Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered User afi133's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Age: 29
    Stats: 5'9", 190 lbs
    Posts: 30
    BodyPoints: 562
    Rep Power: 0
    afi133 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit afi133's BodySpace
    afi133 is offline

    Feeling sick on 3rd day - normal or flu?

    For starters, my current diet is here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...&postcount=563

    I PM'd Eileen about this but I also realize she's busy and would like as much input as possible.

    The reason I ask is because yesterday (the second day on Keto), I suddenly hot an onset of bad upset stomach/diarrhea and flu-like symptoms (chills, slight aches, a headache). I've read some older threads, and they seem to go back and forth between saying that's normal for the "induction" into ketosis and saying that the person is actually suffering from the flu. No one around me is sick and I don't believe I have the flu, but I also can't say for certain.

    This happened around 6:30pm, after my tuna meal (I swapped the ordering of my meals around.) I slept a bit and at 11:23pm I felt slightly better stomach-wise but still have body aches and a headache.

    I woke up today and decided to test myself for ketones and I tested positive in the large (dark purple - 150) range. I'm still suffering from diarrhea and cannot eat anything due to feeling nauseous still. I'm still aching and I have a headache also.

    Is this just from 'induction' into ketosis and not enough water/fiber? Or is it something else?

    Update: I had the usual eggs for breakfast and while I thought I was feeling better, I ended up in the bathroom yet again. What's wrong with me?
    Last edited by afi133; 02-19-2007 at 10:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    StlBarbies b*tch fitnessman's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2001
    Stats: 5'9", 220 lbs
    Posts: 28,786
    BodyPoints: 21414
    Rep Power: 205610
    fitnessman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fitnessman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fitnessman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fitnessman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fitnessman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fitnessman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fitnessman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fitnessman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fitnessman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fitnessman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) fitnessman has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit fitnessman's BodySpace
    fitnessman is offline
    I disagree that what is happening with you is "common". I am going to go with illness or bad food.

    Give it a few more days and keep yourself hydrated.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User SSWTR's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2006
    Age: 38
    Posts: 49
    BodyPoints: 1135
    Rep Power: 0
    SSWTR will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit SSWTR's BodySpace
    SSWTR is offline
    Originally Posted by afi133 View Post
    For starters, my current diet is here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...&postcount=563

    I PM'd Eileen about this but I also realize she's busy and would like as much input as possible.

    The reason I ask is because yesterday (the second day on Keto), I suddenly hot an onset of bad upset stomach/diarrhea and flu-like symptoms (chills, slight aches, a headache). I've read some older threads, and they seem to go back and forth between saying that's normal for the "induction" into ketosis and saying that the person is actually suffering from the flu. No one around me is sick and I don't believe I have the flu, but I also can't say for certain.

    This happened around 6:30pm, after my tuna meal (I swapped the ordering of my meals around.) I slept a bit and at 11:23pm I felt slightly better stomach-wise but still have body aches and a headache.

    I woke up today and decided to test myself for ketones and I tested positive in the large (dark purple - 150) range. I'm still suffering from diarrhea and cannot eat anything due to feeling nauseous still. I'm still aching and I have a headache also.

    Is this just from 'induction' into ketosis and not enough water/fiber? Or is it something else?

    Update: I had the usual eggs for breakfast and while I thought I was feeling better, I ended up in the bathroom yet again. What's wrong with me?
    May be you eat infected egg and you have flu due to this just thought
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User afi133's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Age: 29
    Stats: 5'9", 190 lbs
    Posts: 30
    BodyPoints: 562
    Rep Power: 0
    afi133 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit afi133's BodySpace
    afi133 is offline
    Originally Posted by fitnessman View Post
    I disagree that what is happening with you is "common". I am going to go with illness or bad food.

    Give it a few more days and keep yourself hydrated.
    I'll definitely do that. Thanks for the advice.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Evil Twin #2 jaim91's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Location: Canada
    Stats: 5'7", 155 lbs
    Posts: 25,349
    BodyPoints: 31351
    Rep Power: 9611
    jaim91 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jaim91 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jaim91 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jaim91 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jaim91 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jaim91 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jaim91 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jaim91 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jaim91 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jaim91 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jaim91 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit jaim91's BodySpace
    jaim91 is offline
    Hope you feel better!
    Contest Prep Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146273283&p=911273403&posted=1#post911273403

    Twitter: FrigginLean
    YouTube: Jaim91

    Unless you faint, puke, or die....keep walking
    - Jillian Michaels -
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User afi133's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Age: 29
    Stats: 5'9", 190 lbs
    Posts: 30
    BodyPoints: 562
    Rep Power: 0
    afi133 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit afi133's BodySpace
    afi133 is offline
    Just to give a quick update for anyone who may care, after another horrible day yesterday, I'm mostly better today and anticipate being 100% and back on Keto tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User xtrell's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2006
    Age: 26
    Stats: 5'9", 190 lbs
    Posts: 643
    BodyPoints: 3279
    Rep Power: 18
    xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit xtrell's BodySpace
    xtrell is offline
    I was reading in a keto article linked to in one of the stickies that the part of your brain that controls nausea is right next to the part that controls appetite and fullness.. he concludes saying that it's natural to feel nautious sometimes after a fatty meal because it's telling your body is full and might like push over to that part of the brain or something. I dunno, I don't really understand anatomy.
    we sacrifice.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User afi133's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Age: 29
    Stats: 5'9", 190 lbs
    Posts: 30
    BodyPoints: 562
    Rep Power: 0
    afi133 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit afi133's BodySpace
    afi133 is offline
    I read that too, but then I read that there is no center that controls appetite. It was thought there was for a while, but then that was changed.

    I did end up with either the flu or food poisoning. My girlfriend was sick also with the same symptoms so that confirms it was not diet-related in my mind.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User JK2006's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Location: California, United States
    Age: 35
    Stats: 5'8", 161 lbs
    Posts: 883
    BodyPoints: 2483
    Rep Power: 25
    JK2006 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JK2006 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JK2006 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JK2006 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JK2006 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JK2006 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JK2006 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JK2006 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JK2006 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JK2006 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JK2006 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit JK2006's BodySpace
    JK2006 is offline
    Originally Posted by xtrell View Post
    I was reading in a keto article linked to in one of the stickies that the part of your brain that controls nausea is right next to the part that controls appetite and fullness.. he concludes saying that it's natural to feel nautious sometimes after a fatty meal because it's telling your body is full and might like push over to that part of the brain or something. I dunno, I don't really understand anatomy.
    I have experienced this feeling for sure. I never had so much fats in one meal. I do get nauseated sometimes...in between meals...but it happened only for the first 2 days or so. Very interesting.

    It has happenned to me earlier when I felt like puking after taking 2 tbsp of flax oil. On another note, flax oil gives me diaohhrea so I use fish oil.

    To OP..nice to know you're feeling better...it can be a real pain to be ill when doing a metabolic change to your body. Keep it going!!
    Wt: 170 lbs BF: ~20% H: 5'9''
    Currently cutting: Goal 150 lbs by March 2008

    My blog: http://kartikjayaraman.blogspot.com
    For Desis (Desi Fitness and health): http://www.desifitness.com
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User xtrell's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2006
    Age: 26
    Stats: 5'9", 190 lbs
    Posts: 643
    BodyPoints: 3279
    Rep Power: 18
    xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xtrell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit xtrell's BodySpace
    xtrell is offline
    I get nausea all the time I just am used to it now. It only lasts 5-10 minutes and it's just in the background of my physical feeling.

    Yeah, I basically puke when I drink any kind of oil; it's that or I feel completely nauseated for a good hour afterwards. I stopped doing that.
    we sacrifice.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User afi133's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Age: 29
    Stats: 5'9", 190 lbs
    Posts: 30
    BodyPoints: 562
    Rep Power: 0
    afi133 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit afi133's BodySpace
    afi133 is offline
    Originally Posted by JK2006 View Post
    To OP..nice to know you're feeling better...it can be a real pain to be ill when doing a metabolic change to your body. Keep it going!!
    Thanks. It was just a real downer getting that sick just after starting the diet and being all excited to do so. Just a horrible coincidence. Strange that I found that same thing happened to a few other people as well. Oh well.
    Reply With Quote

Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout