neilpat95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

too little calories?

Im 17 years old and I eat around 1000 calories a day. I do 3 days of an intense circuit and 3 days of lifting and abs. Im trying to drop 7 percent body fat in 6 weeks. I beleive im at 17 percent body fat as of now. Ive been hearing about this starvation mode that my body could go into if I eat too little calories. I was wondering if I need to increase my caloric intake and if I do will I see the same results? FYI: I have 8 small meals a day, and three of those meals are a protein shake. The only reason I ask is becuase the progress has slowed down recently.

DomPerignon will become famous soon enough. (+50) DomPerignon will become famous soon enough. (+50) DomPerignon will become famous soon enough. (+50) DomPerignon will become famous soon enough. (+50) DomPerignon will become famous soon enough. (+50) DomPerignon will become famous soon enough. (+50) DomPerignon will become famous soon enough. (+50) DomPerignon will become famous soon enough. (+50) DomPerignon will become famous soon enough. (+50) DomPerignon will become famous soon enough. (+50) DomPerignon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by neilpat95 View Post
    Im 17 years old and I eat around 1000 calories a day. I do 3 days of an intense circuit and 3 days of lifting and abs. Im trying to drop 7 percent body fat in 6 weeks. I beleive im at 17 percent body fat as of now. Ive been hearing about this starvation mode that my body could go into if I eat too little calories. I was wondering if I need to increase my caloric intake and if I do will I see the same results? FYI: I have 8 small meals a day, and three of those meals are a protein shake. The only reason I ask is becuase the progress has slowed down recently.
    1000 cals? didnt read much after that....
    Your body already is on "starvation mode" or will be if you eat that LITTLE.
    My mom is on a diet, 5'2.... and she eats 1200+.......
    You need about double that bud and worrying about hitting macros...

DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by neilpat95 View Post
    Nothing like waiting until the last minute to get those abs for summer huh Brah?

Why not do things the smart way? Read the stickies? Calculate your calorie needs and macros. Do it slow and steady. There is no shortcuts to this. It has to be a lifestyle change. What you are doing is not maintainable. You are going to screw up your mind and body doing it this way. The information you need is here. Do the research. Try to help yourself a little bit.
    "I hate it when people say "Don't be so hard on yourself." Why not be hard on yourself? Be as hard on yourself as you can. Maybe just maybe it will get you up off your ass and help you accomplish a goal. If not, your weakness has won." ~ ME

"There are no easy fixes in life. No magic beans. No Genie of the Lamp to wish yourself skinny. It takes hard work and dedication. Why don't people understand that?" ~ ME

QUIT SPOUTING BRO SCIENCE BRAH!!!! UGGGGGGGGGG

jessyToo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jessyToo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yeah dude that's far too low and will only result in losing you muscle and after the 6 weeks end your BF will bounce back to 17+ %. Post some more data (bodyweight, height) and we are able to give you the exact numbers of cals & macros in order to help you.
    Certified Fitness Nutrition Coach
    Books for Bodybuilding: www.books-for-bodybuilding.info
    Free Bodybuilding Tool: www.bodymanagementprogram.com

thanks for the replys

currently Im 143 and im 5'4''.

jessyToo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jessyToo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Okay, here you go. Try not to drop below the 2000 cals because it is already at 20% deficit as you can see. I assumed the macros to be at 35/50/15. Of course these can be adjusted if you do not see progress (which shouldn't happen).
    Attached Images

that helps alot

wow thanks! I appriciate the help. I will definatly increase my caloric intake.

Worlds slowest cut-ter SilvaMan61's Avatar
    SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jessyToo View Post
    Okay, here you go. Try not to drop below the 2000 cals because it is already at 20% deficit as you can see. I assumed the macros to be at 35/50/15. Of course these can be adjusted if you do not see progress (which shouldn't happen).
    He's 17 years old producing a ton of hormones that will dictate his growth into adulthood and you put him at 35g of fat.

OP read the stickies and do it yourself.
    "The hardship of the exercises is intended less to strengthen the back than to toughen the mind. The Spartans say that any army may win while it still has it's legs under it; the real test comes when all strength has fled and the men must produce victory on will alone." (Pressfield,1998, p.78)

Originally Posted by SilvaMan61 View Post
    He's 17 years old producing a ton of hormones that will dictate his growth into adulthood and you put him at 35g of fat.

OP read the stickies and do it yourself.
    15% is a healthy number to aim for and totally enough. Don't go overboard

Worlds slowest cut-ter SilvaMan61's Avatar
    SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jessyToo View Post
    15% is a healthy number to aim for and totally enough. Don't go overboard
    15% isn't a number. He should calculate what actual amount in grams his body needs.
    "The hardship of the exercises is intended less to strengthen the back than to toughen the mind. The Spartans say that any army may win while it still has it's legs under it; the real test comes when all strength has fled and the men must produce victory on will alone." (Pressfield,1998, p.78)

mayn400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Neil,

What you are trying to do is dangerous and probably impossible. Your body is going into catabolic state which is why it is slowing everything down and breaking down muscle proteins which I am guessing you don't wan't to do. The reason is mathematically it will not work 143Lbs. trying to lose 7% body fat is 24.31 lbs. of fat If you lost two pounds a week (7,000 calories) in 6 weeks is still only 12lbs. Your body uses close to 1,500 calories for your size, probably more, doing nothing a day just to keep you moving and your heart beating. So just that alone your at 500 calorie deficiency with out even working out. (1lb a week). I also think your lying about your calories, or your not counting correctly, 3 small protein shakes a day is close to 600-700 calories alone so your remaining 5 meals is equal 300-400 calories total. What are your remaining meals, 50 calories? (Carrots). Give it more time man and stay healthy get about 1,500 - 1,700 calories and work out like you have been. Do some research on carb cycling and insulin levels for increased fat burn. At this rate you well probably burn 2 lbs. a week. While gaining lean mass and make sure your getting the nutrients your body needs to burn fat and be healthy. You didn't add 7% bodyfat over night so its not going to come off that way. Plus your only 17 and your body is still growing if you start messing with not enough nutrients it can actually stunt growth, effect your mental capability, and do some permanant damage or even death, because it sounds like your starving your self.

Ive changed it up

Im eating closer to 1700 calories a day now. Although, even before I never seemed to feel starved. I was full majority of the day. My meals consist of either chicken breast or turkey breast sandwiches with a few snacks such as carrots, almonds,broccoli, and sun chips through out the day. And btw protein shakes are only 120 cals each, I drink Optimum Nutrition whey/ casein. Thanks for all the input, it has been very helpful.

has no use for a name n0useforaname's Avatar
    n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Your goal is not happening.. and it's dangerous. You are a teenager, which means no one can calculate exactly what you need.. because you are still growing.
    Learning something new here every single day... and I'm still not sure if I understand : /