Thread: Lamar Cage

FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lamar Cage

Anyone know any other cages that are as deep as the Lamar Cage? I looked at one yesterday and really liked it but the wife is raining on my happiness because she thinks it is too expensive. The body-solid rack was about $135 cheaper than the Lamar rack but they didn't have it set up so I don't know how the depth stacked up compared to he lamar. I'm pretty tall so it was nice to be able to do good mornings inside the rack without a problem on the Lamar.

BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by FrankNBeans View Post
    Anyone know any other cages that are as deep as the Lamar Cage? I looked at one yesterday and really liked it but the wife is raining on my happiness because she thinks it is too expensive. The body-solid rack was about $135 cheaper than the Lamar rack but they didn't have it set up so I don't know how the depth stacked up compared to he lamar. I'm pretty tall so it was nice to be able to do good mornings inside the rack without a problem on the Lamar.
    The BS cage is significantly smaller. You get what you pay for. Go with the Lamar cage................

kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BusyDizzyIzzy View Post
    The BS cage is significantly smaller. You get what you pay for. Go with the Lamar cage................
    How do you mean? The GPR378 is a verry deep rack. I don't think that this lamar rack has more depth. I own the GPR378 and one of its advantages is that it's a loth deeper then other racks like the powertec for example.

Big Shiny Bastard vikingsrule92's Avatar
    vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kolonelkutz View Post
    How do you mean? The GPR378 is a verry deep rack. I don't think that this lamar rack has more depth. I own the GPR378 and one of its advantages is that it's a loth deeper then other racks like the powertec for example.
    Ummm, no because the Body Solid rack is 49" long while the lamar cage is 68". That is a very significant difference in depth and I have to agree with BDI here, you get what you pay for so buy the best, go with Lamar.

mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't think that this lamar rack has more depth.
    Ummmm, no, I guarantee you it does.
    Go look at one yourself in person and you'll see why people are so impressed.

Frank, the only one I have seen that was anywhere near as deep was the Nautilus NT 1200 power cage (no longer made), but I think Lamar bought the design rights because the two look pretty much the same. Just get the Lamar and tell her you got it for the BS price.....you aren't going to find a better cage if you're tall (believe me, I've tried to find cheaper and I keep coming back to the Lamar cage because it just fits better and you really do get what you pay for).

Here's the NT 1200
    Last edited by mtl; 02-24-2007 at 10:20 AM.

C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd need to see pics to be able to see where the size differences are. All racks are basically the same width because they're all designed to work with a typical 7' olympic barbell. Height-wise they're mostly the same too. The depth is where they can vary.

I don't know what the 49" and 68" refer to, but it's not the distance between the front and rear uprights. I've had the entry-level Body Solid cage and a Northern Lights cage and both were 24" between the uprights front to back. I think that's pretty typical. My current cage it just a hair under 32".

The depth measurement you read online or in the specs most likely refers to how deep the cage is along its bottom edge, which could be considerably larger than how deep it is between the uprights.

mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by C Man View Post
    The depth measurement you read online or in the specs most likely refers to how deep the cage is along its bottom edge, which could be considerably larger than how deep it is between the uprights.
    Yes, that's true, but on some cages the lat attachment behind you is a little too close for comfort when your doing lifts so the extra distance back there helps taller people not feel so cramped. Most of the cages have similar distances between the width and depth of the uprights but some may be deeper than others by a few inches there too.

BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BusyDizzyIzzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Some pics below.

The Lamar cage basically gives you about 44" side to side and 36" inside the upright measurements front to back. Most cages are around 24" front to back space. The Lamar is a realtively big cage. And be aware that its uprights are 2"x4" of 11 guage with 3/8" thick steel support plates.

And yes, the entire Lamar line is based off the original Nautilus lineup. Basically all Lamar equipment is an update/improvement over Nautilus's original design lineup in both design and materials used. Its no coincidence that the CEO/founder of Lamar used to be the CEO of Nautilus as well.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by BusyDizzyIzzy; 02-24-2007 at 04:35 PM.

kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kolonelkutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by C Man View Post
    I'd need to see pics to be able to see where the size differences are. All racks are basically the same width because they're all designed to work with a typical 7' olympic barbell. Height-wise they're mostly the same too. The depth is where they can vary.

I don't know what the 49" and 68" refer to, but it's not the distance between the front and rear uprights. I've had the entry-level Body Solid cage and a Northern Lights cage and both were 24" between the uprights front to back. I think that's pretty typical. My current cage it just a hair under 32".

You have to look at the depth between the uprights, idd. I would be surprised if the Lamar is deeper than the body solid. The body-solid uses allmost all of its dept of the base as a working area an the lamar does not at all...

edit; looking at the pics I think the functional depth of the two cages is quite similar. I'll post a pic of mine later on.

I've just checked and the depth of the body-solid is actually 34 inches, that makes it deeper than the lamar with 32 inches.
    Last edited by kolonelkutz; 02-24-2007 at 05:32 PM.

You have to look at the depth between the uprights, idd. I would be surprised if the Lamar is deeper than the body solid. The body-solid uses allmost all of its dept of the base as a working area an the lamar does not at all...

edit; looking at the pics I think the functional depth of the two cages is quite similar. I'll post a pic of mine later on.

I've just checked and the depth of the body-solid is actually 34 inches, that makes it deeper than the lamar with 32 inches.
    Check the post above, the Lamar is 36" inside the posts front to back. The BS is about 30" if Im correct inside the posts front to back. Regardless. 4-6 inches is significant, the Lamar is a better rack for the larger individual, not to mention its design is much more ridgid as well. Plus the Lamar has a much better safety rail system that also incorperates dip handles, not to mention its multi angle chin bar itself allows for more pull up variations.
    Last edited by BusyDizzyIzzy; 02-25-2007 at 06:21 AM.

rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How much for the lamar?

Originally Posted by rm41400 View Post
    How much for the lamar?
    You can probably find the rack itself for $400-600 without the lat attachment.

Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000)
    There was a loaded one on eBay recently that did not sell at $695

Originally Posted by Biggerfoot View Post
    There was a loaded one on eBay recently that did not sell at $695
    I saw that! Very good deal considering.
    If it wasn't all the way down in Texas I would have grabbed it.

You can probably find the rack itself for $400-600 without the lat attachment.
    Will Fittrax sell the LS536 for $400?
    If so I'm picking one up on my next trip to Boston.

rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rm41400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just curious....how smooth is the lat attachment compared to a commercial lat? Does it have bearings in it or plastic bushings? Looks fairly affordable folks, compared to an elite rack or some others you can save several hundred bucks if not over half!

For me, the only limiting factor would be its appearance compared to standard 3"x3" box tube. The unit looks a little soft...

MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mtl View Post
    Will Fittrax sell the LS536 for $400?
    If so I'm picking one up on my next trip to Boston.
    BDI, correct me if I'm wrong (you bought your's there, right?), but I think Fittrax quoted me a number north of $600 a couple weeks ago for just the Lamar rack. They sold out of it on Saturday two weeks ago. Of course, I called them on Sunday... Still waiting for them to get more in stock, then I'm driving out to pick one up... Much longer, though, and I'll look around online for someone who can ship it to me.

Enjoy,
    -Sean

Originally Posted by MaineWoods View Post
    BDI, correct me if I'm wrong (you bought your's there, right?), but I think Fittrax quoted me a number north of $600 a couple weeks ago for just the Lamar rack. They sold out of it on Saturday two weeks ago. Of course, I called them on Sunday... Still waiting for them to get more in stock, then I'm driving out to pick one up... Much longer, though, and I'll look around online for someone who can ship it to me.

Enjoy,
    -Sean
    Just tell them FitnessEquipmentEtc. In Salem NH is selling the rack for $500. Ask them to price match it. They should, if they don't get back to this thread.

FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrankNBeans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I ended up in the end going with the Body Solid rack. I got a much better deal on it and the place was just better to work with. I got it for about $200 less than the Lamar set up was going to cost me and that was with the 210lb weight stack. The place gave me 15% off which was pretty good. Also the place I bought it from is willing to take my old Dyna Pak F10 excercise machine when they deliver the equipment and they are even giving me a $100 for it so I don't have to hassle with selling it on craigslist.

The people at Koehlinger in Indianapolis where they sell the Lamar machine are some of the worst people I've dealt with. They aren't friendly and are hardly willing to help at all. They also were unwilling to give any kind of break on the price of the eqipment even though I was looking to purchase over $2000 worth of it.

I agree the Lamar equipment was nice and some what superior in some aspects but overall I couldn't justify the extra cost and the body solid had some nice features the Lamar didn't like the weight stack and the pull rods which are a lot quicker to use.

MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaineWoods has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just tell them FitnessEquipmentEtc. In Salem NH is selling the rack for $500. Ask them to price match it. They should, if they don't get back to this thread.
    FrankNBeans, hope you enjoy it.

BDI, I just called FitnessEquipmentEtc, and they're quoting $550 now. Still almost a hundred less than what Fittrax first quoted me, so worth giving it a try. (or just go to FitnessEquipmentEtc instead - they're both about the same distance from me)

Thanks,
    -Sean

Originally Posted by MaineWoods View Post
    FrankNBeans, hope you enjoy it.

BDI, I just called FitnessEquipmentEtc, and they're quoting $550 now. Still almost a hundred less than what Fittrax first quoted me, so worth giving it a try. (or just go to FitnessEquipmentEtc instead - they're both about the same distance from me)

Thanks,
    -Sean
    That's still nuts, it should be cheaper.
    Heck I can get it shipped to my door up here for $599 CDN which is about $509 USD

I agree the Lamar equipment was nice and some what superior in some aspects but overall I couldn't justify the extra cost and the body solid had some nice features the Lamar didn't like the weight stack and the pull rods which are a lot quicker to use.
    There is actually not one feature the BS sports that the Lamar doesn't itself have. But there are a number of features the Lamar does sport that the BS rack does not.
    The Lamar rack can be upgraded with a quick change weight stack for the lat attachment as well. In fact the Lamar lat attachment can be upgraded with up to 400lbs. on the weight stack plate set. The Lamar rack also features an adjustable full plate foot rest on the low row.
    The Lamar rack itself features quick change spring pin lock safety rails, along with 2 pairs of quick adjust spring pin lock J-hooks, dip handles that integrate into the safety rails, and a unique multi angle chin bar design.

You get quite alot for the money actually.

Like I said I was some what put off by the dealer that sold the lamar. They told me there are no dip handles for it which i know there are because i've seen othere who have them and then they also told me there was no plate stack. I'm not really concerned though I think I'll be happy with what I got and hopefully be able to see some big gains using it.

Like I said I was some what put off by the dealer that sold the lamar. They told me there are no dip handles for it which i know there are because i've seen othere who have them and then they also told me there was no plate stack. I'm not really concerned though I think I'll be happy with what I got and hopefully be able to see some big gains using it.
    Im sure the BS unit will do the job fine, I just wanted all the features of the Lamar equipment known with no misquotes of info.

Its too bad there are more putz dealers than reputable ones..........