Thread: Fat Boy Complex

mmiszlay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fat Boy Complex

I was wondering how someone can get rid of the fat boy/girl complex.

I went from 280 lbs. to my current 170 ish, but I still see myself as being overweight. I know that I am not, but I cannot help but see myself at my old body image.

If there is any tips or advice to help beat this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist. He/She would be able to help improve your mental state far more then anyone here could.

TheAesir will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAesir will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAesir will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAesir will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAesir will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAesir will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAesir will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAesir will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAesir will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAesir will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAesir will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Vaylor View Post
    I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist. He/She would be able to help improve your mental state far more then anyone here could.
    That's not necessary at all. I've asked this same question not a week ago to miscers who've lost 100+lbs and they all said it sticks around for a bit but eventually you get used to who you are now.

Hope the helps OP

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mmiszlay View Post

I went from 280 lbs. to my current 170 ish, but I still see myself as being overweight. I know that I am not, but I cannot help but see myself at my old body image.

If there is any tips or advice to help beat this, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Well, what does "overweight" mean to you? There's a lot of different ways to define that. Nail down the specifics of your own definition so you can make a clearer judgement.

I think this is what drives a lot of us to strive for low bodyfat levels, thinking we're fat until we've absolutely no visible fat left. That's a ****ty definition.

ThySparticus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThySparticus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThySparticus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThySparticus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThySparticus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThySparticus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThySparticus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThySparticus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThySparticus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThySparticus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThySparticus is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Other than time, the best thing you can do is keep interacting with people. It'll suck at first but then it becomes easier. My last piece of advice would be to stop overanalyzing everything you do. In theory analyzing every aspect of our lives might seem a great idea to get rid of "flaws" but in reality it does nothing but waste your time and promote giving too many fcks.

You did an awesome job bro, let your accomplishment stand for yourself and not something measured by how people might see you.
    Start now, everyday you wait is a day you'll regret.

Thanks for the input everyone. I know this has to be a problem for a lot of people and knowing how to deal with this can be very helpful.

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Overweight or not that's not even important. Not too many of us care about weight as much as a look. Maybe if you got very lean you'd get rid of your complex.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Once you start getting compliments about your transformation you'll most likely ease out of your complex. Don't worry about it so much, it'll come in time.

scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I understand where you're coming from you will always see and focus in on your imperfections my suggestion get out hang out with friends and you'll start to realize you are in better shape than 9 out of 10 people out there and you will get used to being treated differently. I know as someone coming from a bit over 300 lbs to where I am now the difference is huge not just random people but people you work with etc. You're noticeable leaner than I am you look good I hope to look close to that when I get to 165-170 and will then start planning my slow bulk.
    Rebooted 2/24/2015: 286 lbs

Started at 317 lbs in Feb 2012 Ended 172.2 in October 2013.

^Former 300+lb Crew^

MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It takes a while. For whatever reason I find my brain/mental self-image lags behind my body quite a bit.

After a while, the day to day feelings 'fat boy' feelings will fade. This will make things easier, but you always need to be on guard for the occasional flare ups.

Generally I find that doing things that used to generate anxiety when I was overweight take the longest to 'fix'. For instance, I got on a plane six months ago and I nearly had an anxiety attack - I haven't been on one since I was morbidly obese and even though I *knew* I was going to fit into a seat I still had the elevated pulse, adrenaline dumping, self-shaming feelings coming back in force. It lasted long after I was sitting in my seat with the belt buckled. (The last time I was on a plane I had the indignity of the 'extra belt required' to buckle.)

Also I still get flashes when trying to 'squeeze through' places and especially between people.
    330->210. Drop me a PM if you're just getting started and want some advice.
    Do what you love and you'll never workout a day in your life.

vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Also OP, remember you are on BB.com. Plenty people on here post pics, are told BF is high and they should cut. In the bodybuilding world this might be sound advice but remember in the real world that same person is probably in better shape then 90% of the country. Keep things in perspective.
    -Former 300lb club

My Transformation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlEs4py6FUs

My YouTube Page: http://www.youtube.com/feedingfitness

"Obsessed is a term lazy people use to describe the dedicated."

Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by vismal View Post
    Also OP, remember you are on BB.com. Plenty people on here post pics, are told BF is high and they should cut. In the bodybuilding world this might be sound advice but remember in the real world that same person is probably in better shape then 90% of the country. Keep things in perspective.
    ^^Strong This

A bodybuilder at 15-20% body fat is considered out of shape. Among the normal population that is considered healthy and fit. Even among athletes in other sports, 15% pretty standard fair if you look at Football/Baseball/Basketball/Soccer. (Wrestlers/Boxers/MMA are different due to weight classes)
    My Reverse Diet Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153750981&p=1077733831#post1077733831

Ghost1th3dark is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ghost1th3dark is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ghost1th3dark is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ghost1th3dark is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ghost1th3dark is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ghost1th3dark is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ghost1th3dark is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ghost1th3dark is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ghost1th3dark is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ghost1th3dark is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ghost1th3dark is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was fat for most of my life. If you're like me, you see fat stages of life as a really weak point in your life and any/all bodyfat you see reminds you of when you weren't in as good of shape as you are now. I, for the longest time, only saw my flaws. What I do suggest to you though is to compile pictures, say one every few weeks. Don't look at them. Just take your picture and leave it alone. Down the road, say four months or so, maybe even more, look at those pictures start to finish and as long as you keep on Target with you macros and lifting I promise you you'll get a bit of an ego boost

Originally Posted by Ghost1th3dark View Post
    I was fat for most of my life. If you're like me, you see fat stages of life as a really weak point in your life and any/all bodyfat you see reminds you of when you weren't in as good of shape as you are now. I, for the longest time, only saw my flaws. What I do suggest to you though is to compile pictures, say one every few weeks. Don't look at them. Just take your picture and leave it alone. Down the road, say four months or so, maybe even more, look at those pictures start to finish and as long as you keep on Target with you macros and lifting I promise you you'll get a bit of an ego boost

That's a great idea.

joeltcyp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    She would be able to help improve your mental state far more then anyone here could.

MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    OP. I honestly can relate to what you are saying. I see my imperfections all the time and have trouble focusing on the progress I've made more than anything. I have my wife at home who tells me I'm an idiot and tells me to not obsess about it every time I start talking like that and knocks some sense into me.

There were some great responses in this thread man. Repped a few people.

madhessian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhessian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhessian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhessian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhessian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhessian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhessian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhessian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhessian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhessian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhessian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Everyday just do something you know you couldn't do when you were heavier. Run/walk a faster, longer distance. Lift a weight you couldn't back when you started out. Look in the mirror and revel in what you've accomplished, Breathe in deeply, enjoy the simple act of being able to tie your shoes without straining to bend. Accept, and learn to enjoy, the compliments from people, that knew you before you got into shape. Know that everyone that meets you for the first time, never knew the heavy, out of shape person, you were. Forgive yourself for your caloric sins of the past, and learn to like yourself again. Remember, don't always dwell on how far you have to go, think about how far you've come.