afi133 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Feeling sick on 3rd day - normal or flu?

For starters, my current diet is here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...&postcount=563

I PM'd Eileen about this but I also realize she's busy and would like as much input as possible.

The reason I ask is because yesterday (the second day on Keto), I suddenly hot an onset of bad upset stomach/diarrhea and flu-like symptoms (chills, slight aches, a headache). I've read some older threads, and they seem to go back and forth between saying that's normal for the "induction" into ketosis and saying that the person is actually suffering from the flu. No one around me is sick and I don't believe I have the flu, but I also can't say for certain.

This happened around 6:30pm, after my tuna meal (I swapped the ordering of my meals around.) I slept a bit and at 11:23pm I felt slightly better stomach-wise but still have body aches and a headache.

I woke up today and decided to test myself for ketones and I tested positive in the large (dark purple - 150) range. I'm still suffering from diarrhea and cannot eat anything due to feeling nauseous still. I'm still aching and I have a headache also.

Is this just from 'induction' into ketosis and not enough water/fiber? Or is it something else?

Update: I had the usual eggs for breakfast and while I thought I was feeling better, I ended up in the bathroom yet again. What's wrong with me?
    Last edited by afi133; 02-19-2007 at 10:52 AM.

fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I disagree that what is happening with you is "common". I am going to go with illness or bad food.

Give it a few more days and keep yourself hydrated.

SSWTR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by afi133 View Post
    For starters, my current diet is here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...&postcount=563

I PM'd Eileen about this but I also realize she's busy and would like as much input as possible.

The reason I ask is because yesterday (the second day on Keto), I suddenly hot an onset of bad upset stomach/diarrhea and flu-like symptoms (chills, slight aches, a headache). I've read some older threads, and they seem to go back and forth between saying that's normal for the "induction" into ketosis and saying that the person is actually suffering from the flu. No one around me is sick and I don't believe I have the flu, but I also can't say for certain.

This happened around 6:30pm, after my tuna meal (I swapped the ordering of my meals around.) I slept a bit and at 11:23pm I felt slightly better stomach-wise but still have body aches and a headache.

I woke up today and decided to test myself for ketones and I tested positive in the large (dark purple - 150) range. I'm still suffering from diarrhea and cannot eat anything due to feeling nauseous still. I'm still aching and I have a headache also.

Is this just from 'induction' into ketosis and not enough water/fiber? Or is it something else?

Update: I had the usual eggs for breakfast and while I thought I was feeling better, I ended up in the bathroom yet again. What's wrong with me?
    May be you eat infected egg and you have flu due to this just thought

Originally Posted by fitnessman View Post
    I disagree that what is happening with you is "common". I am going to go with illness or bad food.

Give it a few more days and keep yourself hydrated.
    I'll definitely do that. Thanks for the advice.

jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hope you feel better!
    Contest Prep Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146273283&p=911273403&posted=1#post911273403

Twitter: FrigginLean
    YouTube: Jaim91

Unless you faint, puke, or die....keep walking
    - Jillian Michaels -

Just to give a quick update for anyone who may care, after another horrible day yesterday, I'm mostly better today and anticipate being 100% and back on Keto tomorrow.

xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was reading in a keto article linked to in one of the stickies that the part of your brain that controls nausea is right next to the part that controls appetite and fullness.. he concludes saying that it's natural to feel nautious sometimes after a fatty meal because it's telling your body is full and might like push over to that part of the brain or something. I dunno, I don't really understand anatomy.
    we sacrifice.

I read that too, but then I read that there is no center that controls appetite. It was thought there was for a while, but then that was changed.

I did end up with either the flu or food poisoning. My girlfriend was sick also with the same symptoms so that confirms it was not diet-related in my mind.

JK2006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JK2006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JK2006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JK2006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JK2006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JK2006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JK2006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JK2006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JK2006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JK2006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JK2006 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by xtrell View Post
    I was reading in a keto article linked to in one of the stickies that the part of your brain that controls nausea is right next to the part that controls appetite and fullness.. he concludes saying that it's natural to feel nautious sometimes after a fatty meal because it's telling your body is full and might like push over to that part of the brain or something. I dunno, I don't really understand anatomy.
    I have experienced this feeling for sure. I never had so much fats in one meal. I do get nauseated sometimes...in between meals...but it happened only for the first 2 days or so. Very interesting.

It has happenned to me earlier when I felt like puking after taking 2 tbsp of flax oil. On another note, flax oil gives me diaohhrea so I use fish oil.

To OP..nice to know you're feeling better...it can be a real pain to be ill when doing a metabolic change to your body. Keep it going!!
    Wt: 170 lbs BF: ~20% H: 5'9''
    Currently cutting: Goal 150 lbs by March 2008

My blog: http://kartikjayaraman.blogspot.com
    For Desis (Desi Fitness and health): http://www.desifitness.com

xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I get nausea all the time I just am used to it now. It only lasts 5-10 minutes and it's just in the background of my physical feeling.

Yeah, I basically puke when I drink any kind of oil; it's that or I feel completely nauseated for a good hour afterwards. I stopped doing that.
    we sacrifice.

Originally Posted by JK2006 View Post
    To OP..nice to know you're feeling better...it can be a real pain to be ill when doing a metabolic change to your body. Keep it going!!
    Thanks. It was just a real downer getting that sick just after starting the diet and being all excited to do so. Just a horrible coincidence. Strange that I found that same thing happened to a few other people as well. Oh well.