peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help on How to Push Past a Plateau

I'll just say it: I'm lost! I started lifting Jan of last year but stopped in July. I picked it back up in Jan of this year and have been consistent. I just ended a 12 wk program (upper/lower split 4 days/wk) and am appalled that my before and after shots are identical. I've lost 6 lbs (mainly water/alcohol bloat), but haven't moved the scale in about 5-6 wks. I don't care so much about the scale, but those pictures really deflated me! Unholy belly fat!

I am 5'1", 119 lbs now and consume ~1275 calories/day (rest day) and around 1400 calories a day on lifting days. I track every single bite that goes into my mouth - almost to the point of OCD. As of last week, I have completely cut out cardio hoping I can move the scale. Prior to that I trained for and ran a marathon at the end of Feb. I decided to stop cardio altogether if in case maybe I was in too big of a deficit from the distance running.

Now looking back at where I was this time last year (114 lbs, and showing good progress each month in my pics) I'm wondering if I revert back to what I did back then - cardio daily without exception and a net calories of around 950 (1400 food - 450 in cardio/wts = 950 net. Right now my net is 1150 on workout days. Do I rock the boat and start killing myself with cardio again or give the no cardio thing some more time? I could really, really, really, use some opinions.
    Last edited by peachiz76; 04-02-2013 at 09:55 AM.

bubbathudd is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bubbathudd is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bubbathudd is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bubbathudd is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bubbathudd is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bubbathudd is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bubbathudd is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bubbathudd is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bubbathudd is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bubbathudd is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bubbathudd is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by peachiz76 View Post
    I'll just say it: I'm lost! I started lifting Jan of last year but stopped in July. I picked it back up in Jan of this year and have been consistent. I just ended a 12 wk program (upper/lower split 4 days/wk) and am appalled that my before and after shots are identical. I've lost 6 lbs (mainly water/alcohol bloat), but haven't moved the scale in about 5-6 wks. I don't care so much about the scale, but those pictures really deflated me! Unholy belly fat!

I am 5'1", 119 lbs now and consume ~1275 calories/day (rest day) and around 1400 calories a day on lifting days. I track every single bite that goes into my mouth - almost to the point of OCD. As of last week, I have completely cut out cardio hoping I can move the scale. Prior to that I trained for and ran a marathon at the end of Feb. I decided to stop cardio altogether if in case maybe I was in too big of a deficit from the distance running.

Now looking back at where I was this time last year (114 lbs, and showing good progress each month in my pics) I'm wondering if I revert back to what I did back then - cardio daily without exception and a net calories of around 950 (1400 food - 450 in cardio/wts = 950 net. Right now my net is 1150 on workout days. Do I rock the boat and start killing myself with cardio again or give the no cardio thing some more time? I could really, really, really, use some opinions.
    Maybe try eating at maintence for 10-14 days and resetting? Then get back to it.

stealpulse is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stealpulse is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stealpulse is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stealpulse is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stealpulse is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stealpulse is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stealpulse is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stealpulse is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stealpulse is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stealpulse is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stealpulse is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If it were me I would add in some cardio at the end of the weight sessions. I do calisthenics at the end in lieu of the hampster contraptions.

Also, intensity is key to results, at least for me.
    Thick. Solid. Tight.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try rotating calories daily.
    If 1400 calories is your base an example would be 1000 day 1, 1400 day 2, 1800 day 3,then back to day 1 and start over.
    If you do cardio consider interval training if you aren't already doing it.
    One minute fast one minute moderate or incline then lower incline.
    If you research interval training you'll find it's great for weight/fat loss.
    Move quickly in your workouts with minimal rest between sets.
    Just a few ideas.

peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachiz76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I love all of the ideas - thank you all. Maintenance for me is about 1637 - that is ([9.99 x 53.97 (kg)] + [6.25 x 154.94 (cm)] - [4.92 x 36 (years)] -161 x Activity Factor of 1.4. I do think I should eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks to reset a metabolism that's probably shot after about 20 yrs of fad/yo-yo dieting, marathon and triathlon training. Then after that, I would like to do interval training like HIIT or Insanity again. 30 mins of cardio + an hour of weights for me is about 500 calories burned. So would you suggest I continue eating at maintenance once I incorporate the cardio back into my plan? That would leave me at a net of 1137 a day. Or could I go even deaper and eat a couple hundred below deficit on top of cardio and weights for a net around 950-ish? (Too aggressive?)

Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    What is your protein intake?

Originally Posted by Brad805 View Post
    What is your protein intake?
    My protein is between 120-125g / day. Fat is 35-40g a day and Carbs vary based on whatever calories I have left.

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I am 5'1", 119 lbs now and consume ~1275 calories/day (rest day) and around 1400 calories a day on lifting days. I track every single bite that goes into my mouth - almost to the point of OCD.
    Does this include using a scale for meats and nuts? Because you can't claim OCD until you are weighing salad.

Now looking back at where I was this time last year cardio daily without exception and (1400 food)
    I don't see a big difference after removing your deductions for arbitrary calories burned figures. You are making this too complicated.

Your macros in the most recent post don't look too far off. Assuming your weighing foods and the tracker values you are using are right. Somewhere around 1400-1600 looks like current maint. Stop changing things. Pick a cardio level that makes you happy and do it consistently . Eat say 1600 a day and see if you break even weight wise in a month. It's then just a matter of reducing calories and keeping your preferred training the same. If you don't establish certain boundaries you will chase your tail forever attempting to calculate a value rather than obtain one.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

[QUOTE=EjnarKolinkar;1049197221] You are making this too complicated.

Stop changing things. /QUOTE]

^^^^
    My two main problems!

...Keeping strong! HumblyMuscles's Avatar
    HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000)
    Garagerat is right, work out your calories for the week, not the day, then vary your calories over the week. This will not give your metabolism a chance to reset to a lower rate.
    Theres a bit of a new craze in Australia atm, it's called Intermittent fasting. There's a great article on it in the latest "Mens Health" ( Australian Edition ). The theory is to eat all your calories in an 8 hour window, then fast for the other 16 hours of the day ( except for water, green tea etc ) So say eat between 12pm and 8pm. Bit of anecdotal evidence people are dropping a few Kgs in a few weeks on this- no scientific evidence yet though.

Cardio is always good too!! Try different activities that don't feel like exercise- climb some rocks, run on the beach, go for a swim, do a martial arts class or mountain bike ride. Make it fun and those kilos will drop off!

Best of luck!
    People asking questions lost in confusion, Well I tell them there's no problem,
    Only solutions... John Lennon

If the mind can conceive, the body can achieve.

My best genetic bodypart is my Mind...

++Positive Crew++

4th Dan Black Belt Taekwondo ( W.T.F. ) Former Instructor

Originally Posted by HumblyMuscles View Post
    Garagerat is right, work out your calories for the week, not the day, then vary your calories over the week. This will not give your metabolism a chance to reset to a lower rate.
    Theres a bit of a new craze in Australia atm, it's called Intermittent fasting. There's a great article on it in the latest "Mens Health" ( Australian Edition ). The theory is to eat all your calories in an 8 hour window, then fast for the other 16 hours of the day ( except for water, green tea etc ) So say eat between 12pm and 8pm. Bit of anecdotal evidence people are dropping a few Kgs in a few weeks on this- no scientific evidence yet though.

Cardio is always good too!! Try different activities that don't feel like exercise- climb some rocks, run on the beach, go for a swim, do a martial arts class or mountain bike ride. Make it fun and those kilos will drop off!

Best of luck!

Thanks HM! I actually did Intermittent Fasting in the Spring of last year and loved it. Being only 5'1" and having so few calories, I loved it because I could actually eat real "big people" sized meals with my friends at dinner as opposed to being limited by calories to just a chicken salad. I liked having my calories spread between just two big meals as opposed to 5 small meals. I think it's time to go back to that.

As for the cardio, since I am now training for an off road triathlon I will be getting a lot more variation - mountain biking, trail running and swimming. That should help too.

Thanks everyone for the advise. I know that consistency (with any one cardio plan) is my problem. Also, I can't help but wonder if the IIFYM idea may have some exceptions. On the weekends I will have a couple of glasses of wine with friends and while I am still hitting protein and within my calorie range, it seems like it sets me back. It usually takes several days to just get the bloat off again. I'm thinking that little nonsense needs to stop....ugh. (boo hiss!)

jasencha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I hit my first plateau I went Keto. Super low carbs (less than 30) for about 10 days. Made an incredible difference. What I've learned about my body is I am super carb sensitive. I have to keep them below 150 day to maximize my weight loss. I also do weights + cardio.

...Keeping strong! HumblyMuscles's Avatar
    HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000)
    The Off road Triathlon sounds interesting! You'd probably smash me in that, my riding is OK, running, well it's getting better, and my swimming - that sucks thanks to a long term shoulder problem. I try to steer clear of alcohol too, about 1 beer every couple of weeks is about it- and then I'm anyones- OK just kidding about the last part.
    Well I'm off on holidays tomorrow for a week, so I'm looking forward to a week off. I'll miss the Gym, but it will be here when I'm back, maybe I'll grow a bit of muscle as I rest....! Stay safe, Cheers!
    People asking questions lost in confusion, Well I tell them there's no problem,
    Only solutions... John Lennon

If the mind can conceive, the body can achieve.

My best genetic bodypart is my Mind...

++Positive Crew++

4th Dan Black Belt Taekwondo ( W.T.F. ) Former Instructor