiting for one of those guys to get smacked by the bar.
    not the greatest form, but i've never seen 10# bumpers keep shape after that kind of beating. not sure if the pendlays are the same construction, but i've heard of pendlays breaking...that video seriously makes me wonder when the vtx's would crack...if ever.

Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000)
    ()---() York Barbell Club #5 ()---()
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #10 -!!!---!!!-

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    Winston Churchill

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
    Mahatma Gandhi

not the greatest form, but i've never seen 10# bumpers keep shape after that kind of beating. not sure if the pendlays are the same construction, but i've heard of pendlays breaking...that video seriously makes me wonder when the vtx's would crack...if ever.
    Any bumper will crack if you stress it enough. I'm not sure how many bumpers you've seen or used, but that video doesn't really prove anything or impress me. I would expect that of any econ bumper. Troy offers a 90 day warranty on their VTX 10lb. Pendlay is 3 years. I'd be confident in either as I am sure they are the same.

Most bumpers fail at the insert, mainly due to a poor design where they rub together on the bar or sleeve. The better plates are using an inset insert. It's too bad, I had a pair of 10lb Yorks I gave away yesterday or I would have done this test myself this afternoon. They are not nearly as durable as the Pendlay plates but would not crack if a bunch of crossfitters decided to slam them around. The inserts would almost sure fail (start to spin) though.

on that note - anyone suggest a cheap women's bar for my wife? I am not dropping $250 on a rogue bella bar for my wife when she is very off and on with lifting weights...25 pounds but rackable in a rack would be great. I know of the 33 pound womens oly bars, but didn't know if there was a 25 lb option somewhere...
    Stern Crew

Any bumper will crack if you stress it enough. I'm not sure how many bumpers you've seen or used, but that video doesn't really prove anything or impress me. I would expect that of any econ bumper. Troy offers a 90 day warranty on their VTX 10lb. Pendlay is 3 years. I'd be confident in either as I am sure they are the same.

Most bumpers fail at the insert, mainly due to a poor design where they rub together on the bar or sleeve. The better plates are using an inset insert. It's too bad, I had a pair of 10lb Yorks I gave away yesterday or I would have done this test myself this afternoon. They are not nearly as durable as the Pendlay plates but would not crack if a bunch of crossfitters decided to slam them around. The inserts would almost sure fail (start to spin) though.
    good point. i did six months of crossfit and then i've got my comp bumpers, that's about it. if u think pendlays and troys are the same construction, i'd lean towards pendlay. they can be found for cheaper on sites like wayfare, which always has coupons.

on that note - anyone suggest a cheap women's bar for my wife? I am not dropping $250 on a rogue bella bar for my wife when she is very off and on with lifting weights...25 pounds but rackable in a rack would be great. I know of the 33 pound womens oly bars, but didn't know if there was a 25 lb option somewhere...
    craigslist is your best bet to get a great bar for a great price. my gf just uses my pendlay NB.

Womens spec oly bars are typically expensive because they need to use high quality steel in order to make them 25mm and not bend. I'd go with a 6ft mens bar. The diameter will be around 30mm but they are much cheaper. Maybe something like a Troy GOB-72? Low capacity but a decent grip diameter and snap ring sleeves.

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    http://www.roguefitness.com/hitech-training-plates.php

You could use technique plates in various sizes (5,10,15) and then your first bumper plate size could be 25lbs. Technique plates are made to withstand drops that often make smaller bumpers fail over time.
    []---[] Equipment crew member #51 []---[]

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Rogues 15 pound technique bar is only $132
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by deadwoodgregg View Post
    http://www.roguefitness.com/hitech-training-plates.php

You could use technique plates in various sizes (5,10,15) and then your first bumper plate size could be 25lbs. Technique plates are made to withstand drops that often make smaller bumpers fail over time.
    Those tech plates cost almost as much as bumpers.
    Ivanko Crew #28