JeremyKS2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink Inguinal Hernia recovery

I recently had Inguinal Hernia Surgery (2 weeks and a day now) to my left groin area, this is the second time I've had this surgery. I don't know exactly what I did to cause this, but trying to play it safe this time. After the surgery I took a week plus a few days off from work, going back only a couple days short of two weeks. But now I'm curious how to handle workouts, I know I have to wait before lifting, but can anyone give advice or recommend a program for getting back into the gym? Both Cardio and lifting and some sort of timeline would be really helpful and appreciated!

Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JeremyKS2 View Post
    I recently had Inguinal Hernia Surgery (2 weeks and a day now) to my left groin area, this is the second time I've had this surgery. I don't know exactly what I did to cause this, but trying to play it safe this time. After the surgery I took a week plus a few days off from work, going back only a couple days short of two weeks. But now I'm curious how to handle workouts, I know I have to wait before lifting, but can anyone give advice or recommend a program for getting back into the gym? Both Cardio and lifting and some sort of timeline would be really helpful and appreciated!
    Is it surgery on the same one, or was it a new one? Was the surgery laporscopic with mesh? If it is, my doctor told me 3 weeks, 21 days and you can resume all activity. Don't lift if it still hurts though, pain is an indicator that the mesh isn't fully secure in place yet. Plus you won't want to go heavy right away because of doms, so you will slowly get back in to it over the next few weeks after. But just follow doctors orders first.

darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The last time I had surgery for one of these (last year) the doc told me to wait 6 weeks before going to work or any activities really. It sucked. And a year later nothing really feels right yet, I kinda wish I hadnt had the mest implant now.

Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by darkdragon99 View Post
    The last time I had surgery for one of these (last year) the doc told me to wait 6 weeks before going to work or any activities really. It sucked. And a year later nothing really feels right yet, I kinda wish I hadnt had the mest implant now.
    What? Your surgeon must have sucked then. I can't even feel my mesh anymore, it's only seven to eight weeks out and I'm lifting heavier then before my surgery and I'm fine. So glad I got it done because I was in so much pain before. Trust me the old traditional method would have been way worse. Stretching the opening back and stitching it up would have caused you more pain in longer recovery, plus you would always have a week point in that spot where a re-occurrence would likely happen again. Mesh is the best way to go, if it still hurts, or your having problems I'd go see another surgeon.

darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    When I was a small child (around 4 years old) I had one on the same side and they repaired it the old way without mesh. It didnt bother me anywhere near as much with mesh. Allthough it ripped again 20 years later.

Maybe mine sucks so bad this time because its the 2nd time the area has been cut. But Ive been back to the doc on mutliple occasions about the pain and they keep saying everything is fine no hernia. So I just deal with it and train carefully.

China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Hi,

I had the surgery about 6 weeks ago, I had a bilateral so one on each side. I went with the open surgery with mesh rather than the laporoscopic. Laproscopic will heal faster but it carries more risk of complications DURING the surgery. After the surgery is over, other than recovery time both methods end up being the same.

For about 3 weeks I just walked around, did lots of long walks and easy hikes. during the 4th week, I started riding the bike in the gym, jogging and lots of jumprope.

At 6 weeks now, im getting longer runs and rides in, about 2000 jumps a day with the jumprope. I started lifting this week, just basic stuff 5x5 program with just the bar and everything feels good, I will slowly start adding weight but im not in a rush.

Ive been back to the muay thai gym several times and everything is feeling good. I feel the mesh a bit but im sure that will be less and less as time goes on. Good luck with your recovery.

When I was a small child (around 4 years old) I had one on the same side and they repaired it the old way without mesh. It didnt bother me anywhere near as much with mesh. Allthough it ripped again 20 years later.

Maybe mine sucks so bad this time because its the 2nd time the area has been cut. But Ive been back to the doc on mutliple occasions about the pain and they keep saying everything is fine no hernia. So I just deal with it and train carefully.
    I don't think it's the mesh that bothers you then. It's the reoccurrence that sucks. I heard it's always hurts way worse the second time. Good news is with the mesh, the reoccurrence rate is between 1-5%. It's very hard once that mesh is in place to blow it out and if you do you will be in some major pain. I wouldn't even worry about it though. Another thing that could be going on is maybe they tacked the mesh down on some sensitive tissue, a place where you have more nerves? I would assume even then over time it should get better as the tacks dissolve (may take a year or so). Either way the new method is loads better than the old, as in your case it re-opened over time.

Mine surgery was mesh, to the same side. This is the second time. He said I may have tried going to hard, to fast with the lifting.

Mine surgery was mesh, to the same side. This is the second time. He said I may have tried going to hard, to fast with the lifting.

Originally Posted by Ramborage View Post
    I don't think it's the mesh that bothers you then. It's the reoccurrence that sucks. I heard it's always hurts way worse the second time. Good news is with the mesh, the reoccurrence rate is between 1-5%. It's very hard once that mesh is in place to blow it out and if you do you will be in some major pain. I wouldn't even worry about it though. Another thing that could be going on is maybe they tacked the mesh down on some sensitive tissue, a place where you have more nerves? I would assume even then over time it should get better as the tacks dissolve (may take a year or so). Either way the new method is loads better than the old, as in your case it re-opened over time.
    I dont know what causes all the discomfort for sure. I know that after this surgery my right side hurts alot now as well. Been back to the doc so many times in the past year scared that I got another hernia. I just learned to deal with it. Hopefully it will eventually get better.

LaoDing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

I dont know what causes all the discomfort for sure. I know that after this surgery my right side hurts alot now as well. Been back to the doc so many times in the past year scared that I got another hernia. I just learned to deal with it. Hopefully it will eventually get better.
    I had my mesh done a year ago and I have mild chronic pain in the patch area. I also have had some puffiness that has never gone away, no discoloration. At one month the doctor said it was probably just a bit of air and should resolve itself, but it didn't. Anyway, I moved far away and I'm now thinking of getting around to get another doctor to check on it again, but I don't feel like I'm in a big hurry.

I don't think mild pain is a big price to pay for keeping my guts intact, if that's all it is. I've read about some people being impaired but I don't feel that way at all. My old lumbar hernia gives me far more troubles than this.

We're such wussies in the West.