pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Barbell vs Trap Bar Deadlifts

Is the trap bar deadlift essentially a mix between squats and regular deadlifts? The trap bar takes the stress off the spine, it seems, but isn't the point of deadlifts to target the lower back?

On the other hand, if the trap bar deadlift allows you to lift the most wait, I can see why it would be beneficial.

How do most people incorporate the trap bar into your deadlifting routine?

Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do trap bar deadlift first in my back day, i'm curious to know if there's really that big of a difference between the two when it comes to weight usage.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Trap bar deadlift is more akin to a squat than conventional deadlift.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pre04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How much more can a person typically lift with the trap bar that straight bar?

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    it's basically like performing a DB squat.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by k9pit View Post
    it's basically like performing a DB squat.
    This.

But it is easier to load it heavy enough, since most gyms don't have very heavy DBs.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

vborn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vborn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vborn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vborn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vborn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vborn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by pre04 View Post
    Is the trap bar deadlift essentially a mix between squats and regular deadlifts? The trap bar takes the stress off the spine, it seems, but isn't the point of deadlifts to target the lower back?

On the other hand, if the trap bar deadlift allows you to lift the most wait, I can see why it would be beneficial.

I use the Trap-Bar Deadlift when I'm running more of a bodybuilder split and I can't have my lower back be sore for days. It hits my Quads harder than conventional, and doesn't seem to work the spinal muscles as well, so I wouldn't do Trap-Bar forever in place of conventional. There may be less Lats in Trap-Bar too, since you're not pressing the bar into yourself.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is the trap bar deadlift essentially a mix between squats and regular deadlifts?
    Yes. It is a sort of squat like movement where you pull the bar from dead stop on the floor(hence deadlift).

The trap bar takes the stress off the spine, it seems....
    Yes it does, uses less back, more leg drive.

.... but isn't the point of deadlifts to target the lower back?
    No. The deadlift is not some isolation movement or specialized movement. To target low back strength and development:

Hyperextensions, goodmornings(my favorite).

It is a whole body movement that allows a human with normal skeleton to pull the maximum weight off the floor. The poundage potential is greater even than squat to parallel.

I don't know if it allows you to use more weight than conventional. But it sure feels easier than stiff leg dead for the same weight and reps.

Just started using it to replace SLDS in my 5 3 1 program(knee issues meant avoiding conventional deads for a long time).

Some people use it to replace squats. Unless there is a compelling reason, that might not be a good idea.

You can make TBD even more of a squat lift by doing deficit trap bar deads. Stand on a 3" platform of plates/plywood and off you go. Much more leg drive required.

Modern trap bars are really cheap. But most of them now have two handle heights. The higher grip allows you to use a ton more weight,because of the reduced ROM. But it uses less leg. So it is like a low rack pull from below the knees, or a deadlift from boxes(the boxes being under the plates).
    Last edited by jgreystoke; 04-02-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

anonymous
    when i used to do them I did them pretty much just like deadlifts with the back and PC lifting the weight. I don't understand this 'its like a squat' thing, but I guess it depends how you do the lift.

its a great lift, alternate that, rack pulls and RDLs and you have it all covered BB-wise

www.ABFitnessTrainer.com italianplaya30's Avatar
    italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    trap bar deadlifts mimic closely squats...i would say its good to interchange them
    AB Fitness Center
    (The Best Personal Training Gym to Work for in NY)
    Apply Below
    www.ABFitnessCenter.com/career
    Instagram: @abfitness
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by Halfway View Post
    when i used to do them I did them pretty much just like deadlifts with the back and PC lifting the weight. I don't understand this 'its like a squat' thing, but I guess it depends how you do the lift.
    The most natural way to lift with you standing inside the bar is to squat the weight up with a more upright spine. Also the grips tend to be wider apart than your hand position for either conventional or sumo on a normal bar. That forces you to use more ROM, usually even more leg, less back.

Originally Posted by Halfway View Post
    its a great lift, alternate that, rack pulls and RDLs and you have it all covered BB-wise
    That sounds about ideal combination.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Trap bar deadlift is basically a leg press with the bar in your hands. Not as good as a squat for leg development and not as good as a conventional deadlift for back development.

anonymous
    im sure my short legs and long torso affected my leverage, I did have a lot of forward lean when doing them especially with heavier weight.

It's a lift I miss terribly, unfortunately it causes my piriformis syndrome to flare up massively even when done with light weight

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I've been doing trap bar deadlifts with 25lb plates as a squat replacement. The smaller diameter plates provide for a greater range of motion. The same effect can be had wiith larger plates by standing on a platform.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but it seemed better then making a new one lol
    I have the infamous "butt-wink" issue, I put this down to a mobility issue but I have also injured my lower back a few times now (agitation of the discs) according to the doctor.

I find I can do the hex bar deadlift without getting any butt-wink

So my question being could I get the same/similar results doing the hex bar deadlift as opposed to a conventional deadlift?
    I understand the HBD to involve more legs & puts less pressure on the spine, but would it still involve the same back recruitment?
    Only other way I see of getting around it is doing a conventional deadlift on a platform (kind of like a lower rack pull).

I have a similar issue when trying to do parallel squats which due to that I've swapped out of my routine for leg press machine due to not wanting to agitate my lower back again.

Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to this?
    Would it be fine to just continue down the road of doing hex bar deads/leg press instead of conventional deads/back squats with similar results?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
    “The only thing standing between you & your goal is the bullsh*t story you keep telling yourself as to why you cant achieve it”