DonLeone94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bands or Chains?

Hey,

im looking to buy some new equipment for my home gym and I'm wondering wether i should buy chains or some bands first to improve my strength and mass.

My PRs are 250lbs squat, 330lbs dead and 210lbs bench.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Location: Birmingham, Westmidlands, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000)
    bands and chains are more for advanced lifters,
    at those totals just stick to a strength program like 5/3/1 and you'll get stronger.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #4 -!!!---!!!-

Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^That said, bands are great multi-purpose tools.
    I use mine for rear delt exercises, and when traveling, and hang them up for an improvised cable-crossover.
    I also don't buy into the whole, "don't use bands/chains too early, they will mess up your progress!" jive. You may not need them, but they aren't going to hurt you now or later.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #5 ()---()
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #10 -!!!---!!!-

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    Winston Churchill

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
    Mahatma Gandhi

BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by owasM View Post
    bands and chains are more for advanced lifters,
    at those totals just stick to a strength program like 5/3/1 and you'll get stronger.
    5/3/1 is a program for advanced lifters

HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BuckWyld View Post
    Not at all.

owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000)
    lol its the simplist powerlifting program out there.

BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuckWyld has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It is for advanced lifters because it has monthly progress rather than workout to workout like SS or weekly like Madcow.

Mattyd007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Chains Vs. Bands: Good question

[QUOTE=DonLeone94;1049528281] im looking to buy some new equipment for my home gym and I'm wondering wether i should buy chains or some bands first to improve my strength and mass.

Chains Vs. Bands: Good question - They both serve a purpose, if i had to decide i would choose chains as they seem to be more versatile i.e You can use chains for bench exercises, weighted dips, walking lunges, squats, calf raises wow the list goes on almost anything you use your bodyweight for simply hang them around the back of your neck, bands seem to require a fixed point to create tension so they are great for bench, maybe squat.

Hope theat helps some.
    Last edited by Mattyd007; 04-03-2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: selling
    CEO @ http://www.********.com/PROSYNSUPPS

Squat: 140
    Dead: 130
    Bench: 110
    Press: 80

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My understanding is that you should start with chains and then progress to bands (at least regarding the bench). Not sure which web page I read that on (maybe Westside or Elitefitness), but the rational was that bands are harder on the body than chains.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    It is for advanced lifters because it has monthly progress rather than workout to workout like SS or weekly like Madcow.
    Actually it can be used for a lifter of any level and be a good program.

However the OP would probably be better on SS than anything else.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    Actually it can be used for a lifter of any level and be a good program.

However the OP would probably be better on SS than anything else.
    ^^this. 531 can be used by anyone, but if you can make progress on a linear program, then you should do a linear program, since you'll make quicker gains. i say skip the chains and bands, do Starting Strength or even a 5x5. after that, there are plenty of programs out there for an intermediate lifter with or without bands/chains.

i don't really consider anyone "advanced" until you can bench, squat, and deadlift 1.5xbw, 2xbw, and 2.5xbw respectively (or you could go by: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm). by that time, you probably already know what your body responds to best.

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I use both bands and chains. I use bands on the top and bottom pegs at the same time. And I use chains too simultaneously on the bamboo bar attached to more bands attached to kettle bells. While Im doing 5/3/1. Basically I like to use everything at the same time.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

when i said 5/3/1 i didnt mean just that, but that was the first strength program that popped im my head (probably because im doing it lol )
    the point was,(clearer this time) just stick to a solid strength routine, fix form issues,figure out how your body responds to things then add in bands/chains w.e to help ... but once you get to the stage, i dont think u'd have to ask if you should be using them

With regard to the OP in my limited experience the difference is this

Chains
    Pro - more durable, doesn't lock you in a groove, easier setup if you don't have a rack and/or deadlift platform with band pegs
    Cons - larger, more difficult to transport, more expensive initial investment

Bands
    Pro - smaller, lighter, less expensive initially, more possible uses aside from dynamic bench,squat,dead
    Cons - less durable

From the westside reading I have done they seem to view bands as an evolution from chains of the dynamic resistance concept but also more taxing They did say that for unequiped squatting bands should only be used for box squats. I still use bands for unequiped squats because it isn't really feasable to bring chains to my gym where I do dynamic squats.

I think this article is a good intro
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ing_resistance

claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) claricSTi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    They're not that expensive, why not have both?

I use chains for pressing and pulling and generally use my bands for DL and Squat and maybe a little benching. Banded deadlifts are simply awesome. Granted I don't have bands that are that "heavy". Like said above though, I believe bands are a little more practical if you have a rack with band pegs, if not I would imagine chains would be a lot eaier to get set up.
    I am going to die under a heavy barbell one day and it's going to be f*cking awesome--HamburgerTrain

()---() York Barbell Club #36 ()---()
    ***Knee Dragger Unite***
    ***ShowerBEER Crew***
    ***Viking Crew***

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've used bodylastics for like 5 years. They are still just as strong.