Thread: First Workout

YBNRML has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YBNRML has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

First Workout

I finally got a gym membership Monday and was at the gym at 5 am this morning. This was my first time in the gym in over 4 years. I plan on working out 6 days per week and doing cardio every other day. Today I was working my back and after about an hour I started getting sick to my stomach so I called it a day. Other than getting sick the workout went pretty good.

I plan on working legs on Fridays and I'm looking for some advice on a workout. I had my knee replace in '07 and it is worse now than before the surgery. When I bend it in any way it cracks and sounds like rolling a bag of marbles. 4 years ago I was doing leg presses with about 320 pounds and my knee made more noise than the machine. Other than the knee pain the feeling in my quads was kind of nice. OK maybe not nice but it definitely felt like I was finally doing something. What exercises can you recommend? I know that I need to see a doctor and I'm trying to get into one but in the mean time I want to be in the gym.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Mike

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Congrats on getting in the gym....espeacially at 5AM!

Regarding your knee, I'd see a Dr first and get clearance for what kind of training you can do with it and the intensity you can apply to it.
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Get-n-fit View Post
    Congrats on getting in the gym....espeacially at 5AM!

Regarding your knee, I'd see a Dr first and get clearance for what kind of training you can do with it and the intensity you can apply to it.
    ^^^^ This.

With a prosthetic joint, don't do any leg work until you talk with your Ortho.

GL.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

YBNRML has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YBNRML has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have talked to the ortho that did the surgery and he said that he didn't see any reason that I couldn't work out but he also had no idea why it makes the noises that it does. I'm trying to get into another ortho but until then I still want to get to the gym. I am sick of weighing close to 400 pounds.

Would it really hurt if I just concentrate on upper body until I see a new ortho? Also, what is the best way to slim down the calves. Mine are around 26 inches and it sucks trying to find pants that are skin tight on my lower legs.

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    spot weight loss is impossible.

I'm sure you're aware, weight loss is completely possible without working out and without cardio, I don't condone this, but just saying. All you need for weight loss is to figure out your Maintence calories and eat at a deficit and you will lose weight.

With that said, I would recommend not working the leg until you're sure it's safe, meanwhile work upper body and eat at a deficit.

I switched to Paleo last August and have lost almost 40 pounds without doing much of anything other than short hikes with my dog. I was pretty excited going from a size 50 waist down to a 46. It's hard to eat right when the rest of the family has to have their junk. So far I have stuck pretty close to doing the Paleo.

Thanks for the help with this.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by YBNRML View Post

Would it really hurt if I just concentrate on upper body until I see a new ortho? .
    Do what you can do. Any exercise you're able to handle that doesn't load your knee (for now) will be of benefit.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Until you get a clear opinion about the knee stick with upper body work. You may be surprised how much your overall body will respond just to the increase in physical activity. Plus there are lots of muscle groups you can work. The knee may also get better as you lose more weight and it isn't under as much stress.

And congrats on the new start and the 40 pound/4 inch loss. That's a great start and a more physical lifestyle should help keep that going.

Home schooled in Gym Liftn4life707's Avatar
    Liftn4life707 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftn4life707 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftn4life707 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftn4life707 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftn4life707 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftn4life707 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftn4life707 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftn4life707 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftn4life707 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftn4life707 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftn4life707 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I switched to Paleo last August and have lost almost 40 pounds without doing much of anything other than short hikes with my dog. I was pretty excited going from a size 50 waist down to a 46. It's hard to eat right when the rest of the family has to have their junk. So far I have stuck pretty close to doing the Paleo.

Thank you for inspiring me to stick to my diet today. I know how hard it is and hearing your results is just what I needed. Great job.

Toss the junk food, get the whole family involved, they'll thank you later........they'll curse you now, but will thank you later...lol

Originally Posted by Get-n-fit View Post
    Toss the junk food, get the whole family involved, they'll thank you later........they'll curse you now, but will thank you later...lol
    That's easier said than done. They are still upset that I am doing this diet. They say that I eat too much food. I usually have 1 or 2 servings of meat and the same with a vegetable while they have their potatoes, pasta rice, beans, bread, and all of the othe crap that they consume. One week they went through 4 dozen dough nuts and 3 pints of ice cream and sent me to the store on Saturday because they wanted something sweet.

It would be easier to just walk away from it but after 32 years of marriage what can you do. It gets really hard some times but I am determined to get in shape and get a life.

bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Congrats on getting started. In regards to your nausea during your workout, do you workout fasted? I train at 5am as well and used to get this way towards the end of my workouts. I added in some Steel cut oats about 30-45 min before I hit the gym and this helped me out greatly. I just make mine the night before so it is microwave ready in the morning. Not sure if it applies to your situation..just something that helped me.

Good luck on getting the family on a healthier diet, you may need to do that one a little more slowly over a longer period of time.